Is This Tire Wear Normal?

In December, I had brand new Michelin Michelin X LT tires installed at 52,655 miles.  Since then, I have put 4,692 miles on them and have not yet rotated them.

The very same day that I had these tires installed, I had an alignment performed after only 16 miles of use (yes, I keep such detailed records!)  I have the alignment spec sheet I can dig out of my files if necessary, but it was slightly out of alignment beforehand, but after the alignment was performed my specs show perfect according to their print out.

As you can see the front 2 tires have more wear on the outermost edge, which the rear tires do not as I have not yet rotated them.  Is this normal wear?  I assume this may be attributed to the front end scrubbing on tight turns, as I can often fee the front-end performing quite jerky when at a slow speed full lock turn.  It feels as if the truck tries to push forward at the same time it is turning.  It is very hard to describe this sensation as most vehicles do not give this feeling, but most of the other vehicles I have experience driving are much smaller unibody cars and SUVs than full size trucks and SUVs.

All in all I just want to know if this tire wear appears to be normal.  The old tires exhibited similar wear at the very outer edge, although the tread pattern was different and there was much less tread life remaining in comparison to these relatively brand new tires.

I typically like to rotate tires around 7,000-8,000 miles regardless of vehicle type, so I'm not quite there yet.

Pics attached and labeled accordingly.

20230508_152208.jpg

The front tires steer the vehicle, so they are subject to scrub because of the steering. All that weight up front will push the sidewall over. That is completely normal wear for a tire.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 1

Just now, CamGTP said:

Think about it, what do front tires do on a vehicle?

They steer the vehicle, so they are subject to scrub because of the steering. All that weight up front will push the sidewall over. That is completely normal wear for a tire.

Yes I am aware especially with the characteristics of this vehicle I feel - it seems as though scrubbing at tight lock is much more apparent.  In other vehicles it is not.  Also this kind of wear is not as apparent with other vehicles that I inspect regularly.

• Like 1

I never thought any of these trucks turned well in tight spots. All of the GM trucks I've owned or driven while working in a shop kinda did that. If truck was AWD all the time or someone had it in 4A or 4WD it was worse than the 2WD trucks with no front differential.

Edited by CamGTP

5 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

I never thought any of these trucks turned well in tight spots. All of the GM trucks I've owned or driven while working in a shop kinda did that. If truck was AWD all the time or someone had it in 4A or 4WD it was worse than the 2WD trucks with no front differential.

Of course, turning in a tight lock in 4 wheel drive will crow-hop and puts a lot of strain on the differential, axles, universal joints or CV axles.

thats unacceptable , i have the same tires on my 2014 with 30k rotated every 6k miles and they have worn evenly. you need to try another alignment shop, if left that tire will be garbage at 20k. either camber or tow is out or both. what sucks is now that tire will continue to wear that way.my 2014 has 170k miles with original front end componets

Edited by silveradosid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, silveradosid said:

thats unacceptable , i have the same tires on my 2014 with 30k rotated every 6k miles and they have worn evenly. you need to try another alignment shop, if left that tire will be garbage at 20k. either camber or tow is out or both. what sucks is now that tire will continue to wear that way.my 2014 has 170k miles with original front end componets

That's unusual.  One person says it's fine the other says it's a disgrace 😥

There are alignments that are in spec and still not right. My first set of Duelers went 125K miles and not worn out when they dated out. 40K on this set of Scorpions with like wear. Like @silveradosid, she's at 165K with the original front ball joints, tie rods etc. That said @CamGTP isn't wrong. If the truck is going to turn, then the tire is going to scrub. Slip angles are what make four-wheel vehicles turn. 

Can I see the finished alignment sheet with the factory limits attached?  All four wheels. 

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

There are alignments that are in spec and still not right. My first set of Duelers went 125K miles and not worn out when they dated out. 40K on this set of Scorpions with like wear. Like @silveradosid, she's at 165K with the original front ball joints, tie rods etc. That said @CamGTP isn't wrong. If the truck is going to turn, then the tire is going to scrub. Slip angles are what make four-wheel vehicles turn. 

Can I see the finished alignment sheet with the factory limits attached?  All four wheels. 

From December 9th.

Untitled.png

Man you could drive yourself crazy with alignment and vibration. I never got an alignment, ever. My tires go at least 50K miles with 10K rotation. All my vehicles have a slight steering wheel vibration on certain roads. A little less than 50 percent on trip vehicle, new tires. Around town vehicles a little longer.