In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I just bought a 1991 Chevy C70 Kodiak C7H042 6.6L 403 CUI Diesel in amazingly great condition. I am now the 3rd owner of this dump truck. The first owner took great care of the vehicle, everything thing appears to be well maintained and no shade tree work. All the parts, wiring and accessories appear to be original and well maintained. However, the second owner bought this truck and never used it. It has sat in a field for about four years. To get to the point, I completely serviced the truck and replaced the batteries, checked the fuses, grounds, relays and I have absolutely no power to the truck. No interior or exterior lights and no lights on the instrument panel. What could be the issue?

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

An ignition switch fixed the issue

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Robert210
      Currently looking at 3.5-4.5 lift kits thinking about running a rough country 3.5 lift with the lift struts anyone ran them? How’s the ride quality?? And what other lift brands y’all recommend that include a lift strut not a strut spacer
    • By Krehzyy
      I am looking for some insight from other people that specialize in wiring and electrical. I own a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado Ext. Cab and I have recently installed an overhead console and wired it to a 10 amp circuit in the interior fuse panel using 16ga wire. Doing it this way, the LEDS are very bright, like I want them. Now I want to switch the wiring to the existing wiring from the BCM for OE functionality when I open the door or use the dimmer switch to turn them on. The original wiring is a GRY/BLK 20ga(?) wire that runs up the pillar on the driver side. When I tapped into this wire, the dome lights work like they should, but are very dim.
      What should I do about this? I have considered running the oe wiring to activate a relay and running the 16ga I have installed through the same relay for power and ground to the dome lights. That way I get the brightness I like, and it retains OE functionality. Is this the way I should go or are there other options?
    • By CanadianWelder
      What size tires should I use on my RC 3.5 inch lift on my 2019 Sierra? Big enough so they look nice on the truck and nothing to crazy maybe 30’s? 
    • By Barry Boswell
      Something that should be noted. I have now had experience with three Chevy/GMC trucks. Every time it rains/snows the speakers, sometimes the windows, side mirror controls won't work for 2-5 days, not until the inside of the doors dry out. Even with the weatherpfoofing foam panel that supposedly seals the interior of the door cavity, moisture still penetrates the space, shorts the various components. My friends work truck, door speakers could be counted on to stop playing after every rain or snowfall for 3-5 days. Once dried out-no problem, everything worked fine again. Noticed same thing on girlfriends truck and another friends personal truck.
      Just wanted everyone to be aware, this is definitely an issue with our Chevy/GMC Trucks. If something suddenly stops working in the door, dry out with a blow dryer or wait several days before you buy speakers or other parts to fix a problem. You may just need to pop you door panel and add some silicone sealant here and there. Did that with girlfriends truck. Fixed speakers going out intermittently.
    • By Andy Brown
      I apologize for the novel, but here we go!

Alright, so 2011 Tahoe 5.3 LMG Flex vin 0, 158k miles, never given me any issues ever before.

Drove it up on ramps last night to get under it to just check everything before I tow a trailer over the weekend. All fine and dandy.

Go to start it to back off of the ramps-dash and running lighter all turn on. Turn the key to ignition and....nothing. If I try to remote start it, I just get an electronic noise.
      Took the starter off last night and tested it multiple times at my work (advance auto) and my starter was super dead. Sweet, found my issue, right? Got a new starter. Put it on. Still no crank. No click. No nothing except everything else on the truck acts like it normally would when you turn the key.

I checked connection between the positive terminal on battery and the starter with a multimeter -just fine.
      My battery is perfectly fine. Tested it multiple times now. Have a charger. Made sure it's fully charged. Double and triple checked.
      Looked at all the applicable fuses I can think ofand swapped the starter relay with the ac relay (they are identical) and it changed nothing.

This then led me to believe maybe the ignition switch in the steering column was bad. Put a new one in today. Same exact issue. It changed absolutely nothing. Everything turns on but no crank and no relay sounds or anything.
      Almost thinking that something isn't sending the signal to the little wire connector that is on the starter selenoid (attached to the starter). But I feel like I've checked everything that could block that.
      I'm running out of ideas and I NEED (super awesome timing!) this truck to move from Lincoln to Omaha starting tomorrow 😕 ugh
      Was wondering if putting 12v constant to that little plug wire on the starter solenoid may skip whatever is not sending the signal, which I guess would just confirm that there's no signal. I dunno. 8+hours into this so far. First time this truck has ever given me issues in 158k miles.

Also, no, it will not start in neutral.

Any tips would be awesome!