Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Quick question, what controls the screen display, the radio module or HMI?  I want to install this in my Sierra but want to see if there is a way to keep the color scheme the same as I already a denali cluster programmed by WAMS (not setup for AA/Carplay as it wasn't out yet).

Edited by DCazares

Quick question, what controls the screen display, the radio module or HMI?  I want to install this in my Sierra but want to see if there is a way to keep the color scheme the same as I already a denali cluster programmed by WAMS (not setup for AA/Carplay as it wasn't out yet).

HMI and we can definitely keep the coloring/theme to whatever version you want. We do them to be factory correct so unless you knew the vehicle wasn’t supposed to have it you’d never know.
  • Like 2

I thought I'd respond to this post.  I recently purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD (love the truck) but it had the HMI 2.0.  I had followed some of these posts and I saw Coastal Flash was quite involved in the forums which is great.  I went to their website and filled out the contact information form but as I host my own email servers (and apparently my spam filter is too tight) they were blocked.  They found another way to contact me and invested easily over an hour on the phone discussing everything about it.  At that point, I went with their services and I now have Apple CarPlay, the blue theme, faster response (much better than the 2.0 was I've found) and retained my factory navigation.  I'm very happy with the work they've done and I have full confidence in their services.  So if anyone is looking to do this upgrade, I would definitely consider them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, here again with another new issue. So, about 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, the voice command, "ok google" stopped working. Tried everything but haven't been able to get it to work.  The microphone icon still works though.

Yesterday, while driving, all the top icons and bottom menu buttons disappeared. If I touch the screen, they come back on. It is consist that they go off 15 seconds after I touch the screen.  And it doesn't matter if it's the radio, cd, or bluetooth, that I'm listening to.  I'm thinking it's an issue with the hmi.....  @GTPprix, any ideas???

20200226_064101.jpg

20200226_064108.jpg

Ok, here again with another new issue. So, about 2 weeks ago, out of the blue, the voice command, "ok google" stopped working. Tried everything but haven't been able to get it to work.  The microphone icon still works though.

Yesterday, while driving, all the top icons and bottom menu buttons disappeared. If I touch the screen, they come back on. It is consist that they go off 15 seconds after I touch the screen.  And it doesn't matter if it's the radio, cd, or bluetooth, that I'm listening to.  I'm thinking it's an issue with the hmi.....  [mention=130449]GTPprix[/mention], any ideas???
20200226_064101.thumb.jpg.a37a065b9be2842fd23ec964f9d48b3f.jpg
20200226_064108.thumb.jpg.5bf60a21c41ddf5a422668f42b9f5bd4.jpg

Ok google I believe was after a phone software update was it not?

The icon issue does it persist through an ignition cycle?

Yes the ok google seemed to be after the phone updated.  The icons are on and stay on perfectly UNTIL I touch the screen. Pushing the hard buttons to select sources and stations does not make the icons disappear.

I have not tried my wifes phone to check on the ok google issue..

Yes the ok google seemed to be after the phone updated.  The icons are on and stay on perfectly UNTIL I touch the screen. Pushing the hard buttons to select sources and stations does not make the icons disappear.

I have not tried my wifes phone to check on the ok google issue..

Does the icon issue persist through an ignition cycle? Does it keep happening after the truck has been sitting overnight?

I shut the truck down, opened door, closed door. Waited a few mins, opened the door. Then started the truck. Icons and menu stay on until I touch the screen, then go away after 15 seconds of touching the screen..  This is consistant.

I shut the truck down, opened door, closed door. Waited a few mins, opened the door. Then started the truck. Icons and menu stay on until I touch the screen, then go away after 15 seconds of touching the screen..  This is consistant.

Need to let it sit for ten minutes with no activity

10:43 am, unlocked truck after sitting locked for 45 mins.  Started engine. Boots up and works as normal.  I cycled through some of the sources,  it works fine now except for ok google..  My bet is its gonna happen again. Lol.