Off-roading in my leveled Silverado?

Question for the off road guys on this forum..

I am looking to up my tire size on my leveled 2018 Z71 Silverado. I put the 2” RC level in and took it off-road and it performed much better than I had expected. However I hate the good year durotracs and want to upgrade my tires and get a bigger size, I was thinking 33s.

Now I am just wondering if I put 33s on a 20” rim how that will perform off-road. I know some people say you can run 33s without rubbing but I’m assuming that’s only on road use. Would love to hear some recommendations 

Just now, rkj__ said:

Why do you hate the Duratrac?  That is a surprising comment.  What conditions are you facing?

I shouldn’t have said hate them but I gave the Duratracs a try and I certainly prefer the BFG KO2s. In terms of general street usage especially. However as I’ve been getting into off-roading a lot more, I’m kind of leaning towards maybe going to a full on MT. I never really used the KO2s off-road, so I might try those again.Like I said I notice they’re considerably better than the duratracs on the street anyway. 

• Like 1

I am looking to up my tire size on my leveled 2018 Z71 Silverado. I put the 2” RC level in and took it off-road and it performed much better than I had expected. However I hate the good year durotracs and want to upgrade my tires and get a bigger size, I was thinking 33s.

Now I am just wondering if I put 33s on a 20” rim how that will perform off-road. I know some people say you can run 33s without rubbing but I’m assuming that’s only on road use. Would love to hear some recommendations 

Assuming you’ve got 20” wheels, You’re asking for a world of trouble! First off, 16’s-18’s have different uca’s which causes 100% rubbing going up just one size and it’s even worse with AT tires. I did the 2.25” on my 18 and was forced to get new +1 offset wheels in order to get my 33” to stop rubbing. Leveling only raises your front a couple inches giving you a feel that you can go off-roading but you shouldn’t. Leveling with blocks caused my ride quality to suffer lots and later because I just couldn’t handle the ride quality any longer decided to just do a lift with coil overs which gave me a stock like feel “BUT” no matter what you do the larger E rated tire “WILL” ride much rougher than stock.

If you’re wanting different tires (which don’t know why cause duratracs are pretty good off-road tires) then you will be looking at either keeping your same size or new wheels with different offset which then you’ll be able to fit 33”-34” tires but still riding much rougher than stock size tires.

If it’s not rubbing now which it shouldn’t with stock size then it will 100% rub going just one size bigger because of the angle of the uca’s.
I do not recommend for you to off-road with leveling kit, it’s a misleading mirage and it’s BS if anyone says it doesn’t rub cause it does with 20” wheels on a level with added ball joint and cv stress!

Sent from above

6 minutes ago, Lamekurt said:

I shouldn’t have said hate them but I gave the Duratracs a try and I certainly prefer the BFG KO2s. In terms of general street usage especially. However as I’ve been getting into off-roading a lot more, I’m kind of leaning towards maybe going to a full on MT. I never really used the KO2s off-road, so I might try those again.Like I said I notice they’re considerably better than the duratracs on the street anyway. 

So, you are thinking of going from an AT to a MT, but you want something that is better for "general street usage?"

KO2’s are a smoother riding on street tire but does have its shortfall in mud where duratracs prevail with more of a mt design. I’d save your money and look at getting new offset wheels in order to get larger tires before getting into a world of pain due to rubbing especially with larger AT or MT tires. Btw, if you’re considering KO2’s for better ride quality then I’d stay away from MT’s which are very loud, rougher riding than duratracs

Sent from above

If you do go with 33’s I’d suggest a 1/4” spacer up front. And as far as tires go, I’d highly recommend the BFG KM3. Amazing tires on and off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Leveling with blocks caused my ride quality to suffer lots

I do not recommend for you to off-road with leveling kit, it’s a misleading mirage and it’s BS if anyone says it doesn’t rub cause it does with 20” wheels on a level with added ball joint and cv stress!

Explain how your ride quality suffered when blocks do not change the spring rates/shock dampening at all. Did you buy pre-load spacers? Those will stiffen the ride, it is the same that is done with leveling struts such as Bilsteins; they compress the spring to get their load/lift which impacts ride quality. The only added ill effect of a spacer in terms of ride is the higher you go the closer you are to full droop, any larger bump and the suspension can easily hit full drop and cause an unpleasant feel or sound. That is why I say stay at or below 2 inches (the lower the better), otherwise there is no ill impact on ride. Now many add larger tires of the e-rated variety and that will stiffen the ride, but it isn't the level. 

