Best Leveling kit for a 2016+ 1500 with 4wd

Ok so this is my first post on hear but im not new to this place ive used this forum thousands of times in the past as I am only 18years old i started off in a 03 gmc 1500 short bed reg cab stick shift, but up here in mass 2wd wasnt gonna cut it so after that I had a trailblazer for the past year and now Ive been lucky enough to get back into trucks with my new 1500 that i'm leasing, its an LT Z71 with 4wd and the 5.3. Im perfectly happy with how the trukc is as of now but I definitely want/"need' it to be leveled as my whole family Cousins, aunts, uncles, father, and mother have atleast a leveling kit or just a beefy vehicle as now im the only one without some ground clearance, but i dont know which leveling kit is the best choice as i want to stay under 3 inches. So if anyone could help me it would be great id like to know the best kits under a few categories. 1-Best ride. 2-Best bang for your buck. 3- Eastiest install. 4- Best offroad capability. 5- The best kit in general.

I have been told the Bilstien 510 is a great choice but before i pull any triggers i'd like to know all my options as I won't be getting the kit within a month or two as the truck only has 900 miles. Thank youmytruck.thumb.png.010d66720888a7f17060bfbe39385377.png

1-Best ride. 2-Best bang for your buck. 3- Eastiest install. 4- Best offroad capability. 5- The best kit in general.

1) best ride - fox or king 2.5" coilovers
2) best bang for your buck - bilstein 5100s
3) easiest install - RC 2" Under strut spacer
4) best Offroad capability - see (1)
5) best kit in general - too subjective, see other 4 answers

If you just want to level it and don't go Offroad, do the RC 2" Spacer. If you go Offroad a lot and want the best ride, get coilovers but be prepared to pay the hefty cost. If you Offroad occasionally on back roads and want an in-between, do the bilsteins.

Hopefully this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, jgraves13 said:

1) best ride - fox or king 2.5" coilovers
2) best bang for your buck - bilstein 5100s
3) easiest install - RC 2" Under strut spacer
4) best Offroad capability - see (1)
5) best kit in general - too subjective, see other 4 answers

If you just want to level it and don't go Offroad, do the RC 2" Spacer. If you go Offroad a lot and want the best ride, get coilovers but be prepared to pay the hefty cost. If you Offroad occasionally on back roads and want an in-between, do the bilsteins.

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks so much, although im going to have to steer away from coils as thats a little much $$$$ for just a leveling kit in my mind atleast but thanks I'm suprised anyone even replied within  the first day. LOL

I swapped all 4 ranchos out not long after I bought the truck, maybe around 6-8k miles, with bilstein 5100s. I’m at 63xxx miles now and still have nothing bad to say about them. Been running the front on max height the entire time. I don’t go balls deep off road, but I’m out in the woods over 50% of the time as I work for a timber company. They do well for me on skid roads/jeep trails/mine roads/pavement.

Just now, Skeeter McSkeet said:

I swapped all 4 ranchos out not long after I bought the truck, maybe around 6-8k miles, with bilstein 5100s. I’m at 63xxx miles now and still have nothing bad to say about them. Been running the front on max height the entire time. I don’t go balls deep off road, but I’m out in the woods over 50% of the time as I work for a timber company. They do well for me on skid roads/jeep trails/mine roads/pavement.

great do they ride as good as the ranchos on the street?

Best is subjective, it all comes down to what you want/use/price and many other things. Have you tried searching around the forums and seeing what others have done? Tons of info out there as this is probably one of the top mods to be done. Unless you are regularly going to be off roading and this is more for looks and occasional trips to the back country and spacer lift is best. Keep it under 2.5, the lower the better in terms of wear and tear. Since you are leasing (at 18...) might want to check with the dealer on their thoughts. You certainly don't want to be caught with an expensive bill or replacement if you decide to put a big 3 inch level and heavy 35's on there as that can cause other problems to the truck you could be on the hook for.

Either way look around, see what others do, how it looks ect and get your info together and make an informed decision. Since it isn't your truck that is something you have to weigh...

Tyler

Just now, Skeeter McSkeet said:

Better in my opinion. Smooth bumps out much better, corner better too, feel a lot more “solid” in general to me

Nice. how much did they run you $$$?

1 minute ago, amxguy1970 said:

Best is subjective, it all comes down to what you want/use/price and many other things. Have you tried searching around the forums and seeing what others have done? Tons of info out there as this is probably one of the top mods to be done. Unless you are regularly going to be off roading and this is more for looks and occasional trips to the back country and spacer lift is best. Keep it under 2.5, the lower the better in terms of wear and tear. Since you are leasing (at 18...) might want to check with the dealer on their thoughts. You certainly don't want to be caught with an expensive bill or replacement if you decide to put a big 3 inch level and heavy 35's on there as that can cause other problems to the truck you could be on the hook for.

Either way look around, see what others do, how it looks ect and get your info together and make an informed decision. Since it isn't your truck that is something you have to weigh...

Tyler

Your 100% correct thats why im planning on 33s at most also i did talk with my dealer and if i can afford to ill probably buy back the truck in 3 years

I installed 5100's to level mine out, but also to provide more stability while towing.  The stock NTH shocks were way too bouncy.  I can see why people would say the Bilstein's ride stiff, but the fact is they just react faster.  You are not left bouncing after a bump, but rather the bump is quickly absorbed and you are on your way.

I will be towing with them for the first time since installed next weekend.  I'll report back how they do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kubs said:

I installed 5100's to level mine out, but also to provide more stability while towing.  The stock NTH shocks were way too bouncy.  I can see why people would say the Bilstein's ride stiff, but the fact is they just react faster.  You are not left bouncing after a bump, but rather the bump is quickly absorbed and you are on your way.

I will be towing with them for the first time since installed next weekend.  I'll report back how they do.

Let me know how they do when your done

• 1 month later...

In the same boat. I just bought a 2018 Sierra 4x4 with z71. I'm new to trucks but have done my fair share of work on my previous cars. Looking to install a rough country 2 inch kit, however, after watching the videos on youtube, I don't think the money is worth paying a shop for such a seemingly small install. I saw this video and was wondering if anyone can chime in if it can go the same way for a 4x4 z71 package. Thanks. 

In the same boat. I just bought a 2018 Sierra 4x4 with z71. I'm new to trucks but have done my fair share of work on my previous cars. Looking to install a rough country 2 inch kit, however, after watching the videos on youtube, I don't think the money is worth paying a shop for such a seemingly small install. I saw this video and was wondering if anyone can chime in if it can go the same way for a 4x4 z71 package. Thanks. 

I looked into this, and with CV axles on the 4x4 it makes it tougher because the CV can pop out and then potentially need replacing. I had a shop do mine and it was $140 total with parts. Better than trusting myself popping out the balljoints and such

16 hours ago, jgraves13 said:

I looked into this, and with CV axles on the 4x4 it makes it tougher because the CV can pop out and then potentially need replacing. I had a shop do mine and it was $140 total with parts. Better than trusting myself popping out the balljoints and such

Havent touched the site in a while but im back i ended up going with the rough copuntry 2 inch leveling kit and i ended up putting it in myself took about 2-3 hours but worth it and i also put on a carven exhaust as well.