GM Pickup Headlight Issue Validated By IIHS Testing

Gorehamj

Never had a problem with mine int he country, even on VA back roads which are the worst country roads I've ever been on. Do you have the projectors? I have the normal ones.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is stock and night driving on the back roads is terrible. Not sure if using different bulbs is the answer.Led bulbs? Anybody use just led bulbs??

Do you use high beams since the country and pretty much what high beams are for? If I'm not in a town the highs are on like it should be. For me even low beam isn't that bad.

I miss my 2010 Silverado lights. Loved the 4 light system (2 high, 2 low) I would assume the 2014/2015 Silverados with the reflective housings would be comparable.

I've got a 2015 Sierra and the projector headlights have taken getting used to with the low beam shutter cut off. Recently installed Rigid SAE fogs and they light up the road dramatically. Morimoto HID kit is getting installed next weekend.

I thought all the Denalis had the LED headlights? These 2016 LED headlights are kick arse, check your RPO codes maybe you got a Denali that does not have the LED's?

I think the LED headlight RPO code is T4L

Yea they are LED I just want them raised a little bit up. They look great but to me they seem like they're pointing down too much and I cant see further in the distance.

Well it wouldn't bother me since it's your money, just would seem a bit much if that was the only reason. If you also want the truck to stay level then fine. I mean just 1" drop isn't that big of a deal. You could just air up the rear tires a little to make up for the drop and then let the air back out. Not only would it give the ride (not exact, but roughly and close) and contact patch as the front and without a load but it would raise the rear back up a little. Wouldn't take long and thought that was something you were supposed to do anyways. But, I'm often wrong so don't follow my advice.

Air up the rear tires to increase the height one inch?

And one inch is more than it sounds.

So let's stop it here since you are correct, I won't be following your advice.

Mine is stock and night driving on the back roads is terrible. Not sure if using different bulbs is the answer.Led bulbs? Anybody use just led bulbs??

I installed a set of LED bulbs in a previous vehicle and they sucked. Produced a very white light for sure, but no distance. Mine were not projector beam headlamps and that might have been the problem, projector beams may work better with the LED assembly.

Air up the rear tires to increase the height one inch?

And one inch is more than it sounds.

So let's stop it here since you are correct, I won't be following your advice.

I did say that it would just be close, not exactly the 1". I was saying the purpose of airing up the rear is to keep the contact patch the same and not that I think about it, keep the tire wear even. Airing up will just raise the rear back up a little so no I wasn't saying the purpose of airing up would be to raise the rear back up. But hey, you want to spend a few hundred for air bags just to raise it up the 1", which isn't much, then be my guest. Doesn't bother me since it's your money, just giving an opinion.

Lest we forget, Gm used to be able to build a vehicle that did not vibrate, the tranny did not shift like shit, the throttle had good response and the headlights provided ample illumination. I guess it is hard to remember how to do these things correctly. I actually passed on purchasing a new Sierra 1500 after I test drove one and was told all of this nonsense was normal. Gm has had problems since 2014 with their new platform and cannot determine where the problems lie in a small percentage of the vehicles, some of the problems occur right out of the box, others after nominal mileage. I used to purchase a factory order without so much as a test drive, I now no longer will do this because of these underlying problems. I feel that these new technologies like Active Fuel Mgmt are going to present their own set of problems, some owners with the 5.3 V-8 are noticing problems, Cylinder Deactivation is promising 7.5% more efficiency for mileage but at what cost. We are being told not to try to remedy any problems yourself or else the warranty is out the window, just drive some more so the truck gets to know your driving habits. I'm also sure none of the new lane departure, rear view camera or other newer options will ever fail after 36K miles, hell I'm still trying to rectify my wheel sensors telling me I need air in my right front tire for the millionth time. Give me the 327CI, 375HP small block and I'll be one happy camper.

They've been using cylinder deactivation for over a decade - had it on my '07 Silvy & '08 G8 GT too, in fact GM had versions of it dating way back to like the late 70's on caddys I think.

Other manufacturers are using similar tech now as well, in fact my wife's MDX (the one w/ the superior headlights lol) has it too.

I wouldn't go jumping all over GM for EVERYTHING now....they still make the best trucks and best sports car America has to offer.

And the ONLY "real" luxury car made in the US by a US company nowadays is a Cadillac. I have no idea how Lincoln stays relevant, straight poo.

They've been using cylinder deactivation for over a decade - had it on my '07 Silvy & '08 G8 GT too, in fact GM had versions of it dating way back to like the late 70's on caddys I think.

