GM Stepping Up on Brake Issue

The 2018 have  Pump - 12669488 it replaces  part numbers12654013, 12659655, 12660004, 12662552.

I suspect they fixed whatever was causing the issue with the old pumps so the 2018 are not in the extended warranty.

• Thanks 1

Current Class Action all us truck owners are a part of for this brake problem is:

Scott Peckerar and Samantha Peckerar, et al., v. General Motors LLC.

Whole lot of lawyers on both sides.

• 1 month later...

I was on my way back from a beach vacation Saturday along with two other vehicles driven by other family members.  I drive a 2016 Sierra 1500 SLT with 30,000 miles on it. After driving for 1 1/2 hours with many opportunities to use my brakes, our convoy needed to make a stop to turn left.  To my great surprise the power assist was not working. At first I thought I had no brakes at all.  I pressed hard with both feet and stopped the truck before I rear ended my son in law and his family. Scared me to death!! I phoned ahead to our lead car and told them I had serious vehicle problems.  There’s no way I could drive 400 miles with heavy traffic safely. We searched for the nearest GM dealer and selected J. M.Jackson in Andalusia, Al.  Even though it was a Saturday, the sales people called the service manager who came in along with a service tech.  Shorty I had a new vacuum pump installed and there was no charge since GM had issued a service bulletin.  Outstanding service from this dealership.  They were wonderful to deal with.  But now I’m worried about another failure.  I barely avoided an accident this time.  There was absolutely no warning. After the initial failure to brake properly, I got a service brake assist message.  I wonder what if anything GM plans for the long term?  I can’t drive this truck or let my wife and grandkids drive it wondering when this will happen again.  

2 hours ago, Phillip Mullins said:

I was on my way back from a beach vacation Saturday along with two other vehicles driven by other family members.  I drive a 2016 Sierra 1500 SLT with 30,000 miles on it. After driving for 1 1/2 hours with many opportunities to use my brakes, our convoy needed to make a stop to turn left.  To my great surprise the power assist was not working. At first I thought I had no brakes at all.  I pressed hard with both feet and stopped the truck before I rear ended my son in law and his family. Scared me to death!! I phoned ahead to our lead car and told them I had serious vehicle problems.  There’s no way I could drive 400 miles with heavy traffic safely. We searched for the nearest GM dealer and selected J. M.Jackson in Andalusia, Al.  Even though it was a Saturday, the sales people called the service manager who came in along with a service tech.  Shorty I had a new vacuum pump installed and there was no charge since GM had issued a service bulletin.  Outstanding service from this dealership.  They were wonderful to deal with.  But now I’m worried about another failure.  I barely avoided an accident this time.  There was absolutely no warning. After the initial failure to brake properly, I got a service brake assist message.  I wonder what if anything GM plans for the long term?  I can’t drive this truck or let my wife and grandkids drive it wondering when this will happen again.  

Report the incident to the NHTSA and CoreyWatson dot com who is the Lawfirm for the Federal Class Action.

Failure to file a NHTSA Complaint, your experience did not happen. Only about 200 have filed NHTSA complaints, likely less than 10% of people it happened to.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Phillip Mullins said:

The pump has been updated from the old version.

So far I have not heard of a second failure with the revised unit.

I would like to get mine changed on my 15 Sierra but breaks have been working fine. Problem is,my wife is scared to drive it now. And I know they wont change it unless there is a problem with it. Anybody got any idea what I should do?

Just now, 15 Z71 said:

I would like to get mine changed on my 15 Sierra but breaks have been working fine. Problem is,my wife is scared to drive it now. And I know they wont change it unless there is a problem with it. Anybody got any idea what I should do?

Are you under the 72K warranty requirement ?   6 years or 72K

Should be 7 year 100K if you ask me. Especially for those of us early owners who just received notice about a month ago.

Just now, Sierra Dan said:

Are you under the 72K warranty requirement ?   6 years or 72K

Should be 7 year 100K if you ask me. Especially for those of us early owners who just received notice about a month ago.

Yes I'm at 48,000 miles. I just got letter a month or so ago.

2 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Then you are still in good shape.

Some dealers will replace regardless of if they can "duplicate" an issue or not.

Just take it in and tell them I feel unsafe and want it changed or wait? 

Just now, 15 Z71 said:

Just take it in and tell them I feel unsafe and want it changed or wait? 

It's not that easy, but some members have had success.

It really all depends on the dealer.

i still see no reason why these trucks need a vacuum pump when for years we've been using manifold vac for brake booster power, just run a simple hose to your manifold and delete the damn pump..

21 hours ago, flyingfool said:

i still see no reason why these trucks need a vacuum pump when for years we've been using manifold vac for brake booster power, just run a simple hose to your manifold and delete the damn pump..

If you deactivate AFM and tune for it then that's probably possible, but a better route is to use the electric vacuum pump like the Vettes have. The thoughts behind implementing the vacuum pump was due to the reduced manifold vacuum in V4 mode. 

Edited by Jglew82
clarity - fixed word salad
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...

I picked up my ‘15 Silverado today after taking in for vac pump failure, truck has 53,000 on it. If it was not for reading this thread I would be out 600.00 right now. When I questioned the 600.00 charge and said that I was told it would be covered un Nader warranty. They did not argue, they quickly took off the charges and apologized for it.makes me wonder how many uninformed owners are being whacked for the bill and if the dealership also turns it in for a warranty claim for the double dip. Scumbags. That dealer is off my list. Thanks folks for this info.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

THIS IS A COMPLETE JOKE.  ON OCTOBER 3RD 2019, I WAS PULLING INTO MY GARAGE, THANK GOD I WASNT GOING VERY FAST AND HAD NO WARNING, NO DASH LIGHTS, NOTHING!!! STEPPED ON MY BRAKES AND HAD NOTHING.  I HAD TO LITERALLY STAND ON THEM TO GET MY PICKUP STOPPED BEFORE RUNNING THROUGH MY GARAGE.  I RECIEVED NO INDICATION OR MAIL STATING THIS WAS A ISSUE IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR.  THAT BEING SAID MY PICKUP NOW HAS 81,000 MILES ON IT.  CAN I OR WILL I GET NOW THAT IM OVER THE MILEAGE CRITERIA AND I WOULD HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE CRITERIA IN APRIL?  WHAT IF I HAD TO COME TO A STOP FOR PEDESTRIAN? NO CHANCE!!! I WOULD HIT THEM AND I'D BE GETTING SUED OVER A BS APPLICATION THAT THE GM WONT OWN UP TO.  WHERE THE  HELL DOES 72,000 MILES COME FROM?  THATS ABOUT THE ODDEST MILEAGE CRITERIA I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS.  IM PURSUING THIS ISSUE WITH GM AND WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.  MIGHT HAVE TO GET A LAWYER INVOLVED AS WELL.  I CANT BELIEVE A COMPANY OF THIS SIZE WONT HELP THE CUSTOMERS OUT THAT MAKE THEIR COMPANY A SUCCESSFUL ONE.