Is 6.2 worth $3700 extra?

I kind of question the 600 hp here too... namely as that's an old non intercooled whipple with a tbi bolted onto it.  You ever actually dyno that truck Karnut?  Or quarter mile or something? I just honestly curious... don't take it as an attack as it's not.

Edited by SierraHD17

That's nice.  Dyno numbers - people who say "mine makes 600HP" usually make nothing near that.  Not that bringing that vehicle up made ANY sense in the conversations at hand - I could have brought up my modded cars as well.

You made wide claims about E85 5.3's on a tune making more power than a 6.2L without backing it up.  Then other wide claims about well optioned 29k trucks (that aren't, we all know this).  Back up your claims.

I don’t feel the need to do research for you. I do my own. I never make claims I haven’t already researched. I’ve been here awhile and have many post. I did give you information on the trucks. A simple web search a little negotiation will net similar results, at the right time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of question the 600 hp here too... namely as that's an old non intercooled whipple with a tbi bolted onto it.  You ever actually dyno that truck Karnut?  Or quarter mile or something? I just honestly curious... don't take it as an attack as it's not.

You do know what a stroker is, dart heads, MSD, and what 12lbs of boost can do? Can you see the size of the injectors? Do you know what a staged two transmission is? How about my gear ratio? 814408d6ea916ffdf23a3015d9c0815a.jpgIm not going to get into a tit for tat. If you see me cruising Conroe Texas, give me a shout, maybe I’ll give you a ride.

Why is it the tiny syndrome always prevails? The OP is going to drive this like a Civic and put massive amount of miles on it. Any of the 3700 will be lost on the hit he will take from the miles.  Sure the 6.2 is funner, but when you drive a 100 miles a day driving like an **** loses its appeal and you just want to get home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

Premium or premium plus? What was the sticker price? $38k wow that is an unbelievable deal.

Just Premium. All I wanted was an SLT with a 6.2L, Bose stereo, and heated and cooled seats. All the other included accoutrements of the SLT trim were fine, but I didn't want to pay for the BS that I didn't want/need, so I went with SLT Premium and these three upgrades. Oh, and mine was a little cheaper because it is a 2WD. All I needed was 2WD because when I moved from my farm town to the Los Angeles area, my old truck never saw 4WD again. My plan the whole time was to supercharge it, so the weight reduction was on my mind. Regardless, Hiley had SLTs with Premium Plus and 4WD under 40K.

My sticker was $51,385 and I paid $38,850.IMG_4872.thumb.JPG.b5dfeee653a7446273996c97c4ef33f4.JPGIMG_6672.thumb.JPG.89e953434ad738974f348e7433de2290.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

You do know what a stroker is, dart heads, MSD, and what 12lbs of boost can do? Can you see the size of the injectors? Do you know what a staged two transmission is? How about my gear ratio?

Yes, you .030 over with a 400 crank.  12lbs of non-intercooled boost. Why are you even mentioning a MSD ignition - that doesn't give more power, just ensures enough spark from your dated ignition setup.  We can't see the size of the injectors - how many pound are they?  I have 60lb injectors for the "stroker" on the engine stand in my garage.  

Do we know what a Stage 2 transmission is? Yes, a marketing term for whomever built the tranny for what work was done.  Varies shop to shop.  I'm guessing a mildly built 700R4 for a motor that might make 400RWHP on a good day (I'm being generous).  What does your gear ratio have to do with power?  What is obvious is you are throwing terms out handed to you by some shop while not really understanding what it means...

Yes, take a test drive to the freeway. Standing start (red light ramp) to freeway speed will sell the truck!!! Merging is fun!!!

I say this anytime somebody ask about my truck, just so much easier to merge into traffic
  • Like 1

I am looking at two trucks that are virtually identical except one has the 5.3 with the 8-speed tranny for $42k and the other has the 6.2 with the 8 speed tranny for $45,700.  I have never owned a 6.2 so I am wondering is the bigger motor worth the extra money?  The truck will get driven a minimum of 100 miles daily about half stop and go and half interstate miles.  Which will be better on gas in this condition?  Any and all opinions are appreciated!  

