Rear window leak

Demon

14 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

I understand the solid rear window. But according to some of these pictures with stained headliners, wouldn't the water be coming thru that cheezy gasket and then on thru that yellow tab or bolt?

Yeah, this is why I've never bought the theory that the spoiler was the leak culprit. If it was the spoiler, we would have a lot more reports of leaks from the solid window owners. 

Also, if that was the case, then GM wouldn't have decided to have their techs smear "sealant" all over the top of our windows as a first-step in the fix process. 

It's really two separate issues, and the TSB calls it out.  If the headliner is soaked, then it is the bolts/tabs/gaskets for the spoiler.  If it is just water dripping off of the rails, then it is getting in via the cracked frame or lack of sealant between the glass and frame.

I think that the best approach if you want to keep the slider would be:

1. Remove spoiler and replace spoiler tabs/gaskets
  2. Remove and replace window, making sure that new window is fully sealed on the frame
  3. Seal top of window per TSB
  4. Reinstall Spoiler

The problem with that approach is that it is detail oriented, and requires a tech that gives a sH@t

• Like 3

^^^^^^ Yup!

To add to an already perfect summary above.  

There is a high likelihood the gasket will get mangled when the tech first tries to remove the spoiler to fix the cracked plastic frame.  So now the situation is compounded by a bad gasket and maybe the sealant wasn’t done right by the tech as well.  Now you have 2 different leak points.  

1 hour ago, UGADawgs said:

There sadly appears to only be one way to fix these leaks.....  Sell it :(

And sadly, that's exactly what I will do if they can't fix my leak. I really like this truck but I won't stand for a leak they can't fix (or make worse). I'll give them the opportunity to make it right but if they can't, it's gone.

I am just hoping for a successful repair. I pick it up today and we have rain predicted for Friday, we'll see.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

Anything can be fixed with the right knowledge, tools, and enough money. It's the money part that GM is focused on. Therefore, the question becomes, "How much do you want to spend?"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Jglew82 said:

2021 Sierra owner here, just a touch over 1,000 miles on the clock joining this godforsaken thread. Taking it in this week. Not happy.

After seeing a few jobs that may dealer sent out and the time it too took to repair. I’m glad that I went to a solid right away for the piece of mind. Since I ordered my truck. I had my local glass guy source the GM solid window before hand. My 2021 had less then 200miles on it when the window was pulled. The glass guy did a wonderful job and can’t even tell it was ever changed out. I’m getting a cap so the slider wasn’t that important but knowing of the leaks I wasn’t going to have the dealers glass company touch my truck. I even asked my dealer if the truck leaks could they put a solid in and was told GM wouldn’t approve even thou it’s cheaper then the slider. 

48 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

Would you mind sharing the cost of the solid slider? I’m thinking about going this route within the next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end it cost $675 for the factory GM window. Could have gotten the aftermarket window but wasn’t much cheaper. Maybe $50 total difference and the good glass guy said just go GM factory looking with being so new. This guy has a good local following and can’t even tell it was changed. The chain glass place with a aftermarket window was just under $500. I wasn’t confident in the chain places. Went with you get what you pay for. 

34 minutes ago, Blue5.3l said:

In the end it cost $675 for the factory GM window. Could have gotten the aftermarket window but wasn’t much cheaper. Maybe $50 total difference and the good glass guy said just go GM factory looking with being so new. This guy has a good local following and can’t even tell it was changed. The chain glass place with a aftermarket window was just under $500. I wasn’t confident in the chain places. Went with you get what you pay for. 

Thanks for the info!  I had looked up the rear glass on GM Parts Direct, and they have it for $330.  I'm sure shipping will cost a pretty penny as well.  There is a local glass shop here that everyone recommends for windshields (vs Safelite), so I will give him a call.  If you happen to have the part number for the rear glass, can you tell me if this is what you got?  https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-back-glass-84008420?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3MtYW5kLWhhcmR3YXJlLWJhY2smbD00Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Z21jJm89c2llcnJhLTE1MDAmeT0yMDE5JnQ9c2x0JmU9NS0zbC12OC1nYXM%3D

17 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

Thanks for the info!  I had looked up the rear glass on GM Parts Direct, and they have it for $330.  I'm sure shipping will cost a pretty penny as well.  There is a local glass shop here that everyone recommends for windshields (vs Safelite), so I will give him a call.  If you happen to have the part number for the rear glass, can you tell me if this is what you got?  https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-back-glass-84008420?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3MtYW5kLWhhcmR3YXJlLWJhY2smbD00Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Z21jJm89c2llcnJhLTE1MDAmeT0yMDE5JnQ9c2x0JmU9NS0zbC12OC1nYXM%3D

I’ll have to look later to see if the receipt had the part number. I believe it had the cost for the window. My glass guy just ordered the window from the dealer. Here’s another window option. 

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-back-glass-84242469?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3MtYW5kLWhhcmR3YXJlLWJhY2smbD03Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Z21jJm89c2llcnJhLTE1MDAmeT0yMDIwJnQ9c2x0JmU9Ni0ybC12OC1nYXM%3D