Rear window leak

Demon

2 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

Is it possible with a VIN to pull up the service records done at any GM dealer anywhere nationwide ? So if someone were to buy a used vehicle, could they get all the service records, or in the case of Sam's truck, all the issues/history ? 

Most likely the truck will get wholesaled, go to auction, and end up on a non-dealer lot and the next buyer won't even think about it. 

Yes I believe it is. But you don't get as much detail as far as I've seen. Carfax for instance - just a "service record." Now had GM declared it was a lemonThere are legal ramifications of "declaring" the truck a lemon. It actually gets a branded title or salvage title or something like that (according to my lawyer.) But in general no. They certainly would never see all the detailed information I've posted here/Facebook. Reason 5,385 why I personally will never buy a used vehicle.

1 hour ago, SamDSJR said:

Yes I believe it is. But you don't get as much detail as far as I've seen. Carfax for instance - just a "service record." Now had GM declared it was a lemonThere are legal ramifications of "declaring" the truck a lemon. It actually gets a branded title or salvage title or something like that (according to my lawyer.) But in general no. They certainly would never see all the detailed information I've posted here/Facebook. Reason 5,385 why I personally will never buy a used vehicle.

Starting to feel that way as well with new vehicles only based on recent experience, but if I do buy a used vehicle going forward, it needs to be older with only one owner and super clean. 

On 12/23/2020 at 5:15 PM, jessebkr87 said:

Can someone explain why it’s so common for the sealant fix to not work? You’re literally plugging everything with sealant, it makes no sense. I can see maybe after some time the sealant shrinks or cracks, but what about this example where they do it and it fails the test right after?

I agree if sealant is of sufficient quality and is applied evenly and properly across the top of the frame there should be no way for the window to leak even with continued cracking of the frame.  My bet is sloppy work or the sealant not being evenly applied across the top of frame.  I also I just went out and checked my window to not jinx myself.  3 months after the repair date my window is still good, no leaks.  It has also been raining at least 2-3 times a week and the truck has been through almost daily freeze thaw cycles.  I guess I was lucky that the dealer did a good job so far.  From this thread I tried to explain to the service manager most likely the leaks were from small cracks in the frame and to try to apply the sealant evenly across the top of the entire frame and on the frame itself as people were getting continued problems after initial repairs were done. 

Once the spoiler is put back on it is almost impossible to tell how good of a job the tech did.  I could see through the gap though it appeared they applied the sealant over the top of the entire frame.

I really love my truck and aside from this problem I feel like the purchase was a good one.  Baring any further problems I'm hoping to keep the truck for awhile.  

With all that being said as I posted before there are sealant products out there that are relatively cheap and extremely strong and completely waterproof. If my window leaks again I'm going to hire an auto window guy or tackle the problem myself and apply this https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+3293241623&rt=rud it may be overkill but once applied it will be good for the life of the vehicle.  This is rated for below waterline applications on boats.

1 hour ago, Grey3liter4x4 said:

I agree if sealant is of sufficient quality and is applied evenly and properly across the top of the frame there should be no way for the window to leak even with continued cracking of the frame.  My bet is sloppy work or the sealant not being evenly applied across the top of frame.  I also I just went out and checked my window to not jinx myself.  3 months after the repair date my window is still good, no leaks.  It has also been raining at least 2-3 times a week and the truck has been through almost daily freeze thaw cycles.  I guess I was lucky that the dealer did a good job so far.  From this thread I tried to explain to the service manager most likely the leaks were from small cracks in the frame and to try to apply the sealant evenly across the top of the entire frame and on the frame itself as people were getting continued problems after initial repairs were done. 

Once the spoiler is put back on it is almost impossible to tell how good of a job the tech did.  I could see through the gap though it appeared they applied the sealant over the top of the entire frame.

I really love my truck and aside from this problem I feel like the purchase was a good one.  Baring any further problems I'm hoping to keep the truck for awhile.  

With all that being said as I posted before there are sealant products out there that are relatively cheap and extremely strong and completely waterproof. If my window leaks again I'm going to hire an auto window guy or tackle the problem myself and apply this https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Marine-Adhesive-Sealant-5200/?N=5002385+3293241623&rt=rud it may be overkill but once applied it will be good for the life of the vehicle.  This is rated for below waterline applications on boats.

I use 5200 at least once a week. I work at a marina. That stuff is no joke. You could (but shouldnt) mount an engine to a boat with it. Wont leak, wont fall off. Its my plan when (if) my truck leaks. They make it in black too...

It is almost impossible to clean up though. 

Sorry to say, I get to join the club. 2020, RST/Z71, 5.3, build date 8/1/2020. I guess I'll be dropping by the dealership next week to schedule a fix.

20210102_110127.jpg

20210102_110136.jpg

20210102_110154.jpg

Going in for a third time this Tuesday, this time to a different dealer. Bringing it to the dealer I actually bought the truck from. GM also contacted the dealer on my behalf. Gotta say, they've actually been on top of the dealers to get this resolved. We shall see....

20 hours ago, TeamSaris said:

I use 5200 at least once a week. I work at a marina. That stuff is no joke. You could (but shouldnt) mount an engine to a boat with it. Wont leak, wont fall off. Its my plan when (if) my truck leaks. They make it in black too...

It is almost impossible to clean up though. 

yeah the 5200 is a permanent bond. Struggled replacing a customers jack plate, It was installed with 5200 by another shop, it eventually came off with fiberglass around mounting holes, crazy. Imagine what it could do to our aluminum trucks. maybe go 4200

22 hours ago, Dali555 said:

Going in for a third time this Tuesday, this time to a different dealer. Bringing it to the dealer I actually bought the truck from. GM also contacted the dealer on my behalf. Gotta say, they've actually been on top of the dealers to get this resolved. We shall see....

And the dealers should be on top of GM Corporate to engineer and build trucks that don't do this in the first place and also provide sound resolutions to the service departments that can be implemented. 

Rained all day here yesterday. Still no leaks. I keep expecting to see one. I drove the old truck today. 17 years old and still no leaks.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

IMHO.  If there’s any takeaway from this thread; it is that even if they replace your rear window, you should have the dealer apply the sealant from the get-go.   Because eventually that new rear window slider will leak.  

100% correct. My third leak was due to them not doing that ^.

So yeah, the replacement window cracked and they had to apply the sealant six months later.

On 1/3/2021 at 10:14 AM, e.texerado said:

yeah the 5200 is a permanent bond. Struggled replacing a customers jack plate, It was installed with 5200 by another shop, it eventually came off with fiberglass around mounting holes, crazy. Imagine what it could do to our aluminum trucks. maybe go 4200

4200 is just as strong, just quick dry. My fear would be the 42/5200 not really fixing the issue.....then the dealer either wont work on it for warranty OR will never ever get the surface perfectly clean again.