I've had everything 

On 7/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, wreckdiver said:

Sorry to hear that. Could be multiple different things that may or may not happen in any particular truck, and everyone is describing it as a rattle in that area. I posted a couple other noises I found earlier in the thread. They were there but not as loud as the body panel flex noise that went away when I took off the steps.

What does your sound like? Is it a metallic clicking sound or just a general vibration? If you remove the pillar cover, about half way down, there's a metal seat belt guide that looks brass. It is mounted in there sloppy with way too much play. I want to slap the guy who designed it. Bottom line is it can rattle into the sheet metal behind it.

If that happens to be your noise, all I did was put some double sided sticky tape behind it as a cushion/gasket so it doesn't directly hit metal on metal.

I have the distinct metal ticking that the OP has - no vibrations.  Mine is on both sides of the truck in the B pillar and more recently, under the driver's door speaker - clearly coming from something in the metal under the actual door or dealing with the hinges that connect to the body.  I've had all the panels off, padded everything (literally done everything since I got the truck a year ago except spray foam like the Colorado owner suggested.  The dealer has torqued every bolt except the ones that require you to take the front fender off on the driver's door.  The other funky thing is that when I work the back doors of my crew cab back and forth once it gets hot out, I hear a clicking coming from the metal near the b pillar.  If I squeeze the frame with my hand about 2 inches in from where the b pillar metal turns into the door frame in the back doors, the noise temporarily goes away as I work the door back and forth.  I have a few youtube videos up showing all this that I'm happy to link here if it helps anyone... but so far, I'm at a complete standstill.  

On 7/25/2019 at 8:17 AM, davidsp101 said:

I've had everything 

I have the distinct metal ticking that the OP has - no vibrations.  Mine is on both sides of the truck in the B pillar and more recently, under the driver's door speaker - clearly coming from something in the metal under the actual door or dealing with the hinges that connect to the body.  I've had all the panels off, padded everything (literally done everything since I got the truck a year ago except spray foam like the Colorado owner suggested.  The dealer has torqued every bolt except the ones that require you to take the front fender off on the driver's door.  The other funky thing is that when I work the back doors of my crew cab back and forth once it gets hot out, I hear a clicking coming from the metal near the b pillar.  If I squeeze the frame with my hand about 2 inches in from where the b pillar metal turns into the door frame in the back doors, the noise temporarily goes away as I work the door back and forth.  I have a few youtube videos up showing all this that I'm happy to link here if it helps anyone... but so far, I'm at a complete standstill.  

Post the link. I’m curious what yours sounds like. 

On 7/31/2019 at 7:30 PM, davidsp101 said:

When mine does it it sort of sounds like that too, but it doesn't really do it very often - only on extremely hard jolts or bumps.

I realized looking back at the forums that you also had a rattling passenger seat that you fixed by placing wooden shims under the rail- do you have a picture or description of what you did?  My passenger seat rattles on rough roads better than 50% of the time and its driving me insane.  It sounds like its coming from the back of the seat - when I push on the seat towards the door the rattle basically goes away..  Its metallic sounding but I wouldnt be surprised if its actually a loose wiring harness or something. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Miller said:

When mine does it it sort of sounds like that too, but it doesn't really do it very often - only on extremely hard jolts or bumps.

I realized looking back at the forums that you also had a rattling passenger seat that you fixed by placing wooden shims under the rail- do you have a picture or description of what you did?  My passenger seat rattles on rough roads better than 50% of the time and its driving me insane.  It sounds like its coming from the back of the seat - when I push on the seat towards the door the rattle basically goes away..  Its metallic sounding but I wouldnt be surprised if its actually a loose wiring harness or something. 

Nevermind, I saw you replied to a post about someone putting wooden shims under the seat...

• 2 weeks later...

Just took my truck for a spin and the b pillar was rattling pretty bad actually. Probably about as bad as I’ve heard of it in a while. Wasn’t doing it on way home from work earlier. Temp has dropped a little since so It must be in that sweet spot when the metal is just the right temperature to make the noise (89 outside).   Real fun when the pillar and passenger seat rattle simultaneously. 

I like the truck but these things are really infuriating sometimes. Especially because it’s still so new. I really don’t want to mess with the dealer too considering I was just there because my wheels were stolen and I had it there to get them replaced 

im really considering getting rid of it lately. Between the weird noises and the wheels being a magnet for thieves I just don’t know..

Edited by Bob Miller

Still noise free for several weeks after removing the side steps. I'm getting used to doing the right buttcheek shimmy dance getting in. Funny thing is, now that the most annoying noise in gone, I hear every other little noise throughout the truck LOL. Not complaining though because that stupid pillar rattle was driving me loco. Good luck guys.

1 hour ago, wreckdiver said:

Still noise free for several weeks after removing the side steps. I'm getting used to doing the right buttcheek shimmy dance getting in. Funny thing is, now that the most annoying noise in gone, I hear every other little noise throughout the truck LOL. Not complaining though because that stupid pillar rattle was driving me loco. Good luck guys.

This morning on my way to work the pillar noise was only there on the hardest of bumps.  pretty much nonexistent and quiet.  I guess that's the most frustrating part- the noise comes and goes.  I'd probably take it to the dealer and it wouldn't do it. 

I'm glad that took care of the noise for you though.  I've toyed with taking the running boards off myself since being on this thread but my wife would definitely not like getting in and out without them.

I wish that was all it took for me.  No running boards and the noise happens almost every morning... except when I take it to the dealer.  My rear door on the driver's side also ticks when I open and close it after the truck has been sitting in the heat for a while.  Once I open and close it 2-3 times, the noise goes away.

I can't really make the ticking sound by opening and closing the rear door - but I can make the sound by grabbing the running board and moving it up or pushing it down.

In the middle of the heat of the day it makes no noise at all - I can hit the largest bumps and potholes you can find and it won't do it.  But in the mornings and in the evenings in summer when its in the 80s it will click and tick on those large potholes.

1 hour ago, Bob Miller said:

I can't really make the ticking sound by opening and closing the rear door - but I can make the sound by grabbing the running board and moving it up or pushing it down.

This is at the core of the issue for me. The noise is coming from a flexing of a body panel. The sidesteps simply act as a lever arm on the body panel and cause it to flex more dramatically. Removing the side steps doesn't fix the root cause but has certainly eliminated the symptom.

I know this doesn't really solve the problem of what's causing the ticking but has anyone given thought to taking off the lower panel of the interior b pillar trim and then strategically placing some kind of sound deadening foam or rubber inside on the walls of the pillar or on the back of the trim?  I've seen product that stereo shops use to reduce rattling and noises.

thought about doing that but not sure if it would dampen the tick or not..