The trouble begins, no start

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were cleaning the lot at work today moving new trucks and ran into a very similar situation. They got in the truck, it started, they backed it out of the spot it was in and it just shut down on them. Hooked a booster pack and it would key on but click trying to start. When we removed the cables, it had absolutely zero power to anything key on or off. Will keep you posted as to what we find out with it.

If it is a BCM logic lock issue, sometimes you can get them to reboot by pulling both battery cables and touching them together for about 10 seconds. It discharges any capacitors in the various modules and powers everything down. Then reconnect the battery and try again. If it works I would be sure to visit your dealer to make sure it has all the latest and greatest software installed. We see it from time to time generally it is just too much stuff trying to happen over the vehicles network at once and when something doesn't go as programmed the modules kind of end up in limbo. The software updates usually take care of these issues. Unfortunately from my understanding of GM's Global A architecture if one of the modules is removed (or fails in a manner that results in it not communicating) that can also shut communications down resulting in a no start.

Craig

Alright called onstar all they could offer is we will send a tow truck so I just hung up. Finally after about an hour and 30 tries it magically just fired up. Tried it a few times and it starts. It is -20 at the moment right now probably -30 tonight so will see if it happens again in the morning. Appreciate the quick reply's this forum has served better for help than the dealer or onstar has been.

So im at work right now -20 if that matters again. Went out to move the truck and and same thing click click for about 10 tries. Moved the shift lever from park to manual and back held the key in the forward position for a while and finally started. Not sure if either of those things did anything, volt meter shows 11 then once started moves to 14+. Frustrating. Is there anyway to use my vin online and see if there is any recals for my truck or is that all needed to be done at the dealer?

I think if I were you, I'd get it to the dealer either by towing it or the very next time it starts. Hopefully you'll be able to get a loaner. You don't want to be stranded anywhere especially at -20.

If you go to this link you can enter your vin and find active recalls:

https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1

Thank you that is the exact link I was looking for. Says my truck has no recalls using the vin so im assuming it doesn't need the BCM reflash. I'm going to bring it to the dealer monday however they will make me book an appointment and im sure they wont be able to recreate what happens seems it only happens after the truck sits once warm it starts perfect. Throwing no codes and if there are no recalls shown with link provided, I really dont think see them helping me till it 100% quits. Hoping someone else has an answer on here. Thanks again.

The BCM re flash is not considered a recall, it's a Technical Service Bulletin. So it would not show up as a recall. Have your dealer look at this. It may not be the issue as you guys stated but it's a start. ademedyv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found someone with the same problem also from Canada so I think its temperature related. His truck was taken to dealer. Has been -10 to -20 and truck has been fine last 2 days now temp is -25 to -30 and the problem shows up again. Repeated attemps of turning the key before it will end up starting just waiting to be stranded so want to figure this out. I'm told my truck has the latest updates.

Dealer did not find anything:

"They ran through a bunch of battery and starter checks and everything was good from what the saw. They put some die electric grease on solenoid connector and that's about the only 'fixing' that I can see they did. They left it outside last night and said it started fine this morning"

Any other cold temp trucks having the same problem?

Found someone with the same problem also from Canada so I think its temperature related. His truck was taken to dealer. Has been -10 to -20 and truck has been fine last 2 days now temp is -25 to -30 and the problem shows up again. Repeated attemps of turning the key before it will end up starting just waiting to be stranded so want to figure this out. I'm told my truck has the latest updates.

Dealer did not find anything:

"They ran through a bunch of battery and starter checks and everything was good from what the saw. They put some die electric grease on solenoid connector and that's about the only 'fixing' that I can see they did. They left it outside last night and said it started fine this morning"

Any other cold temp trucks having the same problem?

Did they do the service bulletin programming update?

Archived