Overheating problems!

The thing is that after watching a few videos about bleeding the air I don't think I did it right. The cap should've been off, among a few other small things that were different from what I did and what they did.

She runs fine and there's no coolant in the oil, so that doesn't worry me yet.

I am not sure I would call overheating running fine.

What I mean is that when she's not running hot she's performing as usual.

So for now I will try to bleed again, if that doesn't work then a flush to get any junk out of the system. And to be honest, we've used tap water in the past when filling her up. =/

These trucks have a history of cracked heads and blown head gaskets that do exactly what you discribe.

To check for a "blown head gasket", when the engine is cold remove the radiator cap, and start the engine, once the thermostat is open, if you see air bubbles rising to the top of the radiator, you have a bad head gasket.

To check for a "blown head gasket", when the engine is cold remove the radiator cap, and start the engine, once the thermostat is open, if you see air bubbles rising to the top of the radiator, you have a bad head gasket.

I did that and there were no air bubbles. (knock on wood that this problem isn't happening to me anytime soon )

Have you tried another thermostat as suggested?

I have not.

But I'll update this thread later tonight....

Edited by white1500

If you do replace the thermostat, try to find a "Morad" or some other brand name which is "fail safe", that is if the thermostat "fails" it fails in the open position.

It has been running fine since just last week I accidentally "flushed" a lot of coolant out.

I thought that the truck had cooled enough and decided to remove the surge tank cap.... well let's say that it wasn't cooled down enough! lol

A ton of coolant flowed out, and with it a lot of mineral deposits from the system. They were laid over the airbox and in other areas, so it's apparent that I have a lot of that crud in there.

So now it actually lasts a little longer without the needle creeping up.

Although I have decided that I will be replacing the radiator and perhaps the thermostat sometime soon. I can't imagine what the inside of the radiator looks like after seeing what came out with the coolant, and considering the fact that radiator is very cheap and from 2007 I think it's better to replace now to avoid more troubles down the road.

Today we reached 116 degrees and it's not going to be the hottest temperature of the summer. The cooling system really needs to be taken care of.

I did mine a few weeks ago. Went to the 34" 05+ radiator with 05+ electric fans and a massive transmission cooler. It gets pretty hot where I live

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Which radiator brand do you recommend without breaking the bank? The current one is a cheapo brand and was slightly below $200 IIRC.

And I need to stick to the current size due to budget constraints at the moment. Although in my day dreams I do see myself going to electric fans and the large radiator.

It will break the bank, however "Be Cool" has some killer stuff.

Look at this another way, our engines are ALUMINUM, vice cast iron.

My point? overheating a cast iron block is no big deal, you remove the head, resurface, new head gasket and thermo, YOUR DONE.

Overheat a aluminum block, and it is toast, you have a greater chance of cracking either the head or the block (God forbid. Either way you are in for some very big bucks.

A quality dual or quad core, all aluminum radiator is really only money in the bank, in the long run it will save you money and heartache.

Edited by Gurrzt