Hesitation from engine and Hard shift when going forward

I have over 15000 miles and mine still cant figure out what gear to be in, still lunges and and lurches on downshifting when coming to a stop. Its been to the dealer 5 times, with no resolution. Just the good ole cant duplicate the problem. F'ing fed up with GM. You can buy a $7K TV and if it has one minor issue you can return it. Buy a vehicle and it can have a million major issues, and your screwed... The government needs to be stricter on these companies, considering they took my tax dollars to bail these scumbags out.

drove me crazy in my 2019 gmc 5,3 8 speed, left at dealer overnight several times, same answer cant duplicate issue, i even paid for the trans fluid change to the new stuff but didnt help. got sick of it traded it in for 6.2 10 speed 

I have a 2019 Z71 and has had a hard shifting issue within a month of purchase. Sometimes it does it to 4th gear. every time i bring it up to the service  department they say GM know about it and it is normal. This is the first GM truck I have had since 1998 and never had this many issues with any Ford. I am tempted to get in on the lemon law  suit that is going on with GM.

James

• 1 month later...

A google search brought me to this site, like some of you I'd guess.  I've had my truck since Sep 19 and have had the same slipping/lunging problem after backing and shifting to drive, since I've owned it.  Doesn't matter if warm or cold, it's a repeatable pattern...unless you take it to the dealer.  My truck is in for the second time and I'm hearing the same answer all of you have heard..."normal operation for this transmission". BS

On another news type site it mentioned a class action case for this problem. Is anyone aware of that, or is that fake news? 

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a Chevy Hd 2021 crew cab standard bed it’s 30 degrees out. Just went outside to start let it warm up took off down the road and when it started to shift it kicked hard from 1st to second. I thought it was just still cold, drove another 3 miles to store it kept doing it on the way there. Brought home and parked it, will have to call dealership Tom Gill Chevrolet Florence Kentucky in morning to take down and have looked at. I’m sure once I drive almost 2 hrs. there it won’t be doing it. But I really don’t want to pay $53.000 for a lemon truck. Do anyone have any answers for me. Thanks

Edited by Mark Bushhogging
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Glad I found this site! Just purchased a 2019 Z71 5.3 8sp trans this past December. It's my first pickup, out of all the american companies for some reason I was set that I wanted a Silverado. First american car since 2000, had foreign cars since this past December. I liked the new body style on these pickups. But now I wish maybe I saw this website in hindsight before making the purchase. 

I too am experiencing this hesitation when my engine is cold. It seems to hesitate no sooner I back out of my driveway put it in drive it seems to do this hesitation before it shifts in second gear. I also of course have the hard shifting in 2nd gear once it does shift. But then again, I have the hard shifting sometimes under normal operation in 2nd and 3rd gears. And downshifting is harsh as well from 3rd to 2nd gears. So it seems that there was no fix for the hesitation problem. Or has anyone come across a fix yet? I mean other than trading in your vehicle with 8spds to a vehicle with an 10spd.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

Look up bulletin #16-NA-361 harsh 1-2 shift upon first startup shift under light throttle. GM says it normal on the 8 speed. It has something to do with the initial clutch fill time of the C4 clutch. No fix for it. Gm says it's normal. I have driven more than one 2019 8 speed and they all do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just got a 2021 GMC Canyon and notice the rough shift every morning. Is this something I’m just gonna have to live with, does it smooth out over time? Just wondering if there was any resolution you’ve come to. Thanks 

Well whatever the issue is with a harsh shift or hesitation you shouldn’t have to live with it. If they its a normal operating characteristic and even if they have a technical bulletin saying its normal its all bullshit. GM has been getting away with problems with some of their vehicles for too many years, they can’t even be bothered to actually solve a problem like yours, been there done that!

But go ahead and see if they come up with a fix...good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2019 rst/z71 with 30k miles on it with this very same issue and I've had it at the dealership twice with no real  resolution.   I've always had the weird hesitation when going from 1st to 2nd after starting, but around 15k miles the truck started slipping in just about every gear.  I could be going 50mph and all the sudden i would experience it to just start jerking trying to shift gears.  Dealership said it was due to not having the correct transmission fluid and they flushed and replaced with a mobile 1 synthetic.  There is actually a TSB on this for the 2018-2020 models.  That seemed to help with the over all slipping but did not with the low gears.

Around 28K I started feeling this weird subtle hesitation when i would ride around 35-40mph.  So i took it back to the dealership 2 weeks ago to address the low gear hesitation and this new issue.  I just got it back today and after having it two weeks i basically got the same story everyone else is getting except they blamed my 35" tires for the 40mph issue saying that it was gear hunting due to weight of the tires and the gear ratio is not setup for that.  Even though they have been on the truck since the day it left the dealership.  Then he said the 1st to 2nd slam when i first drive it is something called "Dry Clutching".  Says that the top half of the clutch has been sitting out of the fluid for an extended time and after a few shifts it gets coated again and that's why it seems to go away after driving a few miles.

I tried to reproduce it for the shop manager, but of course it didn't happen when he was in the truck with me.  SMH..  So i guess im just going to have to swallow this BS pill considering it seems almost every single owner of these year model trucks has this issue.  By the way i did purchase the pulsar LT tuner and turned off DFM, auto start and updated my tire size and the slipping still happens.  The tuner has a throttle response feature which is useless for this truck because it just amplifies the hesitation.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine does the same thing. One time I backed up out of my buddies driveway onto a main road, shifted into drive then had to gun it and it completely lagged then slammed into gear. It felt like I hit something and scared the crap out of my kids. Is this something covered under warranty? This situation also made it unsafe for me because I needed to accelerate pretty quickly but instead bogged and slammed into gear. This should be a recall. 

Edited by Arnie8715