Wow that’s scary honestly yea your right I guess it can be an assembly line issue. My first thought was the wonderful dealer techs lol I found the pic I was gonna bring to the dealer the next time I go lol. . cd90965ab3d3abd639edc6c3205f0022.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 15 did the same thing at about 15,000 miles tightened them all up and now they’ve loosened again at around 33,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cause and Solution!

FYI, my truck is a 2017 Chevy Colorado.  Nevertheless, the noise I was hearing matches exactly what you all are experiencing.  

It appears as though my problem with the issue may finally be resolved. I attached service notes from the dealer. But in a nutshell: Near the B pillar pass through connector, there are two pieces of sheet metal sandwiched together that were causing the rattle. There should be a small amount of space between the two pieces, but there wasn't enough. Which is probably why I only heard the noise during warmer weather, as heat causes expansion. The techs at the body shop injected some 3M foam in the area of the B-pillar pass through to eliminate the two pieces contacting each other.

ColoradoBpillar.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 8:38 AM, gscott7 said:

Anyone noticing this rattle to be temperature dependent?  The cooler it is, the less I hear it. 

I've noticed it on my 16. When its cold it does not make the noise but as soon as the cab warms up it does it.

On 1/5/2018 at 6:05 PM, gscott7 said:
Cause and Solution!

FYI, my truck is a 2017 Chevy Colorado.  Nevertheless, the noise I was hearing matches exactly what you all are experiencing.  

It appears as though my problem with the issue may finally be resolved. I attached service notes from the dealer. But in a nutshell: Near the B pillar pass through connector, there are two pieces of sheet metal sandwiched together that were causing the rattle. There should be a small amount of space between the two pieces, but there wasn't enough. Which is probably why I only heard the noise during warmer weather, as heat causes expansion. The techs at the body shop injected some 3M foam in the area of the B-pillar pass through to eliminate the two pieces contacting each other.

ColoradoBpillar.jpg

Thank you for posting this. Its cold now so this annoying noise has slipped my mind. Come summer I will be removing the panels to see if I can locate what the technicians were talking about in the repair order. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi you have replied to my YouTube channel and I am trying to get this issue out on blast or go viral now so GM can get a real idea how prevalent this issue is. No fix yet after six trys.  Please contact GM customer support and open a case against this rattle. You can reference my case number. 8-4504793819. Also view my thread here and leave a comment. https://www.silveradosierra.com/interior/b-pillar-rattle-t703078.html

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2018 at 6:05 PM, gscott7 said:
Cause and Solution!

ColoradoBpillar.jpg

So glad you posted this.  I was having this issue but since it has gotten colder lately the dealer could not reproduce the noise and had no idea what to do.   So instead of waiting until spring and hoping they could hear it then I sent them your print out and they did exactly the same thing.  Time will tell if it worked for sure or not, but at least they did something and didnt just tell me I was crazy :)    I also had the rattle in the dash going on and they took my entire center console and dash apart and found 2 bolts that were not tight.   So hopefully now all my random noises are done.

Anyone know how to remove the trim to get access to the inside of the b pillar?  Some instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Update: Got the pillar off.  Definitely coming from the rectangular cut out where the wire harness goes to the door. The post about the two pieces of metal is spot on.  Now I’m just hoping my dealer will do the same thing. 

Edited by davidsp101

• 2 months later...

I have this same B pillar rattle / metallic ticking noise in my 2017 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab.  The noise was real bad last summer when the temp warmed up. It was driving me absolutely bonkers. 

Because I just knew taking it to the dealer was going to be a real pain in the neck and they probably wouldn't be able to fix it, I took the top part of the interior B pillar trim off myself and decided to spray automotive /marine foam into the empty space inside the pillar .  It didn't do anything to stop the sound.

During the fall and winter it went away but mysteriously now here in January it started rearing its ugly head again over the last couple days, getting worse back to the point it was at last summer.

Zooming ahead to now, and reading that it could be the cut out where the wire harness goes to the door, do you guys know if this is something that maybe can be accessed and fixed by somehow popping open (or popping off) the rubber wiring harness you can see when the back door is opened?  I really don't think I want to mess with those trim panels inside out of fear I'll never get them back on flush again (or worse, breaking or cracking them)

Any thoughts  on this?  

Incidentally I've also been trying to figure out how to stop my passenger seat from rattling when its empty :(

The other thing I find interesting is the pass through connector is kind of low in the pillar, but the noise seems like its up in the area where the seat belt comes out of the pillar - right next to my ear.  

Edited by Bob Miller

• 4 weeks later...

GM released a TSB for the Colorado and Canyon #PIT5632 but hasn't provided a fix yet.  If you go read some of the Colorado forums, they're having the identical issue.  Apparently the TSB was opened in September of 18 and reads:

"Engineering is investigating this concern.  The root cause has been determined and best path to repair is being evaluated.  Attempt no repair at this time.  DO NOT put expanding foam in the pillar, this will not repair the concern and will make the eventual repair more difficult.  This PI will be updated when the repair procedure has been established."

If anyone can provide additional info beyond what's on gm-trucks about this issue, I'd really appreciate it.  I love my truck but this constant rattling in the b pillars is awful.  

Bob - I've had the dealer take my b pillars off and remove the black rubber around the wiring harness.  You can see a small gap between the two layers of sheet metal but you can't get anything down in there to see what might be touching.  I don't believe you'll be able to accomplish anything by taking the panel off and disconnecting the wiring harness.

Edited by davidsp101
Responding to Bob Miller's comment

I think...think I figured this out...if you pull off the pillar cover (whichever of yours is ticking) mine happened to be the rear in a 15’ crew. At the bottom of the seat belt right before it goes into the reel there is a plastic guide that pivots and is very close to the body. I put a piece of door insulation (home) like a foam on adhesive behind it on the body so it cannot tap against the metal. Now I’m not positive because I just did this today and typically if I open or close that door I lose the tick for a while but I also think it is here and there due to the tension on the belt at times. Again not sure this is the fix but it is all I have found that gives me hope not to steer it off a bridge. Update...noise is back two days later ?

Edited by Mikie79