On 8/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, Frank4202 said:

My tick was coming from the interior window trim which meets the headliner. I stuffed some foam in and havent heard the noise since. Good luck.

Do you have a picture of this area where you stuffed the foam in ?

9 hours ago, Bob Miller said:

Do you have a picture of this area where you stuffed the foam in ?

I found this picture online. Its a piece of trim thats black in color. I was able to use a plastic trim tool and insert foam. Luckily, that solved my nose. Hope this helps. 

trim1.png

My b pillar was ticking like crazy this morning - almost on every groove in the road.  (and of course my passenger seat was clicking and ticking like crazy too )

I saw something about finding the "b pillar pass through connector" and spraying expanding foam near it where two pieces of sheet metal are wedged together on a post about someone with a Chevy Colorado.  Does anyone know what that is ?  I'm assuming its where the wiring harness boot attaches to the pillar but I'm just taking a wild guess.

1 hour ago, Bob Miller said:

My b pillar was ticking like crazy this morning - almost on every groove in the road.  (and of course my passenger seat was clicking and ticking like crazy too )

I saw something about finding the "b pillar pass through connector" and spraying expanding foam near it where two pieces of sheet metal are wedged together on a post about someone with a Chevy Colorado.  Does anyone know what that is ?  I'm assuming its where the wiring harness boot attaches to the pillar but I'm just taking a wild guess.

I don't have concrete proof of this, but I'm going to venture to say that isn't going to solve our issue.  The Colorado and Canyons ended up with a TSB that recommended set screws inserted above the pass through connector (about half way up the b pillar).  The pass through connector is where the wiring harness goes from the door into the b pillar.  It's a rectangular cut out a few inches tall by an inch or two wide.  Our issue is clearly coming from something in the base of the b pillar/the metal under the truck above the pinch welds.  I've had the dealer pad the hell out of my pass through connector and it hasn't done a whole lot to change my situation.

I actually captured a video under the truck this morning of my ticking noise.  I'll upload it to youtube and edit this post so it can be viewed.

Edited by davidsp101
Update

1 hour ago, davidsp101 said:

I don't have concrete proof of this, but I'm going to venture to say that isn't going to solve our issue.  The Colorado and Canyons ended up with a TSB that recommended set screws inserted above the pass through connector (about half way up the b pillar).  The pass through connector is where the wiring harness goes from the door into the b pillar.  It's a rectangular cut out a few inches tall by an inch or two wide.  Our issue is clearly coming from something in the base of the b pillar/the metal under the truck above the pinch welds.  I've had the dealer pad the hell out of my pass through connector and it hasn't done a whole lot to change my situation.

I actually captured a video under the truck this morning of my ticking noise.  I'll upload it to youtube and edit this post so it can be viewed.

I can definitely hear it in that video, and that's pretty much what mine sounds like.

I wonder if its originating in that area where you have the camera pointed or "traveling" down the pillar into that area.  If we can hear it by our ears in the upper part of the pillar, maybe the source is also making the noise travel down as well.

When it happens it drives me bonkers...

Mine has gotten substantially worse this year.  I bought the truck in July 2018 and the ticking went away whenever the temperature was above 85 or below about 65.  This morning, it was 55 in SC and the thing did what I captured in the video above.  On the bright side, the dealer might actually be able to hear what I've been bitching about for a year.  On the other hand, if I have to listen to this all throughout the winter, I'll be in the market for another vehicle.  

Funny I was thinking today about both my 2001 and 2004 Sierras I owned both brand new.  I don’t remember having these kinds of ticks and rattles in those trucks. But I honestly don’t know if that’s because I was apt to play music louder when I was young (or just play music more often as opposed to news or something like my boring self now). I can’t help but think that those trucks just didn’t have rattles like this one. 

So I decided to buy some WD-40 brand White Lithium grease this weekend.  I put some on the passenger seat rails, the torx bolts that hold the seat rails down to the cab of the truck, and finally the bolts that hinge the back of the seat to the bottom of the seat, and it seems to have completely stopped the rattling noises in the passenger seat.  if this is all it takes I"ll be sooooo happy.  The grease was $8 at Lowes

For the B pillar noise I also decided to spray it on the rear door hinges where they connect to the b pillar as well as the door striker (for the front driver side door) that's connected to the b pillar.  I also sprayed it on the bolts and brackets that hold on my running boards underneath the truck. 

I've driven the truck around for a couple of days as well as to work this morning.  I haven't heard any noises from either the seat or the b pillar.  I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that perhaps it was just the metal contact points needing some grease or lube to take care of these noises. I'm remaining hopeful and keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully this is all that's needed.  If it starts coming back I'll definitely post something here again.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:20 PM, davidsp101 said:

Mine has gotten substantially worse this year.  I bought the truck in July 2018 and the ticking went away whenever the temperature was above 85 or below about 65.  This morning, it was 55 in SC and the thing did what I captured in the video above.  On the bright side, the dealer might actually be able to hear what I've been bitching about for a year.  On the other hand, if I have to listen to this all throughout the winter, I'll be in the market for another vehicle.  

Have you taken it back to the dealer lately since the weather is cooler?

I was hearing mine on bumps again this morning (78 degrees when I was hearing it).  Its interesting, sometimes it'll tick only once but if its a strong enough jolt or bump it seems like it'll keep ticking for a second or two , like a fast Morse code.  Then it goes away until the next bump. 

41 minutes ago, Bob Miller said:

Have you taken it back to the dealer lately since the weather is cooler?

I was hearing mine on bumps again this morning (78 degrees when I was hearing it).  Its interesting, sometimes it'll tick only once but if its a strong enough jolt or bump it seems like it'll keep ticking for a second or two , like a fast Morse code.  Then it goes away until the next bump. 

I haven't found a cool day in central SC when I had time to go to the dealer.  I'm already setting my work calendar for October and November so I can spend multiple mornings at the dealer.

Have an appointment to take mine in for the seat tomorrow. Driving me insane

I may mention the b pillar and see if they can spray foam in the pass through connector - although I don't have any faith they can fix any of it.

Toying with actually taking the truck to a stereo shop or something and seeing if they can take that pillar trim panel off and professionally put Dynamat and foam in there to stop it.  I'm sure getting the dealership to do it would be nearly impossible.

Edited by Bob Miller

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, davidsp101 said:

I haven't found a cool day in central SC when I had time to go to the dealer.  I'm already setting my work calendar for October and November so I can spend multiple mornings at the dealer.

How's your B pillar rattle been lately?  Mine was ticking and clicking like crazy this morning (still in the high 70s here in the mornings) - since its a Saturday I"m thinking about taking it apart and having a look inside there again...

1 hour ago, Bob Miller said:

How's your B pillar rattle been lately?  Mine was ticking and clicking like crazy this morning (still in the high 70s here in the mornings) - since its a Saturday I"m thinking about taking it apart and having a look inside there again...

Mine has been really bad.  Any temp between 65-85 and I’m screwed unless the sun is beating down on the truck.  It’s going to the dealer again Monday.