GM Stepping Up on Brake Issue

Well, here it is:

N182202780 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Brake Assist Decreased Due to Vacuum Loss

GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS

DCS5013

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date:       April 10, 2019

Subject:   N182202780 - Special Coverage

Brake Assist Decreased due to Vacuum Loss

Models:   2014 – 2017 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV

2014 – 2017 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2014 – 2017 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

To:           All General Motors Dealers

General Motors is releasing Special Coverage N182202780 today.  The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 3,357,584.  Please see the attached bulletin for details. 

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 6 years or 72,000 miles (116,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to April 10, 2019 for US, (April 11, 2019 for Canada), must be submitted to the Service Contract provider. Vehicle owners or lessees who paid for repairs referenced in this Special Coverage (“Customers”) are eligible for reimbursement of their reasonable and customary expenses in accordance with the procedures specified below.

Edited by 2017Darkness
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So they aren’t going to do any preemptive fix.  Just extending the warranty on the vacuum pump and paying for those who have already replaced it. 

I wonder if if they’ll cover other damages if pump failure results in an accident. 

• Like 1

The heat was coming and they played their hand I would say. You can bet if not for safety they would have done nothing imo. GM seems to have this attitude if it isn't safety related and NHTSA will get involved then screw em. Right wrong or indifferent makes no difference it appears . Now about that AC condensor that is known for failure . LOL. Yeah I know it not safety related so its not GM problem they are junk ....its yours you bought it . Indeed I did. 

14 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Where do you go to see if your VIN is involved?

Or is that a total for all vehicle's sold during that period?

It is a "if you have a problem" fix, or special coverage if the issue occurs to your vehicle. Your signature shows a 2018, so you wouldn't be covered....

GM's actuaries have determined that it is more cost effective to simply offer an extended warranty.  Fixing the issue cost money and GM is betting the out of pocket expense to settle lawsuits involving fatalities and damage to property is far less.

Sure gives you a warm fuzzy feeling knowing the next time your wife takes the GM vehicle on a road trip packed full of kids, it could be the last time you see them, eh?

I'd like to see if anybody has one that is covered under this special policy.  I ran across a 15 Silverado that has the issue, but does not have the special coverage.  It's an LT 4wd 5.3.  And the 72,000 miles is BS,

For what it's worth, there is a bulletin extending the warranty for the PCV plugging/freezing up and then blowing out the rear main seal on 4cyl Equinox's, Terrains.  Every one I've seen come in (eight of them) was out of warranty and ironically not covered under the special policy warranty extension. It fell under the parameters of the bulletin, but the coverage didn't show up under the specific vins.

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2017Darkness said:

It is a "if you have a problem" fix, or special coverage if the issue occurs to your vehicle. Your signature shows a 2018, so you wouldn't be covered....

We also have a 2016 Tahoe, that is the one I am concerned about.

My pedal has started to get hard when parallel parking and backing into spots. 

I have an apt at the dealer Tuesday and they better change it. 

What at are some symptoms? Mine is a hard pedal when I’m in parking lots and my vac pump has had a loud tick once per engine rev ever since new. 

Should be 100K if you ask me.

This will leave many owners out in the dust that are beyond 72K

So does this coverage automatically cover replacement of the vacuum pump or only if you report a problem and they "replicate" the problem?

Edited by Sierra Dan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DeePa said:

My pedal has started to get hard when parallel parking and backing into spots. 

I have an apt at the dealer Tuesday and they better change it. 

What at are some symptoms? Mine is a hard pedal when I’m in parking lots and my vac pump has had a loud tick once per engine rev ever since new. 

Hard pedal at low speeds is one of the symptoms of low vacuum/loss of brake assist 

We have a new 2018 (4 months old) with 4000 miles and my wife just got the "Service Brake Assist" and a hard, pulsating pedal every time she applied the brakes this morning.   Turned the truck off then started back up and everything seemed fine.   Do they think the 2018's are not affected?  We tow a camper with this truck all the time, I don't need to be losing power brakes with ~6000lbs of trailer hooked up and my 2 kids in the back seat.   Will be calling the dealer about this later today. 

30 minutes ago, TwoBallScrewBall said:

We have a new 2018 (4 months old) with 4000 miles and my wife just got the "Service Brake Assist" and a hard, pulsating pedal every time she applied the brakes this morning.   Turned the truck off then started back up and everything seemed fine.   Do they think the 2018's are not affected?  We tow a camper with this truck all the time, I don't need to be losing power brakes with ~6000lbs of trailer hooked up and my 2 kids in the back seat.   Will be calling the dealer about this later today. 

It's not too uncommon for GM to update a bulletin down the road to include the next year.