Oooo that smelll......outta the exhaust on startup

2015 Silverado, 5.3 Gas with just under 34,400 miles.  I've just started noticing that ??burnt oil?? smell after starting the truck up.  Usually after sitting all day at work, or overnight in the garage.  Only way I can describe the smell is by the 2003 Silverado I drove at work for years that ended up having a new engine put in it.  I don't see any puff of bluish/white cloud on startup.   Only noticed it like in the last week.  Usually I'm either remote starting it when it's cold out or getting in and starting it up.  So I never smell it.  It's only 16 miles round trip to and from work with many more stop and go's than miles.   It only had just under 11k when I bought it in Aug 2017.  So what, 23k in 18-19 months.  It runs smooth, idles smooth.

Should I worry about it?  The way things have been going lately, it would be just my luck to have a screwed up engine.

30 minutes ago, Racindave said:

Did u just have the oil changed? Is your oil filter loose? Could be leaking out some around it and burning off on the exhaust at start up. 

This and you may have developed a leak at the sending unit, valve covers or RMS...well never mind that one. Take a flashlight and look around the top, sides and bottom (especially the back) and see if you might have a small leak somewhere. If you have a ring or internal problem, chances are that you’d see it out the back especially with remote start. A leak has time to find its low point and take a while to get there traveling across who knows what. Even grab a clean paper towel and use that with your hands where you can’t visually inspect. Keep us updated so others might figure out a problem they may be having too! 

Edited by SS502

23 minutes ago, SS502 said:

This and you may have developed a leak at the sending unit, valve covers or RMS...well never mind that one. Take a flashlight and look around the top, sides and bottom (especially the back) and see if you might have a small leak somewhere. If you have a ring or internal problem, chances are that you’d see it out the back especially with remote start. A leak has time to find its low point and take a while to get there traveling across who knows what. Even grab a clean paper towel and use that with your hands where you can’t visually inspect. Keep us updated so others might figure out a problem they may be having too! 

Just doing a visual top and bottom with a flashlight, the only oil residue I see is around the filler cap and adjacent to the filter around a brass/gold colored hex head bolt.  Which I assume is the oil drain because it looks like it may have splashed up on some frame/suspension member slightly.

The radiator fluid compartment between the air filter and battery looks like a good color.   I see nothing on the ground underneath the truck.

I tried to see if by hand I could even tighten the filter, but nothing.  I'll stop by and have them double check it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbofoxman said:

Just doing a visual top and bottom with a flashlight, the only oil residue I see is around the filler cap and adjacent to the filter around a brass/gold colored hex head bolt.  Which I assume is the oil drain because it looks like it may have splashed up on some frame/suspension member slightly.

The radiator fluid compartment between the air filter and battery looks like a good color.   I see nothing on the ground underneath the truck.

I tried to see if by hand I could even tighten the filter, but nothing.  I'll stop by and have them double check it.

Whoever did your oil change may have reinstalled the drain plug without a new crush washer and or dripped some oil that’s just now making its way to a hot spot. Doesn’t take much to stink...think about those silent but deadly’s...doesn’t take much to clear a room.

Whoever did your oil change may have reinstalled the drain plug without a new crush washer and or dripped some oil that’s just now making its way to a hot spot. Doesn’t take much to stink...think about those silent but deadly’s...doesn’t take much to clear a room.
There's a crush washer on there?! I have never seen one. No oil leaks. There's a little mess under there from the filter swaps... try as I may, I always have a little mess when the filter seal finally leaves the mounting surface. If somebody has a trick to not get that, I am all ears.

I've never bought crush washers for anything but my AR15s when I built them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

There's a crush washer on there?! I have never seen one. No oil leaks. There's a little mess under there from the filter swaps... try as I may, I always have a little mess when the filter seal finally leaves the mounting surface. If somebody has a trick to not get that, I am all ears.

I've never bought crush washers for anything but my AR15s when I built them.

Ya know, to be honest I’m not sure they use them on these trucks...dealer has done my only oil change and still owes me one. Used to put a new one on every time with my 2008 Avalanche but maybe not even required? Maybe someone else will chime in. It was always sort of a safe way of not over tightening the plug and risk stripping it out. I’m just now at 3587 miles. Now I’m curious!!

7 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I've never had a crush washer on any Chevy truck I've had and I'm on #5. The drain bolts always had a generous sized flange, and I never had an oil leak from that point. Not even on my 1993 C1500 with a quarter million miles, or my Tahoe that almost made it that far.

Just for fun, Google it. There are people who insist on them every time that plug is removed. I have almost always used one and been changing oil (haven’t done the Sierra yet lol) since 1972 when at 12 years old I was finally given my right of passage and handed the (of all things) crescent wrench and proceeded to change the oil on my Mom’s 65 Plymouth Sport Fury  :D In the video he mentions an O ring instead of a crush washer, I am gonna guess the trucks have that O ring. My 2008 Avalanche did not, it had nothing so I chalked it up to the dealer forgetting and I put one on and changed it every time from then on, as far as I can remember, all my cars had them too.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=oil+drain+plug+crush+washer+install&docid=607996904824570103&mid=8DA3068E0B8A6E40D77A8DA3068E0B8A6E40D77A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Edited by SS502
Added video link

You need to. Acidtone wipe down the area around the oil leak at the bottom. But also I going to ask do you have a. Catch can and how much oil are you running. You must have 8quarts Max. Much talk about that. How cold has it be around you, lots of pictures of frozen pcv tubes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

You need to. Acidtone wipe down the area around the oil leak at the bottom. But also I going to ask do you have a. Catch can and how much oil are you running. You must have 8quarts Max. Much talk about that. How cold has it be around you, lots of pictures of frozen pcv tubes. 

I'm sorry....I had to laugh when I read that. I can just picture someone "priming" their catch can :uhoh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I do not have a Catch Can.  We had a streak of super cold several weeks ago.  Lately it's been anywhere from teens at night to 40.  More 20-30 during the day than 40's, but their have been a few.

To me, the smell is more noticeable at the back by the exhaust then anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, jimbofoxman said:

I do not have a Catch Can.  We had a streak of super cold several weeks ago.  Lately it's been anywhere from teens at night to 40.  More 20-30 during the day than 40's, but their have been a few.

To me, the smell is more noticeable at the back by the exhaust then anywhere else.

Well....truth be told, that's not good :(

I'm sorry....I had to laugh when I read that. I can just picture someone "priming" their catch can :uhoh:
I have lot of skills but typing, spelling, and basic communication isn't one of them.
Note please do not add oil to catch can.
Gm is saying frozen pcv, high oil levels and crankcase pressure. Is all causing extra oil consumption and also oil leak. Rms is a nightmare I just replaced mine. I have 7quarts and running strong. But with new oil system and additives I will be adding more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1