So is everyone rubbing with a single upsize in tires on the 20's? I haven't heard much of that unless people start going 2 or 3 sizes up. Granted I have 18's and a 1.5 level and it didn't rub on any of the trails in Moab or Colorado but I swear I would be hearing more complaints on rubbing for how many of the trucks come with 20's that level. Is the rim a different offset or what is the difference compared to the 18's or 17's? Would be nice to know as I am going to install a 2 inch motofab front and 1 inch rear kit on a buddies 2016 Z71 with 20's this weekend and want to make sure he doesn't rub with his tire choice (though he won't be off road much if at all). 

Tyler

Explain how your ride quality suffered when blocks do not change the spring rates/shock dampening at all. Did you buy pre-load spacers? Those will stiffen the ride, it is the same that is done with leveling struts such as Bilsteins; they compress the spring to get their load/lift which impacts ride quality. The only added ill effect of a spacer in terms of ride is the higher you go the closer you are to full droop, any larger bump and the suspension can easily hit full drop and cause an unpleasant feel or sound. That is why I say stay at or below 2 inches (the lower the better), otherwise there is no ill impact on ride. Now many add larger tires of the e-rated variety and that will stiffen the ride, but it isn't the level.    So is everyone rubbing with a single upsize in tires on the 20's? I haven't heard much of that unless people start going 2 or 3 sizes up. Granted I have 18's and a 1.5 level and it didn't rub on any of the trails in Moab or Colorado but I swear I would be hearing more complaints on rubbing for how many of the trucks come with 20's that level. Is the rim a different offset or what is the difference compared to the 18's or 17's? Would be nice to know as I am going to install a 2 inch motofab front and 1 inch rear kit on a buddies 2016 Z71 with 20's this weekend and want to make sure he doesn't rub with his tire choice (though he won't be off road much if at all). 

Tyler

Here’s what I had on my truck, along with brand new 5100’s all the way around. Rode Horrible with the leveling kit.

659db56b8109b341dbde62ecf0432432.jpg

89f8a6567999efcc79a08e40c92d26a7.jpg

Switched to this CST 4.5”-5” lift with CST Coil Overs and rear Piggybacks which felt like stock until the E-F rated tires gave it slightly rougher ride. Best upgrade I’ve ever done on this truck.

35b58e4cefae05ad13d5cfc1ce1fa279.jpg244049355151099cae41effff869f15f.jpg

7198e2d90e2a86e4f114f761e1dcaa64.jpg

Sent from above

Explain how your ride quality suffered when blocks do not change the spring rates/shock dampening at all. Did you buy pre-load spacers? Those will stiffen the ride, it is the same that is done with leveling struts such as Bilsteins; they compress the spring to get their load/lift which impacts ride quality. The only added ill effect of a spacer in terms of ride is the higher you go the closer you are to full droop, any larger bump and the suspension can easily hit full drop and cause an unpleasant feel or sound. That is why I say stay at or below 2 inches (the lower the better), otherwise there is no ill impact on ride. Now many add larger tires of the e-rated variety and that will stiffen the ride, but it isn't the level. 

So is everyone rubbing with a single upsize in tires on the 20's? I haven't heard much of that unless people start going 2 or 3 sizes up. Granted I have 18's and a 1.5 level and it didn't rub on any of the trails in Moab or Colorado but I swear I would be hearing more complaints on rubbing for how many of the trucks come with 20's that level. Is the rim a different offset or what is the difference compared to the 18's or 17's? Would be nice to know as I am going to install a 2 inch motofab front and 1 inch rear kit on a buddies 2016 Z71 with 20's this weekend and want to make sure he doesn't rub with his tire choice (though he won't be off road much if at all). 

Tyler

I promise you, you’ll be rubbing as soon as you turn to pull out of the tire shop. Not doing the leveling kit having it stock will allow you 275/60/20’s and that’s it without rubbing. As you can see I had new wheels installed with a plus 1 offset just to fit the 33’s.

Sent from above

TX, 275/60/20's are 33" tall tires.  32.99" by calculation.

I know, that’s the only size he’ll be able to put on without level but with level not even that without rubbing

Sent from above

7 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I know, that’s the only size he’ll be able to put on without level but with level not even that without rubbing

Sent from above

I have a level though lol. But apparently it seems like I’ll have to save up some money and do a lift. My original plan was a 6” BDS, but I didn’t consider having to regear from my current 3.42s which is obviously much needed for 35s, and off-roading especially. Guess I’ll run the smaller set up until my warranty is up! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Sent from above

I see, I understand now, I misunderstood when I read the first post.

• Like 1