In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Posted (edited)

Well, here it is:

N182202780 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Brake Assist Decreased Due to Vacuum Loss

GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS

DCS5013

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date:       April 10, 2019

Subject:   N182202780 - Special Coverage

Brake Assist Decreased due to Vacuum Loss

Models:   2014 – 2017 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV

2014 – 2017 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2014 – 2017 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

To:           All General Motors Dealers

General Motors is releasing Special Coverage N182202780 today.  The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 3,357,584.  Please see the attached bulletin for details. 

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 6 years or 72,000 miles (116,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), must be submitted to the Service Contract provider. Vehicle owners or lessees who paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage (“Customers”) are eligible for reimbursement of their reasonable and customary expenses in accordance with the procedures specified below.

Edited by 2017Darkness
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where do you go to see if your VIN is involved?

Or is that a total for all vehicle's sold during that period?

So they aren’t going to do any preemptive fix.  Just extending the warranty on the vacuum pump and paying for those who have already replaced it. 

I wonder if if they’ll cover other damages if pump failure results in an accident. 

• Like 1

Why does it not include the 18's?  Did they change something for 18?  If they did it will be a surprise to me.

• Like 1

NHTSA must be seriously sniffing around them, or history has shown that they wouldn't even do this.  

PS  Where is the recall for the rest of the GM Takata airbags????

• Like 1

The heat was coming and they played their hand I would say. You can bet if not for safety they would have done nothing imo. GM seems to have this attitude if it isn't safety related and NHTSA will get involved then screw em. Right wrong or indifferent makes no difference it appears . Now about that AC condensor that is known for failure . LOL. Yeah I know it not safety related so its not GM problem they are junk ....its yours you bought it . Indeed I did. 

14 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Where do you go to see if your VIN is involved?

Or is that a total for all vehicle's sold during that period?

It is a "if you have a problem" fix, or special coverage if the issue occurs to your vehicle. Your signature shows a 2018, so you wouldn't be covered....

GM's actuaries have determined that it is more cost effective to simply offer an extended warranty.  Fixing the issue cost money and GM is betting the out of pocket expense to settle lawsuits involving fatalities and damage to property is far less.

Sure gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing the next time your wife takes the GM vehicle on a road trip packed full of kids, it could be the last time you see them, eh?

Posted (edited)

I'd like to see if anybody has one that is covered under this special policy.  I ran across a 15 Silverado that has the issue, but does not have the special coverage.  It's an LT 4wd 5.3.  And the 72,000 miles is BS,

For what it's worth, there is a bulletin extending the warranty for the PCV plugging/freezing up and then blowing out the rear main seal on 4cyl Equinox's, Terrains.  Every one I've seen come in (eight of them) was out of warranty and ironically not covered under the special policy warranty extension. It fell under the parameters of the bulletin, but the coverage didn't show up under the specific vins.

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2017Darkness said:

It is a "if you have a problem" fix, or special coverage if the issue occurs to your vehicle. Your signature shows a 2018, so you wouldn't be covered....

We also have a 2016 Tahoe, that is the one I am concerned about.

My pedal has started to get hard when parallel parking and backing into spots. 

I have an apt at the dealer Tuesday and they better change it. 

What at are some symptoms? Mine is a hard pedal when I’m in parking lots and my vac pump has had a loud tick once per engine rev ever since new. 

Posted (edited)

Should be 100K if you ask me.

This will leave many owners out in the dust that are beyond 72K

So does this coverage automatically cover replacement of the vacuum pump or only if you report a problem and they "replicate" the problem?

Edited by Sierra Dan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DeePa said:

My pedal has started to get hard when parallel parking and backing into spots. 

I have an apt at the dealer Tuesday and they better change it. 

What at are some symptoms? Mine is a hard pedal when I’m in parking lots and my vac pump has had a loud tick once per engine rev ever since new. 

Hard pedal at low speeds is one of the symptoms of low vacuum/loss of brake assist 

We have a new 2018 (4 months old) with 4000 miles and my wife just got the "Service Brake Assist" and a hard, pulsating pedal every time she applied the brakes this morning.   Turned the truck off then started back up and everything seemed fine.   Do they think the 2018's are not affected?  We tow a camper with this truck all the time, I don't need to be losing power brakes with ~6000lbs of trailer hooked up and my 2 kids in the back seat.   Will be calling the dealer about this later today. 

30 minutes ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

We have a new 2018 (4 months old) with 4000 miles and my wife just got the "Service Brake Assist" and a hard, pulsating pedal every time she applied the brakes this morning.   Turned the truck off then started back up and everything seemed fine.   Do they think the 2018's are not affected?  We tow a camper with this truck all the time, I don't need to be losing power brakes with ~6000lbs of trailer hooked up and my 2 kids in the back seat.   Will be calling the dealer about this later today. 

