GM Stepping Up on Brake Issue

6 hours ago, GANDERCHICKEN said:

THIS IS A COMPLETE JOKE.  ON OCTOBER 3RD 2019, I WAS PULLING INTO MY GARAGE, THANK GOD I WASNT GOING VERY FAST AND HAD NO WARNING, NO DASH LIGHTS, NOTHING!!! STEPPED ON MY BRAKES AND HAD NOTHING.  I HAD TO LITERALLY STAND ON THEM TO GET MY PICKUP STOPPED BEFORE RUNNING THROUGH MY GARAGE.  I RECIEVED NO INDICATION OR MAIL STATING THIS WAS A ISSUE IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR.  THAT BEING SAID MY PICKUP NOW HAS 81,000 MILES ON IT.  CAN I OR WILL I GET NOW THAT IM OVER THE MILEAGE CRITERIA AND I WOULD HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE CRITERIA IN APRIL?  WHAT IF I HAD TO COME TO A STOP FOR PEDESTRIAN? NO CHANCE!!! I WOULD HIT THEM AND I'D BE GETTING SUED OVER A BS APPLICATION THAT THE GM WONT OWN UP TO.  WHERE THE  HELL DOES 72,000 MILES COME FROM?  THATS ABOUT THE ODDEST MILEAGE CRITERIA I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS.  IM PURSUING THIS ISSUE WITH GM AND WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.  MIGHT HAVE TO GET A LAWYER INVOLVED AS WELL.  I CANT BELIEVE A COMPANY OF THIS SIZE WONT HELP THE CUSTOMERS OUT THAT MAKE THEIR COMPANY A SUCCESSFUL ONE.

They’ll do the reprogramming since that is a recall. If the vacuum pump is shot, you wouldn’t be covered unless you can get a goodwill repair.  Personally, I think the reprogramming is a temp fix to get people in excess of the extended warranty timeframe — it looks like they’re doing something about it and it’s millions of dollars cheaper than replacing the pump. 

Edited by paumat

• 1 month later...

Hey all, I am in Canada, I have a 2016 Silverado, and just got a letter today. First I’ve heard of this issue! While I think the failure should be addressed better, the letter I just got says the warranty on the pump is now 10 years or 240,000 kilometers, (almost 150,000 miles). Anyone else get this new letter?

I would just recommend everyone leave your truck in M5 mode when using the vehicle this way you dont flip over to V4 mode and loose brake vacuum.

I wonder what GM is reprogramming to cover up with software fix.  only thing I can imagine is they are reducing the ability of the truck to enter v4 mode......v4 mode doesnt allow the engine to produce manifold vacuum and thus no brake booster.. I'm not interested in giving up v4 ability by tuning it out.. wish i could get more details on the software...

anychance I can save the origional software to a file on my laptop using the GMtech2  clone interface before I go to the dealer and they wipe it out and reinstall thier file?

Edited by flyingfool

I also received a letter today from GM.  They said if this condition occurs on your 2014 Chevrolet Silverado within 10 years or 150,000 miles which ever occurs first the condition will be repaired at no cost. 

I am thinking this is more of a problem than they think or want to admit.  Maybe I need to go in and tell them this thing isn't stopping at slow speeds, darn near went through the Kwik Shop store front window. 

6 hours ago, flyingfool said:

any chance I can delete the vac pump and install the Hydro booster from the 2500/3500 model trucks?

Is your steering hydraulic? That's where the hydro boost system gets its power, from the power steering pump.

ahh that's right, make sense since they still use the old 6.0  motor and not the new 6.2 DI motor on the 2500 trucks.  just brainstorming out loud ..

but still , will a steering pump bolt up to the 5.3-6.2 motors?

Edited by flyingfool

I have received this letter for both my 2014 Silverado  w/ 100K and my wife's 2015 Tahoe w/ 75K for the "software" update. I have not had the brake experiences on either vehicle that are mentioned but am now nervous about it. Should I push the issue to replace the vacuum pump? I am reading others have the software update performed and either never having the issue before and experiencing it after the software update or having the issue before and after. Either way the software update is not addressing the issue.

• Like 1

I have received this letter for both my 2014 Silverado  w/ 100K and my wife's 2015 Tahoe w/ 75K for the "software" update. I have not had the brake experiences on either vehicle that are mentioned but am now nervous about it. Should I push the issue to replace the vacuum pump? I am reading others have the software update performed and either never having the issue before and experiencing it after the software update or having the issue before and after. Either way the software update is not addressing the issue.

I never had a problem, with my 14 Silverado, and I took it in about a month ago to have it recalibrated, and still haven’t had a problem.
  • Like 1

I've encountered this problem over the years.  The last time, my wife and I thought we were going to hit a stopped car.  I had both feet on the brake pedal and was pulling on the steering wheel to stop.  And I have 6 piston Wilwood 14.25 brakes in the front.  Clearly the vacuum assist was deficient when I needed it.  I just received my recall letter recently.   I'm wondering if the dealer will question/refuse service due to my Wilwoods.  Only way to tell is to go in.   

Prior to this I had also thought about installing a pump and hydra-vac from a 2500.  

Edited by Spurshot

2 hours ago, Spurshot said:

I'

Prior to this I had also thought about installing a pump and hydra-vac from a 2500.  

i had the same thought because I've seen a couple ford Bronco guys ditch thier vac boosted brakes in favor of hydro-boost.  i do have a 2500HD sierra with this set up and it's rock solid.  

Edited by flyingfool

• 10 months later...
20 minutes ago, Michael Wesley said:

So I am out of warranty for my 2015 GMC Sierra. I currently have 173000 miles on my work truck, and the warranty cuts off the repair at 150000. Someone please explain how a manufacturer defect is going to be my $600 problem to get repaired. Is there way around this? Class action lawsuit? 

How did you get to 173k with AFM and original vacuum pump?