Is 6.2 worth $3700 extra?

I am looking at two trucks that are virtually identical except one has the 5.3 with the 8-speed tranny for $42k and the other has the 6.2 with the 8 speed tranny for $45,700.  I have never owned a 6.2 so I am wondering is the bigger motor worth the extra money?  The truck will get driven a minimum of 100 miles daily about half stop and go and half interstate miles.  Which will be better on gas in this condition?  Any and all opinions are appreciated!  

From what I have seen and read, the 6.2L can actually get better fuel mileage.

BUT, GM recommends premium fuel, so your cost per mile is higher if you choose to go with the recommendation by GM.  Some here say they use regular fuel and the 6.2L will run just fine.  But that would be your choice.

Good luck!

I’ve only had my 6.2 for a week and 400 miles but can say after having the 5.0 in my F150 that the 6.2 is a freaking beast.  It’s my first 6+ liter engine and I’m loving it.

Edited by BillK01
  • Like 3

That's more than I'd be willing to pay for the upgrade.  I don't drive aggressively.  I don't tow more than about 2,500 lb currently.  It's rare for me to haul more than 800 lb of payload.  The 5.3L moves the truck just fine for me. The 4.3L would cover my needs, honestly.  But, the 5.3L makes my truck more enjoyable to drive.  The 6.2L would be wasted on me. 

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 2

I had a 6.2 in my 15 Sierra, then went back to the 5.3 in my 14 Sierra and 17 Silverado. I would not go back to a 5.3 after this truck and I almost want to sell my 17 and buy an 18 with a 6.2 just because of how good these deals are getting. 5.3 is a great motor, don't get me wrong, but I just like the power and torque that the 6.2 has to offer. There is a noticeable difference when just normal driving and towing. I say why not spend the extra little bit of money and get the big boy motor! 

P.S. GM does recommend that you run high octane, I usually would run mid grade and every other fill up put premium in at around half a tank and there is certainly a noticeable difference when running the high octane stuff. 

• Like 2

Is it worth $3,700 extra? Not to most normal drivers. But to Denali owners it is totally worth it.

Basically it just makes driving more "fun". It gets roughly the same fuel mileage. If you don't pull a huge travel trailer and don't drag race, just save your money.

• Like 4

You don't have to run premium grade in the 6.2, it's just recommended. I personally run premium in mine, but that's due to having a custom tune. I have owned a 5.3 and two 6.2's, my preference is toward the 6.2 due to more power/torque and believe it or not, better MPG (even before my tune). With all that said though, the 6.2 I bought was the same price as all the 5.3's I was seeing. Would I have paid the extra $3,700 to get a 6.2? Yes. But if you're doing it for MPG savings, it'll take you a while to get that extra coin you spent back in gas savings. If you plan to keep it until it dies, I say spend the extra cash. If you'll only have it a few years it's a toss up. Good luck with your choice.

• Like 1

I've got a new 6.2 Denali 10 speed. I've had two 5.3's in the past. Both 6 speeds. My gas mileage with the new truck is better. I run 91 octane. The new 6.2 pulls strong. It really pulls through the gears. The older trucks would would gag hitting third gear  I would never go back to anything less than a 6.2. I'm loving it. 

• Like 3

Here we go again, another 5.3 vs 6.2 marathon thread. 

But my 2 cents is I'll never go back to a 5.3 if I use my truck as a daily driver.  The 6.2 turns an average to cumbersome truck to a fun to drive truck.  My 6.2 gets better mileage than my 5.3 did.  I had a tune in both and used 93 in the 5.3 anyway.  Now if was looking for a truck to use as just a truck and didn't have to daily drive it to work and run errands.... than I would definitely consider the 5.3 again. 

• Like 3

Wonder how many more trucks GM would sell if they didn't make it so you have to get the top trim to get the 6.2. 

I have a 5.3 and it pulls just fine.  Put it in 4wd and jab the gas from a dig and it has surprising acceleration. After 1st gear though, it feels like every other vehicle.  I'd rather have gotten the 6.2 but I wasn't going to spend 10k more for it - and that's the only option an LTZ with the 6.2 has that I'd want.  I actually prefer the looks of the LT Z71 vs the LTZ Z71 and cloth over leather.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well worth it in my opinion. I had a 2015 5.3 all terrain before my 2018 6.2 slt premium+.  Love the power and fuel mileage of the 6.2. My dad has a 2018 5.3 and while down low I dont notice a big performance  gap, when u floor the 6.2 it rips and sounds mean. 

I also like that the 6.2 is pretty rare, makes for a good conversation piece. I wonder how many k2's have the 6.2? 1 out of 20? In my area I rarely meet anyone who has a k2 with the 6.2

• Like 1