Need help with rebuilding rear end!

I have a 2002 Silverado and I need to know what special tools I need to rebuild my rear end for setting backlash and all that other good stuff. I'm even going to drop in a new LSD by Yukon Gear as well as a ring and pinion set by Yukon Gear. Can someone please let me know what specialty tools I need to complete this build, as well as the required torques on everything (Haynes manuals tell you to take it to a dealership :/ ) Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Then I would have to pay for the parts that I want, because supposably these factory LSD's are junk in my model truck, plus labor which will total to prob. bout 2000 total. If I were going to do that then I would just buy a rebuilt one from Jasper or somewhere similar

Money in the bank, ahead to take it and let somebody that has done several to do this for you. You need some special tools and not know what your doing to cause you to have to re-lick your calf if you don't get it right. That is you could have to pay for the same thing 2 times. I have seen people do this for years. And I laugh when I see them come back for the second set of parts.

But then again I'm just the parts guy....... but I do have all the tools, I just choose not to work on stuff for a living.

Jbo

I'll pull motors and transmissions any time, but I don't do gears...

you need at least a mentor that knows what they are doing looking over your shoulders. If you screw it up you will be miserable. I took my last truck to a local shop with my own parts and spent $300 for the install. It was well worth it.

• 7 months later...

im having the same problem i have never had to deal with a rear end going bad. now i have the money to fix it but not enough to buy new i personaly have put a lot of thought into taking my 10 bolt out and putting a 14 bolt in its place but not sure what problems i will encounter any advice would be appreciated thanks

Archived