Tailgate Theft / Additional Locks?

This came to mind while reading another post on here. Since the tailgate can be removed pretty easily without tools, do most of you keep your tailgate locked?

Probably a pretty basic topic but I've never really thought about it. I wonder how much of a problem tailgate theft is. Looks like it takes two people to do it easily, but one idiot can mess it up pretty bad trying.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to be a hot item around the DFW area so yep, I keep mine locked all the time. Won't keep them from taking it if they really want it but I'd think they'd just move on to find another if yours is locked.

i would like to keep it locked. although i dont due to the fact that i hate it when im about to load something in the back and i delicatly balance whatever i have with one hand and one legged hiked up under the item and i go to open the tailgate and BAM its locked. so now i have to put the stuff down and get my keys out and unlock it... sounds stupid and it really is but that really pisses me off... going off that other topic im def going to get the power locking tailgate thingy eventually.

so to answer your question. no i dont keep it locked but i should because they steal those things around here (houston, tx) like nothing, that and OE wheels. although i dont live in houston i live in a suburb the houston terds make their way down to the suburbs to commit their crimes now. damn theives.

I just installed one of these onto my Sierra this past weekend.

I'm going to have to order one of these. But I was reading the reviews and there was mention about not fitting some GM's, I'm assuming yours fit fine. One guy wrapped his in electrical tape to keep it from scratching the paint. Does it move around quite a bit when opening/closing the tailgate?

Also there were a couple comments about the gripping part made of plastic - see any problems with that? I'm assuming if someone sees there's a lock, they're gonna move on, so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks for the info.

I just installed one of these onto my Sierra this past weekend.

Can you describe the installation...difficulty level, time involved, photos, etc. Another member plans to install on this weekend I believe but I'd be interested to hear your experience. Also, does it work satisfactorily?

I bought a clamp from MacGuard. It's basically a hose clamp wrapped in plastic but I figure since it has a special socket to remove (like a wheel lug) it's going to deter a scumbag who happens to have screwdrivers.

Can you describe the installation...difficulty level, time involved, photos, etc. Another member plans to install on this weekend I believe but I'd be interested to hear your experience. Also, does it work satisfactorily?

It took less than 5 minutes to install. You just use the key to unlock it, pull back the toothed part, and put it over the tailgate hinge. It is a very close fit, but it does work. Closing the tailgate results in a very slight resistance right at the end, but no scratches appeared on the paint that I could see. The part that goes around the hinge on the top is plastic sandwiched in metal. It comes with two pieces of velcro. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them, so I applied it the side of the lock next to the tailgate surface and to the tailgate surface itself. It keeps the lock from rattling. I'm very satisfied considering the price. As an aside, when I added it to my Amazon cart, it was just over $18. I didn't buy it then. When I came back to the cart several hours later, it was the current price, $13.82. So I saved $5 by waiting. Will it return to the $18 price? Who knows.

Archived