GM Stepping Up on Brake Issue

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Another extra part thanks to cylinder deactivation. How much gas money are we saving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFM or Skip fire on the T1's already proving to be somewhat of a gimmick. Auto Start stop also.

When is the Govt. going to require the Hellcat to have all of these MPG features?

DFM or Skip fire on the T1's already proving to be somewhat of a gimmick. Auto Start stop also.
When is the Govt. going to require the Hellcat to have all of these MPG features?

My sons Malibu has auto stop start. At two years old he had to replace a 400$ battery, one of two. GM may be hitting its MPG numbers. There’s no savings for the customer when parts fail that weren’t required prior to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received my notice this week.  Called the dealership.  Nope, they can't do anything, as I am over the mileage.  They gave me GM customer service.  Called them.  They escalated to a supervisor.  Supervisor called yesterday.  GM will no repair.  Even though, I have voiced my concerns at each maintenance I did at two different dealerships (I just was told everything looks fine, and no recalls).  GM now says, because I didn't explicitly have the vehicle in for an evaluation of the issue, they won't even look at helping me.  That if they made the exception for one person, then they would have to make more exceptions.  I guess it takes the death, or serious injuries for them to relent and repair?  I am in Ontario, Canada.  As it is, I have been using a private garage lately, as both dealerships were more concerned with upsale, vs repair of the vehicle.  I will take it to him, to see the price of repair.  

Does anyone else in Ontario, have any other direction I can proceed to push for this repair to be covered?

On 4/17/2019 at 1:25 PM, Grjfer said:

Call my dealer today, to inquire about the extended service period. They referred me to GM. I called GM and they referred me back to the dealer. I hope this isn't a series of run around.

Started the paperwork process today. Dealer has been very helpful so far. To anyone looking to get reimbursed you will need your receipt and your form of payment (check, credit card) 

6 hours ago, cr250Silverado said:

My pump failed on my 18' at 8k (if I recall correctly).  I get GM is running a business, but safety isn't something you play a "numbers game" with.... 

That's the auto industry for you. They all do it.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ford-f-150-brake-pedal-goes-to-floor.shtml

• Thanks 1

Crazy, I *kinda* get them playing the numbers game with non-safety things (stereo, engine reliability, etc), but safety shouldn't be one of those (brakes, steering, etc).  

Seems like lawsuits are the only way to put pressure on them...

Edited by cr250Silverado
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 5:44 AM, Kim K said:

Does anyone else in Ontario, have any other direction I can proceed to push for this repair to be covered?

Try CAMVAP. In fact, I would encourage this for all Canadians who received this notice, whether you are experiencing the issue or not. Just the fact that this bulletin exists is a safety concern, and will effect the resale value of the truck. Also try CBC marketplace (although they are pretty lazy with followups) and your local news stations.  Apparently GM has known about this issue for a while and is only just doing something about it now. As another poster assumes, they must be feeling the heat. More press is good.

Seriously consider this for a moment. There is a realistic probability that your trucks brakes not work properly sometime in the future. How is this not an instant recall?

Your first impulse may be to go with a class action, but its harder in Canada to get that going. You are better off hitting them where they hurt: Future sales. I've known some people to spend nice sunny weekends in a camping chair outside their local dealership, showing their recall notices and bulletins to anyone who walks in. I'm not that committed. ;)  The dealer may call the police on you, but as long as you aren't creating a nuisance or obstructing anything, they can't do much to you.

Edit:

So I contacted Transport Canada's Motor Vehicles Safety and Recalls Department ( 1-800-333-0510) and left a message. They actually called me back! I spoke with the representative their, who said they are actively investigating this issue. They confirmed they do have the authority to require that GM issue a recall, but right now they are only investigating.

The main concern is with the brakes suddenly  and unexpectedly changing their performance characteristics during maneuvers where that could be dangerous. I expressed to him that this was my concern. I'm not so worried about cost as I am about my brakes suddenly requiring more force than usual. He agreed it was a concern, but did not indicate as to whether it was enough of a concern to justify a safety recall.

I would advise any Canadian on this thread to contact Transport Canada and voice your concern, especially if you have experienced this issue.

Edited by Baytrucker
Additional Info

Based on the letter we must experience the hard pedal and have a code pop up on the dash before the pump will be replaced. 

And for many of us 14 owners that 6 years and 72K miles has come and gone. Personally it should be extended to 100K if you ask me.

There is an 84 month 120K mileage seat belt strap extension after all.

Unless we try to convince a dealer that this has happened and they replace it anyway. I am sure some dealers will others will insist a check engine light show up first.

By then for some of us it could be too late.

This whole topic is very reminiscent of the infamous ignition switch spring recall not long ago.