GM Stepping Up on Brake Issue

It's a work truck, I travel the whole PNW, and the problem did not arise till the last 8 months or so. When I give up my vehicle to the dealership for repairs, I lose money. So I finally went in to get the repair done. My question is how does GMC put a mileage or years of ownership clause on a manufacturer defect? 

27 minutes ago, Michael Wesley said:

So I am out of warranty for my 2015 GMC Sierra. I currently have 173000 miles on my work truck, and the warranty cuts off the repair at 150000. Someone please explain how a manufacturer defect is going to be my $600 problem to get repaired. Is there way around this? Class action lawsuit? 

173,000 miles and its gm's fault...geee wiz

My guess.

1 minute ago, Michael Wesley said:

It's a work truck, I travel the whole PNW, and the problem did not arise till the last 8 months or so. When I give up my vehicle to the dealership for repairs, I lose money. So I finally went in to get the repair done. My question is how does GMC put a mileage or years of ownership clause on a manufacturer defect? 

The lawyers have made it possible.

• 3 months later...

i keep getting the tsb post cards mailed to me..what did GM come up with for a fix on this, and is it noticable on brake pedal feel before and after?

the biggest improvement to brake pedal effort  i found was disabling the TCC lock in 1-3rd gear, this was the biggest gain in terms of brake pedal effort. in stock config, the engine is always pushing against the transmission durring normal/panic stops because the TCC is not disconnecting durring decelleration. very dangerous design for GM engineers to not see this!

Edited by flyingfool

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

i keep getting the tsb post cards mailed to me..what did GM come up with for a fix on this, and is it noticable on brake pedal feel before and after?

the biggest improvement to brake pedal effort  i found was disabling the TCC lock in 1-3rd gear, this was the biggest gain in terms of brake pedal effort. in stock config, the engine is always pushing against the transmission durring normal/panic stops because the TCC is not disconnecting durring decelleration. very dangerous design for GM engineers to not see this!

The vacuum pump was redesigned and they replace the old one. If you have the issue the pedal will be REALLY hard to push down, intermittently. It happens at slower speeds and it feels like you're not going to stop, but it will if you push extremely hard on the pedal. I had to basically stand on mine when it happened. Was turning left from the street into a parking lot when the car in front of me stopped. Going about 10mph the pedal got really hard and I tried slamming on the pedal and eventually stood on it to stop just in time. Took it in the dealer the next day and they replaced the vacuum pump with a redesigned one. This was before the TSB was issued and I was out of warranty. A few months later they extended the warranty just for this issue and I was reimbursed by GM for the repairs (around $700). Because I stood on the pedal to get it to stop it ruptured the boot inside the brake booster. The truck stopped fine after the new vacuum pump was put in, but I had an annoying squeak from the booster. That got replaced as well.

And as far as feel, it was the same before and after. The only difference is no intermittent hard brake pedal due to vacuum loss. Haven't had it happen since the new pump was put in ~50k miles ago.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 8:28 AM, midwestdenaliguy said:

I had to basically stand on mine  [...] A few months later they extended the warranty just for this issue and I was reimbursed by GM for the repairs (around $700). Because I stood on the pedal to get it to stop it ruptured the boot inside the brake booster. The truck stopped fine after the new vacuum pump was put in, but I had an annoying squeak from the booster. That got replaced as well.

And as far as feel, it was the same before and after. The only difference is no intermittent hard brake pedal due to vacuum loss. Haven't had it happen since the new pump was put in ~50k miles ago.

geez. good to hear that you got reimbursed there. just seems like issue after issue. but sounds like things are all well now though so thats the good part.