Other manufacturers are using similar tech now as well, in fact my wife's MDX (the one w/ the superior headlights lol) has it too.

I wouldn't go jumping all over GM for EVERYTHING now....they still make the best trucks and best sports car America has to offer.

And the ONLY "real" luxury car made in the US by a US company nowadays is a Cadillac. I have no idea how Lincoln stays relevant, straight poo.

The Caddy debacle ended in 1982 and GM began DoD in 2005. These new features make motors much more complex which makes more things to break, if our government did not dictate regulations concerning MPG's you would not see cylinder deactivation. The claimed result is an increase of 7% in fuel savings with cylinder deactivation. I began purchasing GM vehicles in 1969 and my current Silverado does not vibrate nor shift erratically, the throttle response is outstanding and the headlights enable me to see at night. When you purchase a 60K truck, issues with vibration, crummy shifts, crummy throttle response and lousy headlights should not occur, some of these issues coincide with the introduction in 2014 of the K2XX platform. I have friends who purchased the Denali and are very frustrated with these issues, not something I would want to deal with. I will wait to see when a remedy exists and purchase a new Sierra 1500, I think that will be about the 25th GM vehicle I have owned !!

The Caddy debacle ended in 1982 and GM began DoD in 2005. These new features make motors much more complex which makes more things to break, if our government did not dictate regulations concerning MPG's you would not see cylinder deactivation. The claimed result is an increase of 7% in fuel savings with cylinder deactivation. I began purchasing GM vehicles in 1969 and my current Silverado does not vibrate nor shift erratically, the throttle response is outstanding and the headlights enable me to see at night. When you purchase a 60K truck, issues with vibration, crummy shifts, crummy throttle response and lousy headlights should not occur, some of these issues coincide with the introduction in 2014 of the K2XX platform. I have friends who purchased the Denali and are very frustrated with these issues, not something I would want to deal with. I will wait to see when a remedy exists and purchase a new Sierra 1500, I think that will be about the 25th GM vehicle I have owned !!

If you really hate the DOD I'm sure there will be delete kits available if there aren't already....or you could simply turn it off w/ a tune.

I had a DOD delete cam package from Livernois installed on my old G8 GT.....replaces the weak valve springs/lifters no more DOD & you get a nice power bump & a little more aggressive idle/sound.

Would be a cool "stealth" mod for the V8 trucks IMO.

I did say that it would just be close, not exactly the 1". I was saying the purpose of airing up the rear is to keep the contact patch the same and not that I think about it, keep the tire wear even. Airing up will just raise the rear back up a little so no I wasn't saying the purpose of airing up would be to raise the rear back up. But hey, you want to spend a few hundred for air bags just to raise it up the 1", which isn't much, then be my guest. Doesn't bother me since it's your money, just giving an opinion.

Did you, or can you even read my last sentence in the first post that addressed your concerns about my money?????

As a refresher....

"However, there are numerous reasons such as when carrying something heavy in the truck, smooths out washboard dirt roads, and the fact, I prefer the truck level even during the daytime."

As for my money. Give me a break. So far in three years I have purchased two NEW trucks ('15 Silverado traded in for a '16 Sierra), two new cars, two new cars ('14 CTS sold to purchase a 750i) ; all cash deals (have never financed a vehicle since the 90s), and you think $300.00 for a set of Ride Rite air bags, and another $300.00 for an Airlift wireless compressor is money? (Besides, the air bags are a good selling point since next year I will most likely be dumping the '16 GMC for either a '17 Silverado or '17 GMC 3500 with a Duramax since the trailer I currently haul is too small for me and my two dogs so I am going to upgrade (in all likelihood) to a 5th wheel. Really money? Can't take it with your, and I sure as hell am not leaving to any of my relatives.

So answer is you must, but you will be answering to no one.

In fact, trying to figure out how to get out of this thread so I no longer get ludicrous emails mentioning YOU!.

Back on subject of headlamps. I noticed today when driving over a narrow bridge at about 6 AM, that the left barrier wall had very little light from my headlamps shining on the top of the wall; whereas, the barrier wall on the right was lit up brightly, top-to-bottom, from the headlamps (as well as far forward). Not scientific, but it tells me that there is very little light shining in to the eyes of the drivers of oncoming vehicles.

Now, has anyone seen the '17 Ford trucks with the very large DRL lights? You can see those things a long way off and they are bright. Can't say I like them, but then again, they are on a Ford so I will never have to worry about driving one. This was rhetorical since I will no longer be visiting this thread. No longer interested, time to move on.

Archived