Gas Gage Drops to "E" randomly

My gas Gage will randomly drop to below "E" Randomly then if bang the tank or somtimes even stomp my foot on the floor it will go back to normal, before i drop the tank i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be ???

That was info needed. I would look to the things mentioned. What mileage? If it is the original fuel pump, wouldnt hurt to replace it.

104k and is the original pump just got it gonna run through and start replacing the normal thing was hoping that i would not have to drop the tank but i guess i shall

Just found out from previous owner that the fuel pump was replaced less than 30k ago, and the issue was happening before and after the new pump.

if it was a cheap aftermarket pump, it is worse than the worn one that was removed. If you can bang on the tank and that fixes it, it is likely the sending unit which is part of the pump. Unlikely, but could possibly be a connector or wires near the tank. A 2000 does not have stepper motors for the fuel gauge, it is magnetic. Does the low fuel light come on also?

This is a shot in dark but might be worth a try. Try running a couple tanks of fuel with Techron fuel system cleaner in it.

I read about this happening on lots of C5 corvettes on Corvette forum. Shortly after that mine did the same thing, I knew I had 3/4 tank of fuel

but needle showed empty. After putting the Techron in for a couple tanks it started working properly again. This was about 4 years ago

and it hasn't happened since. Like I said, shot in the dark but that's what I'd try first.

Yeah the low fuel light does come on if i bang the tank or even hit a bump it fixes it self, the previous owner (my father) changed the fuel pump not to long ago im not sure if it was a cheap one or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived