Rear window leak

Demon

3 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I think part of the issue is the slider window has a piece of plastic for the window slider in-between the glass and gasket. The solid window is just glass and gasket but I would have to double check on my loaner. It's just a bad design all around. All to add a stupid spoiler that doesn't even look that good.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Seems like they should have had a surrounding rubber gasket without the ‘lip’ allowing water to collect - similar to how my loaner Tacoma looks.   Water doesn’t pool and it just rolls off the window without issue.  

9 minutes ago, Centrebaseball said:

Seems like they should have had a surrounding rubber gasket without the ‘lip’ allowing water to collect - similar to how my loaner Tacoma looks.   Water doesn’t pool and it just rolls off the window without issue.  

Bingo. 

It sucks that lots of you are still dealing with this leak and how hard of a time it is for some of you to get it fixed.  I guess I got real lucky. Mine leaked, they sealed it on top with clear sealer , didn’t work, a week later a new window was installed and no leaks.

if I have any two cents of advise to anyone getting sheet about a new glass , get or go find a better dealer.  Or another option...... hammer to glass...new one installed through insurance.  

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Also part of the problem is GM is giving barley any labor for this to the tech. I'd have to look at the TSB again but it was only like 2 hours labor. Which may explain the questionable work product on the sealant job.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

As I posted in another forum. All the TSB is are a set of instructions from GM on how to do the repair. Unfortunately if I gave a copy of that to 100 people on this page and said go do this. You would have several different outcomes. Some good some not so much. It's funny though that GM should have done more homework on the sliders as the previous gen trucks (14s) had the cable that opens and closes them keep failing.

1 hour ago, Rfg14silverado said:

Seems like the best fix if leak in would be to replace the sliding back glass with a solid glass window.     I wouldn’t mind losing my slider to have a dry truck 

I was seriously contemplating this as well since I am not confident that the truck will stay leak free for the rest of the life of the truck even after the sliding back window is replaced. ?

14 hours ago, Hamilton2400 said:

Add me to this growing list ?19D87E63-A9F6-484E-86F0-EB16F0CDF973.thumb.jpeg.ba1a2d76ae2c90a1b46f88671a684cab.jpeg

Update: 
Went to dealer today. They have scheduled me to come back on Thursday. They have contracted Safelite to remove the sliding window and redo the seals and plastic railing. Fingers crossed this works

19 hours ago, bamorris2 said:

With as big as this thread is, are there any trucks out there with significant time and mileage that do NOT leak? If so, I wonder what the difference could be between those that leak and those that don’t.

Been through heavy mountain rain storms and never garaged, opened the slider a few times when parked for venting. After seeing all these post I just had to go out and check again because just had a heavy rainstorm last night. Dry as a bone on rear glass, inner window channel, seats, headliner and rug.

Truck has a sports bar behind the spoiler which might disrupt rain getting dripping off the spoiler lip and blown against the rear glass when traveling at speed, but does nothing to keep water off the glass when parked. The rubber seals on the rear spoiler and surrounding the outside of the slider seem effective in keeping water out of the interior.

DSCN0736.JPG.31af0965eb290f3e28482f411b8aead4.JPGDSCN0735.JPG.164ba4a4c2a88313134213bf60a15a7e.JPGDSCN0737.JPG.ca7936cb9ef10369cf2a9663a02a22ca.JPGDSCN0738.JPG.ba954af4f36bbca19d684b00bbf56af6.JPGDSCN0741.JPG.84373112104615db44e0bc42c4bc8fc0.JPGDSCN0747.JPG.02f8465f385e42f47d2c844ddffe0de4.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Been through heavy mountain rain storms and never garaged, opened the slider a few times when parked for venting. After seeing all these post I just had to go out and check again because just had a heavy rainstorm last night. Dry as a bone on rear glass, inner window channel, seats, headliner and rug.

Truck has a sports bar behind the spoiler which might disrupt rain getting dripping off the spoiler lip and blown against the rear glass when traveling at speed, but does nothing to keep water off the glass when parked. The rubber seals on the rear spoiler and surrounding the outside of the slider seem effective in keeping water out of the interior.

DSCN0736.JPG.31af0965eb290f3e28482f411b8aead4.JPGDSCN0735.JPG.164ba4a4c2a88313134213bf60a15a7e.JPGDSCN0737.JPG.ca7936cb9ef10369cf2a9663a02a22ca.JPGDSCN0738.JPG.ba954af4f36bbca19d684b00bbf56af6.JPGDSCN0741.JPG.84373112104615db44e0bc42c4bc8fc0.JPGDSCN0747.JPG.02f8465f385e42f47d2c844ddffe0de4.JPG

I’m wondering if the sports bar gives extra rigidity so it doesn’t flex the window as much? 

Keep in mind the actual damage is underneath the headliner on the rear window assembly near the top corners.

There should be two cracks.

So this is some sort of design flaw allowing the cab to flex the actual inferior frame assembly which is causing the failures.

Best fix is GM to use better materials moving forward but knowing my GM mechanics and what they say "GM likes to do things the cheap a** way". Lol.

UPDATE Regarding the Trail Boss LT: Dealer has a loaner 2500 for me. District rep and dealer owner wants to replace rear window, carpet, and headliner. Again, I think it's luck of the draw to get an easy dealer to work with but you should be firm when dealing with these people. They know what the issue is because they're working on these trucks nonstop. Some at this point are bypassing the entire service bulletin and just replacing the rear windows. Bc that silicone "WILL" fail. And that's not to say the new assembly won't fail either if the actual structure is compromising the window frame. I guess these people at GM have never roofed a house before bc they clearly don't understand how water and fluctuation works haha.

Will report back with info from GM supervisor convo and case.