It's not too uncommon for GM to update a bulletin down the road to include the next year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By rag0
      Hey folks,
      I’m pretty new to the forum, so please excuse this if it’s already been mentioned.
      I’m a newish driver and new truck owner, my Silverado is actually my first car. My grandfather used to be a mechanic so he’s been teaching me things here and there, but he’s stumped on this and even after all the reading I’ve done, so am I.
      Since the day I bought my truck, about 6 months ago to be exact, I’ve felt this bounce within my brake pedal when stopping, typically from 30MPH and up. At times it can be so bad it will throw me forward.  My steering wheel doesn’t shake, nor do I feel any stuttering anywhere other than my brake pedal. It doesn’t happen all the time, and at times it’s MUCH worse than others. I do notice it is more likely to happen if my tires are hot or it’s extremely humid outside.
      I don’t think my rotors are warped nor do I think my brake pads are thin as I can stop completely smooth at times. I tested it by going from 56mph and quickly hard braking while on pavement and coceana, and I didn’t have a problem (because I had only been driving 10 minutes and my tires were still cold I assume).
      I’m pretty stumped, hopefully one of you guys will know? Thanks in advance. 

Edit: truck is a 2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 V8 5.3L with 149k miles and is a Canadian model
    • By Pyro In Tampa
      I just purchased a 2019 Silverado 1500 Custom Crew Cab 2 weeks ago. They towed it back to the dealer this morning. I tried to drive it to work yesterday and the parking brake would not release. A tow driver came out yesterday, and he got it to release (while I was at work using another car). then I received two e-mails from On Star. One said a problem was detected with the Stabilitrack Stability Traction System. The second said a problem was detected with the anti-lock brake system, and I needed to get the truck serviced within 7 days. Since I didn't feel safe driving it there, I called GM's Roadside Assistance and had it towed back to the dealer today. According to the tow truck driver, the 2019 Silverado has a new electronic brake system they (GM) haven't used before. He said he's been towing a LOT of cars and trucks lately that have this new electronic brake system. I went to the dealership to get a loaner truck, and I asked them about the new system. The advisor there confirmed that there is a new brake system on the 2019 trucks, and they are having issues with it. (That would have been good to know before I bought it 2 weeks ago!) He told me they have parts and they have software upgrades to fix it, but it's going to be at least two days before he can even get it in the shop. We're a GM family and we've owned lots of brand new GM cars, but this is our first pickup truck. Has anyone else had this same issue? If so, were they able to resolve it successfully? I don't want to be in and out of the dealership every other week getting stuff fixed now. This is really disheartening. 
    • By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      9-11-2019

General Motors has announced that NHTSA is mandating a safety recall for the following vehicles:
      2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Pickups (1500 / 2500 / 3500) 2015-2018 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Yukon vehicles  2015-2017 Cadillac Escalade  
      NHTSA reports that the amount of vacuum created by the vacuum pump may decrease over time. The group says that as the vacuum level drops, the brake assist decreases, and that this increasing braking effort, extending the distance required to stop the vehicle, thereby increasing the risk of a crash. This new recall covers 3.4 million vehicles. 

The Problem: The brake pump uses engine oil to lubricate itself. If the pump becomes clogged with engine oil sludge the units ability to create vaccum is diminished over time. As a result, braking force and ability also drops. The issue is usually accompanied by a "Service Brake Assist" warning message in the dash. 

The Fix: GM will reprogram the computer that controls the secondary brake assist pump. The secondary pump will now activate at lower speeds and different situations quicker to compensate for any lost output from the main pump. Since the pumps are not failing, GM has decided not to replace them.

GM's number for this recall is N192268490. In compliance with federal law, GM will notify owners, typically by snail mail. GM says that its dealers will reprogram the Electronic Brake Control Module. However, GM has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-630-2438, Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006 or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782.

If you own one of these vehicles and wish to check to see if your vehicle is included (or not) you can do so at this link immediately.

As with every safety recall, customers will not be charged by GM for the needed repairs or modifications. 

NHTSA's public information on this issue indicates that many accidents have been reported to NHTSA including some with injuries. This recall is the result of a NHTSA investigation that lasted nearly a year. In its investigation report, NHTSA noted the following details about the problem:

• By Toolmaker1
      Hey folks, first time posting here and maybe it’s a common thing. I’ve searched google and YouTube for days, replaced parts, and done the troubleshooting I know to do. So here it is, bear in mind, im no auto mechanic. I’m a jet mechanic/toolmaker. Lol

my front pass brake locked up Friday, and the abs/parking brake light has been on since the dealer I got the truck from replaced the parking brake cable. I don’t hear a roaring, so I don’t feel like it’s a hub, but I do have some bouncing on the front end which leads me to think it may be an axel, which I still have to get looked at.
      parking brake and abs lights come on after a few seconds of driving, I hear brakes grinding, and I just replaced both front rotors, pads, and passenger caliper and abs sensor after it locked up; since it melted the abs sensor cable.

brakes are bled properly and working, but they aren’t fully releasing. I’ve checked fluid, it’s not overfilled. Driver hub was previously replaced but not passenger for some reason. I considered ordering a hub for the passenger side just for that. Rotors are 305mm and the pads I installed are ceramic from brake best. Yes, the rotors get hot after a short drive, like too hot to touch. I’d rather not have these things lock up on me again. The only thing left I know to check are the piston in the master cylinder, or the passenger hub. 

Any ideas? If I’ve missed good reference material or prior posts please feel free to comment with a link and a nice “check here dumbass.” Lol 
      thanks in advance.
    • By brittsnbirds
      I have recently noticed when I apply my brakes on my 2500 HD my truck pulls to the left and steering wheel shutters.  The brakes should be good, don't have that many miles on them.  It happens when I hit the brakes quick.   If I gradually put them on it doesn't do it.

Any ideas??