2022 refresh seat comfort

A7K    Seat adjuster, passenger 16-way power including lumbar and massage

AT4X and Denali Ultimate are new trim levels.

AT4 and 'regular' Denali are still/also available.

A7K is only on AT4X and Denali Utimate

Chev also uses the A7K code -- but it says 10 way, and no mention of massage.

A7K    Seat adjuster, passenger 10-way power including lumbar

Standard on ZR2, LTZ and HC

I had both a 2012 and 2013 Silverado.  My 2012 was just fine but when I got the 2013 it was like sitting on concrete.  The only difference in them?  The 2013 had 'cooled' seats.  I always suspected they had to make them like that to keep the micro vents in the seats from collapsing under the weight of the driver.  My 18 Denali was the same way.  Now that all the leather trimmed season are 'ventilated' I still suspect that's the case.  I haven't really sat in cloth seats to get a good comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 2019 Trail Boss with heated leather seats and they were hard as a rock and very uncomfortable.  I ended up getting some gel seat cusions from Amazon and they helped.  After a year or so though I seemed to get used to them (or they broke in) and ditched the seat cusions.  I recently sold the Trail Boss and bought a 2021 LTZ with heated/ventilated seats with the safety 2 option and they seem better.  Still firm, but not rock-hard and uncomfortable.  I did make an 8 1/2 hour trip the other day however and my butt and thighs were pretty sore for a day.  I'm a big guy though pushing 300 ilbs, so I'm sure that's a factor.  Still, my overall impression is they are better.

Edited by JohnMr19
spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnMr19 said:

I had a 2019 Trail Boss with heater leather seats and they were hard as a rock and very uncomfortable.  I ended up getting some gel seat cusions from Amazon and they helped.  After a year or so though I seemed to get used to them (or they broke in) and ditched the seat cusions.  I recently sold the Trail Boss and bought a 2021 LTZ with heated/ventilated seats with the safety 2 option and they seem better.  Still firm, but not rock-hard and uncomfortable.  I did make an 8 1/2 hour trip the other day however and my butt and thighs were pretty sore for a day.  I'm a big guy though pushing 300 ilbs, so I'm sure that's a factor.  Still, my overall impression is they are better. 

I think that is the main issue is that the seats today are basically designed for someone in the 150-175 lbs range! Any variation that exceeds that, especially if you are over 6'3" will make for an unpleasant long range driving experience imo.

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

I think that is the main issue is that the seats today are basically designed for someone in the 150-175 lbs range! Any variation that exceeds that, especially if you are over 6'3" will make for an unpleasant long range driving experience imo.

How many truck drivers in the United States weigh 150lbs LOL

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mike Borowski said:

How many truck drivers in the United States weigh 150lbs LOL

Making my point, These trucks have all the interior room in the world for a far more comfortable seating arrangement, but have gone the other way for some reason! They have done nothing but trim the width, trim the height and have tried to start shaping them like an uncomfortable sports car seat.

I guess if anything they did improve the seats from the 07-13 GMT-900 model years which imo was the worst gm truck model ever built. gmt-900's were all about cost cutting measures and it showed!

I had a few new 1990s- 2000s GM trucks. The seat were the best. I was averaging 50-60K miles a year. Seat comfort was a priority. One of the many reasons after retirement I went searching for clean older trucks like my Avalanche.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 10:21 AM, BIGDOGx said:

Making my point, These trucks have all the interior room in the world for a far more comfortable seating arrangement, but have gone the other way for some reason! They have done nothing but trim the width, trim the height and have tried to start shaping them like an uncomfortable sports car seat.

I think a big part of the problem is the center console.  They've widened it so you can actually have a hanging file folder deal in there.  To make up for the added size of the console, I think the seats are more narrow.  I'm not sure how important that feature is to everyone, but I would think seat size and comfort would trump being able to use your console as a filing cabinet.  Of course that doesn't account for the rock hard seat cusions.  Maybe they're trying to save money or get the seats to last longer?  Anyone with the bench seat have the same issues with seat comfort?  My 2015 LT had the bench seats and they were probably the most comfortable seats I ever had.

3 hours ago, JohnMr19 said:

I think a big part of the problem is the center console.  They've widened it so you can actually have a hanging file folder deal in there.  To make up for the added size of the console, I think the seats are more narrow.  I'm not sure how important that feature is to everyone, but I would think seat size and comfort would trump being able to use your console as a filing cabinet.  Of course that doesn't account for the rock hard seat cusions.  Maybe they're trying to save money or get the seats to last longer?  Anyone with the bench seat have the same issues with seat comfort?  My 2015 LT had the bench seats and they were probably the most comfortable seats I ever had.

You hit the nail of the head!! I agree 💯 on the console area. That have made it so big that width of the seat is hindered.  My 1997 C\K ext. cab with bench seat and folding down console had the most comfortable seat I’ve ever sat in. It was almost “Lazy Boy” comfort.