Having had a 2014 5.3 there’s no comparison, the 6.2 is a beast. I’ve got the 2018 6.2 Z71 4x4 CC Standard Bed and was getting 25-26 mpg Hwy. The 5.3 will be fine but is under powered and mine gave me bad mpg’s compared to my new 6.2. Last, you’ll have much more fun with the 6.2 as well as pass others much more safely having the 6.2 without having to do ANY mods to it which would cause warranty issues.
  • Like 1

Yes, you .030 over with a 400 crank.  12lbs of non-intercooled boost. Why are you even mentioning a MSD ignition - that doesn't give more power, just ensures enough spark from your dated ignition setup.  We can't see the size of the injectors - how many pound are they?  I have 60lb injectors for the "stroker" on the engine stand in my garage.  

Do we know what a Stage 2 transmission is? Yes, a marketing term for whomever built the tranny for what work was done.  Varies shop to shop.  I'm guessing a mildly built 700R4 for a motor that might make 400RWHP on a good day (I'm being generous).  What does your gear ratio have to do with power?  What is obvious is you are throwing terms out handed to you by some shop while not really understanding what it means...

We were making 600Hp on strokers with carburetors and Paton S/Cs. We followed a write in hot rod mag years ago. This one was built buy Houston engine and balancing to handle more than 600HP. I usually ran the big pulley making 5LBs of boost for only 500 HP. You can buy a new stroker new from GM making 450-500 HP without boost. 600 HP isn’t a stretch from there. The mentioning of things like MSD, dart heads, perform trans etc. Anyone knows that building a performance vehicle just starts with the engine, if you want to use the power. Back in the day I started with the rear end and worked forward. I don’t know why I bothered you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about or feel the need to be argumentative.

20 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Really? E-85 and tune got me 6.2 power. Also gave me choices. On trips I ran reg gas. The same truck still goes for the low 30s. I got E-85 for cheaper than reg gas, let alone premium gas that the 6.2 requires. A little creativity means choices. People would be shocked at the packages GM offers and the savings. You usually can’t get the 6.2, they force you to buy equipment most people could care less about.

I'm not trying to get into an argument...so I will try to clarify my position one last time...I wasn't making a comment on the 6.2...I don't have any experience with it...my comment (which you responded) was simply around the use of better gas and a better air filter can make a significant difference in both feel and performance...

you chimed in that you had a tune and run E85...and I agreed with you that a tune is a game changer, but you cant compare a tuned 5.3 to a non-tuned 5.3...its apples to oranges...

and many MANY people don't want to void their factory warranty with a brand new truck to get a tune so it can (maybe, I don't know) compete with a larger motor...but yes, it is an option.

I'm not trying to get into an argument...so I will try to clarify my position one last time...I wasn't making a comment on the 6.2...I don't have any experience with it...my comment (which you responded) was simply around the use of better gas and a better air filter can make a significant difference in both feel and performance...

you chimed in that you had a tune and run E85...and I agreed with you that a tune is a game changer, but you cant compare a tuned 5.3 to a non-tuned 5.3...its apples to oranges...

and many MANY people don't want to void their factory warranty with a brand new truck to get a tune so it can (maybe, I don't know) compete with a larger motor...but yes, it is an option.

One more clarification, I guess maybe for your benefit. Just so people don’t think I make things up. I did a brief online check. Wiesner of Conroe Texas has SLTs some with bars and bed covers discounted 14K to 34K, yes leather. I didn’t even check the SLEs double cabs. So a nice loaded new GM for 32K is certainly doable even for people with limited negotiation skills.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KARNUT said:

You do know what a stroker is, dart heads, MSD, and what 12lbs of boost can do? Can you see the size of the injectors? Do you know what a staged two transmission is? How about my gear ratio? 814408d6ea916ffdf23a3015d9c0815a.jpgIm not going to get into a tit for tat. If you see me cruising Conroe Texas, give me a shout, maybe I’ll give you a ride.

Yeah I do... because I own some vehicles that actually make that kind of power.  If a non intercooled 25 year old whipple with a gm tbi computer controlling it makes 600 hp you have the worlds first lol.  If you want to feel what 600 wheel feels like feel free to come to northern Alberta and ride in my Nova.  You have a year... then its go for broke and take it to 1000 wheel...

Edited by SierraHD17

I didn’t look at the sig. I thought you were nitrousbird. I can understand the warranty concerns. Everyone has to make that choice, I never had a warranty denied.

Yeah I do... because I own some vehicles that actually make that kind of power.  If a non intercooled 25 year old whipple with a gm tbi computer controlling it makes 600 hp you have the worlds first lol.

Hot rod mag did it with a stroker, carburetor, and a Paxton. You can buy a na stroker new from GM that’s makes 450-500 HP. Add boost to 600 easy. I guess you never heard of tpi conversations for carb engines for big power. I did some of those too.