Jingle jingle underneath only in 2wd

I’ve owned 7 and it’s my last one as well. GM is ridiculous. They can’t fix anything on these new trucks. They have zero customer service and really don’t even care. I fought for 7 months before they did anything. I just sat in the dealership as they worked on it and told everyone that came in there what issues I was having. Never did get it fixed. Had to file a BBB claim before anyone would acknowledge my issues. It’s a joke. 

• Like 1

Question for everyone -

My truck has this issue too.  Is anyone aware of long term damage from this?  Wondering if it's a slight rub or actually chipping/wearing away/destroying something in the diff?

I'm willing to take a longer term view and make sure GM is aware of my issue but if worse comes to worse in a few years I'll swap the diff out with a junk yard unit myself.  I love the truck otherwise.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, themightywrench said:

It took several months. I tried to get it fixed back in May but was told they couldn't get the parts for a few months. They finally got the parts in yesterday

Any update on if it fixed your issue? If so, how many miles have you out on since the fix?

I just had the "fix" done to my truck yesterday(10/15/2020). New axle shaft, seals and the o-ring. So far so good, but I really haven't had the chance to drive it a good amount of time or distance. And the weather is turning cool/cold here in Wisconsin so it would take longer for the noise to happen. And from other posts I've seen some say the problem went away for a couple hundred miles after the fix, then came back. So I'm going to be listening for it to happen again and will come back here now and again to see how others are dealing with there's and to keep people informed on how mine is doing.

On 10/1/2020 at 6:05 AM, Mcropper514 said:

I think if you look up the SU5 Axles don't have this issue, only the SU4s.  I've been doing some research and trying to find out which models have the SU4s or if it just depends on where the truck is made.

Mine was built in Indiana.  If you go look at them and scan the barcode on the B pillar you can see the build code.  I'm going to make sure when I get rid of this one that it doesn't have the SU4 axle in the new one.

Looks like the SU5 has the same noise.

1 hour ago, Silverado4x4 said:

No he didn't have the SU5 axle he has the SU4 which is made by American Axle the SU5 is made by GM. The SU4 is the only axle with this problem.

I'm just going by what he said in his post,  "I have the SU5 on my 2020 and it’s making the same sound.

It could be that it happens but the majority of this issue seems to be isolated to the SU4 axle. GM even calls out only that axle on the PIP document. Not saying it can’t happen to the other but the reporting from everyone who has the issue overwhelmingly points to the SU4.

Just curious if the SU5 axle is only for the single speed transfer case. Most of the issues seem to be either LT or RST.

Anybody with the single speed case have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my 2020, Dealership has had my truck since last Wednesday. A clip in the front differential was stuck and they couldn't remove the portion they needed to in order to just replace the axle (stub shaft). GM approved a Front Diff replacement. Patiently waiting for my truck to be finished, and hoping that I don't have to go back... Followed the PIP / TSB 

So I had that happen to me the first time they attempted the repair. If you don’t have the right tool, the actual GM stub shaft puller, it doesn’t pull evenly and breaks the clip. They pulled the front diff cover and had to use a wedge to pop the shaft out.

7BC83E0A-E83E-4336-AFAA-DB1BE0C4AB18.jpeg

On 10/28/2020 at 4:54 PM, Otherguy said:

So I had that happen to me the first time they attempted the repair. If you don’t have the right tool, the actual GM stub shaft puller, it doesn’t pull evenly and breaks the clip. They pulled the front diff cover and had to use a wedge to pop the shaft out.

7BC83E0A-E83E-4336-AFAA-DB1BE0C4AB18.jpeg

Hey, I just ran into this issue. The tech spent 4 hours making a tool to pull the stub. Broke the clip, and cleaned out the broken pieces in the front diff since GM stated there are none for replacement right now... Just waiting for the front diff to explode now.... 

1 hour ago, Taren23 said:

Hey, I just ran into this issue. The tech spent 4 hours making a tool to pull the stub. Broke the clip, and cleaned out the broken pieces in the front diff since GM stated there are none for replacement right now... Just waiting for the front diff to explode now.... 

Yeah, same thing with mine on the first go around. I don’t think the diff will explode but I do think wear is a concern. The worst thing that you really could have happen in my opinion is premature bearing wear from the shaft walking. Heat is a big factor with getting my front diff to make sounds...

2 minutes ago, Otherguy said:

Yeah, same thing with mine on the first go around. I don’t think the diff will explode but I do think wear is a concern. The worst thing that you really could have happen in my opinion is premature bearing wear from the shaft walking. Heat is a big factor with getting my front diff to make sounds...

I was just being slightly dramatic haha. Mine made the noises turning left / right and after 4WD disengagement. I will continue to test the "fix" hoping for the best. The dealership didn't really help me out with the work order. I had a three page work order that basically looks like I only had one visit...