Brand new truck transmission problem

I recently bought a new 2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ with the 6.2 liter & 8 speed transmission. I bought the truck in Idaho (great deal) and drove it home to California. Since then I've only put a few hundred more miles on it, 1181 total miles to be precise. Yesterday the tranny started shifting really hard & clunking on downshifts. Today, when I put the truck into drive it barely moves! Obviously, the transmission is slipping as the engine revs but the truck doesn't really move much! Any info on if the truck can still be returned at this point or am I stuck rebuilding a brand new tranny? Doesn't seem right to have to go through this so soon! I hope GM will either let me return the truck completely or give me a brand new transmission. Any insight on what may happen would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

22 minutes ago, JMichael Kues said:

I recently bought a new 2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ with the 6.2 liter & 8 speed transmission. I bought the truck in Idaho (great deal) and drove it home to California. Since then I've only put a few hundred more miles on it, 1181 total miles to be precise. Yesterday the tranny started shifting really hard & clunking on downshifts. Today, when I put the truck into drive it barely moves! Obviously, the transmission is slipping as the engine revs but the truck doesn't really move much! Any info on if the truck can still be returned at this point or am I stuck rebuilding a brand new tranny? Doesn't seem right to have to go through this so soon! I hope GM will either let me return the truck completely or give me a brand new transmission. Any insight on what may happen would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I am puzzled by your question as it is a brand New truck. Why not take it to any authorized GM dealer and have them look at it.

It will not and should not cost you a penny. Once you sign paperwork it belongs to you.

Just take it to a dealer, no worries! :thumbs:

2 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I am puzzled by your question as it is a brand New truck. Why not take it to any authorized GM dealer and have them look at it.

It will not and should not cost you a penny. Once you sign paperwork it belongs to you.

Just take it to a dealer, no worries! :thumbs:

This 

• Thanks 1

I agree with Sierra Dan.  This is an issue for the dealer to diagnose and repair.  If you are not happy with the options they offer, feel free to ask for feedback here.

Good luck with getting your issue resolved.

• Thanks 1

Did you follow proper, "recommended" break-in procedure during your trip from Idaho to California?

From the 2018 Silverado Manual:

Starting and Operating New Vehicle Break-In

Caution:
The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines: . Keep the vehicle speed at 88km/h (55mph) or less for the first 805km (500mi). . Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805km (500mi). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle. . Avoid making hard stops for the first 322km (200mi) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean (Continued)
Caution (Continued)
premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings. . Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Trailer Towing 0 300 for the trailer towing capabilities of the vehicle and more information. Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

• Thanks 1

Did you follow proper, "recommended" break-in procedure during your trip from Idaho to California?

Caution:
The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines: . Keep the vehicle speed at 88km/h (55mph) or less for the first 805km (500mi). . Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805km (500mi). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle. . Avoid making hard stops for the first 322km (200mi) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean (Continued)
Caution (Continued)
premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings. . Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Trailer Towing 0 300 for the trailer towing capabilities of the vehicle and more information. Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

The language quoted is a recommendation, not a requirement, and as such will have no impact on warranty coverage. As long as the OP didn’t make any modifications or abuse the vehicle (i.e. exceeded loading, towing capabilities, etc.) to cause the failure, then he should have no issue getting this problem fixed by GM.

Not sure if they will fix it by replacing the vehicle, tranny or rebuilding it. If, after they fix it, the OP has ongoing issues with the transmission that cannot be resolved by repair, then he is likely protected under a lemon law. I doubt it would get to that point. First step is to bring it to a dealer and have it diagnosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I posted the "recommended" break in procedure above to inform the OP.

As i stated before the that, any problems he is having will be taken care of under warranty.

To each their own on how they want to break in a new vehicle.

,Thats sucks on a brand new truck  but like everyone says go to a gm dealer and get it fixed ,  But its a nice truck and don't really hear this often but it does happen enough where they would not question it  , they have to give you a loaner you can beat on, er I mean drive:thumbs:

Are emission for California the same in Idaho ? always thought cali trucks were more expensive because of the  emission laws 

The  truck is under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty -- nothing to worry about, take it in and get it fixed.   It might be something simple -- I'm assuming the first thing you did was check the transmission fluid level, even being 1/2 to 3/4 quart low can cause similar symptoms.   

As for the lemon law, in California, it only applies to vehicles purchased at retail inside California.   It absolutely does not cover vehicles purchased out of state -- lets hope it doesn't come to that. 

On 9/7/2018 at 3:35 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Caution:
Caution (Continued)

First 15 miles floored truck to how that 6.2 goes. I never take it easy on new vehicles. Never had a problem. An engine builder told me once beat on it like you stole if it is going to break right away it was going to break regardless.