Z71 vs standard shocks

Me too....my 16 & 16 Sierra all terrain has them & I have not one complaint

I had a '14 All terrain that got totaled, but had 40,000 miles at the time. I was planning on swapping out the rancho shocks on that truck to bilstein 5100s - I replaced it w/ a new '15 All terrain 1500 w/ the ranchos and I realized just how terrible these shocks really are. Sure, the brand new '15 on ranchos rides OK, but I immediately realized the ranchos on my '14 were toast and had been probably since 20-25,000 miles - bilsteins last MUCH longer, I have had them on my performance vehicles in the past.

Those that say they love their Ranchos have never had Bilstiens. If you did, you wouldn't be saying you love the Ranchos at all and I truly believe that.

The stock Ranchos are junk. I'm pretty sure at 23,000 miles mine are completely shot. If they aren't, that's a testament to just how bad these shocks really are. The only reason I haven't swapped them for Bilstiens yet is because I've had other expenses take precedence in my budget this year.

It's tough to really put the difference into words....it's a feeling that's tough to describe. But in my attempt to describe it for you, Bilstiens seem to make the truck handle better, especially when taking corners, and they settle wheel hop better than any other shock I've ever experienced which gives you better traction and control of the vehicle. They also have a lifespan of like 100,000 miles before ever needing changing as opposed to most other brands of shocks which need replaement anywhere between 30,000 and 75,000 miles max.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

• 6 months later...

I've never thought about changing the shocks on my truck before, but reading this and other threads make me wonder...

Can someone tell me the cost you've paid for a shop to do the swap?

Also, I'm sure there's a huge difference if you are doing serious off road driving/ racing. But the only off-road I do is at very low speeds in farm lanes or while plowing snow. I'm used to feeling the bumps, its a truck after all. Could anyone provide feedback on the performance of the Bilsteins in this type of driving?

to all the guy's who have installed Billstiens, what is the preferred set up? 5100 adjustables for the front and 5100 regular for the rear or another choice for the rear.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking for the softest around town shock for my 14 all terrain. Occasionally need 4X but for most part in town

and on interstate. Had a 2002 Avalanche northface that was an extremely comfortable truck, don't know what

shocks they used on it. Been having issues with a loose feeling drivers seat, the suspension might be part of

the problem

to all the guy's who have installed Billstiens, what is the preferred set up? 5100 adjustables for the front and 5100 regular for the rear or another choice for the rear.

Thanks in advance

Also curious about this and whether or not parts for a 2015 will work on my 2016 because I cannot find any Bilstein products when I specify the 2016 model year.

I went from a '15 Z71 4x4 CC with the rancho shocks to a '16 4x4 CC without Z71 and honestly I cant tell any difference ride-wise. Only thing I can feel is the Rancho/Z71 shocks used to bounce a few times when coming to a stop (like bad shocks) and the non ranchos dont. Could have been a bad shock or two with the Z71 truck, did it since it was new and kinda got used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's how the Z71 sits, it's not just emblems and decals, per the Chevy website:

LT Z71 features for 2016

"LT Z71 includes all LT features, with the addition or substitution of:

• 18-inch bright machined aluminum wheels and All-terrain tires
  • Body-color headlamp bezels
  • Body-color grille surround
  • Chrome lower bumper appearance
  • Black Recovery Hooks
  • LED fog lamps
  • Z71 appearance package (Brushed metal Z71 door plate, unique gauge cluster and unique finish interior trim plates)
  • Heavy-duty locking rear differential
  • Hill Descent Control
  • Trailering Package
  • Underbody transfer case shield
  • Z71 Off-Road Suspension with twin Rancho monotube shocks "

The last item indicates that the Z71 uses a different off road suspension not just different shocks, and additional mechanical and electronic options over the equivalent LT or LTZ so how can someone say too soft or too stiff because apparently the shocks are balanced to the system. Ever consider that the Z71 ride with whatever shocks were put in is exactly the way it was designed to ride and it's a mistake is to put in a shock that provides a ride that is softer on your a$$ at the expense of degraded off road handling? Don't like the stiff ride with the aggressive tred tires? Then get the LT or LTZ version.

Painting anything white that is exposed on the undercarriage is an invitation to showing rust, but surface rust does not affect performance. Interesting that some people seem to care more about the poor paint job on the shocks where it doesn't matter than the crappy "Jello" clear coat finish and snot coating on the frames.

• Like 1

Yes, they make it much more stiff. Some people don't like this and some do. I have been driving trucks my whole life and that is all I have ever owned and expect a truck to be a little stiff and it does not bother me but others it does. The rancho shocks are crap anyway, plan on changing over to bistien leveling shocks when my 3 year warranty is up.

Does swapping out the shocks void your warranty or risk the chance of coverage if something happens?