2019 Silverado Backup Camera Problems

On 5/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, drewbiehd said:

Any update on this?

After playing phone tag with GM I finally spoke with the "senior advisor" in Michigan. She was seemingly disinterested honestly and offered no apology, rationale, or excuse. She merely said she was recording the conversation and taking notes. I made it explicitly clear that if there was any accident, injury, or death related to this backup camera not functioning properly that GM would be held grossly negligent...again I confirmed it was a recorded line and reiterated it several times. She said I could take it to another dealer if I wanted, but for what, there's no fix GM admitted that. Very very frustrating. I have GM a chance and even more of a kick in the b@//$ is the fact that my truck was built in Mexico!? I didnt realize this. The damn Tundra is built in the USA. Ughhh...

For those who have this issue, try this: after cranking up the engine wait 30 seconds before put it in the gears. Some issues were existed with HD cameras long ago and before latest updates. Still after 7000 miles and latest updates, if I put the truck in any gear and driving right after cranking up the engine, the beast starts doing weird things like playing all stations at the same time, blank monitors, crazy HUD,... 

It takes some time for the computer to boot up properly. Driving immediately, interrupts proper boot up. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, mikedeezxxx said:

I rarely even look at my back up camera. I just use my good old fashioned mirrors and or turn my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imagine paying for mirrors and they didn't work. Same concept - no excuses are acceptable from GM here.

Yeah but you don’t pay extra for the back up camera or mirrors. Comes with the truck stock. It’s a luxury. It just caters to lazy people who don’t want to look into there mirrors or turn there head. This is the first vehicle I’ve ever owned in my 40 years of life that even has a back up camera. I never even thought twice about (gosh, I wonder if a back up camera would really be beneficial to going in reverse for a short period of time, What would I ever do without one). Just my 2 cents. I’m sure there’s other people that would agree with me. Anyways, technology still sucks and as long as people rely on computerized technology, there will always be glitches.

6 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Yeah but you don’t pay extra for the back up camera or mirrors. Comes with the truck stock. It’s a luxury. It just caters to lazy people who don’t want to look into there mirrors or turn there head. This is the first vehicle I’ve ever owned in my 40 years of life that even has a back up camera. I never even thought twice about (gosh, I wonder if a back up camera would really be beneficial to going in reverse for a short period of time, What would I ever do without one). Just my 2 cents. I’m sure there’s other people that would agree with me. Anyways, technology still sucks and as long as people rely on computerized technology, there will always be glitches.

I don't agree with you. There is no way you can park this monster without back up camera and without hitting anything in tight spaces. Also, how will you hook your trailer without helping by someone else? The hitch view is amazing in this truck. Have you ever tried to back up in Costco or Walmart parking lots when two big trucks or SUVs parked at both sides of you, and pedestrians never cared while you were trying to back up?

Of course, using the camera only and not looking through the mirrors is risky because the camera doesn't cover everywhere. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AMPRG said:

I don't agree with you. There is no way you can park this monster without back up camera and without hitting anything in tight spaces. Also, how will you hook your trailer without helping by someone else? The hitch view is amazing in this truck. Have you ever tried to back up in Costco or Walmart parking lots when two big trucks or SUVs parked at both sides of you, and pedestrians never cared while you were trying to back up?

Of course, using the camera only and not looking through the mirrors is risky because the camera doesn't cover everywhere. 

Some exaggeration on both parts, no doubt. But, you hit the nail on the head. It is a very helpful tool - even if its just avoiding a scratch on your new truck sometimes.

It is a luxury item, and you DO pay for it, just because it doesn't list the individual price, it's in there. And it should work.

on another note, is there any way to adjust the fish-eye view to a more less-fish-eye view?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tanner709 said:

Some exaggeration on both parts, no doubt. But, you hit the nail on the head. It is a very helpful tool - even if its just avoiding a scratch on your new truck sometimes.

It is a luxury item, and you DO pay for it, just because it doesn't list the individual price, it's in there. And it should work.

on another note, is there any way to adjust the fish-eye view to a more less-fish-eye view?

There is no adjustment for the level of fish eye. But if it's more aggressive than the usual setup in some cases, it's just because of not waiting for proper computer boot up. There are some treads here about that. I believe the latest updates addressed some of the issues including the level of contrast. 

9 minutes ago, AMPRG said:

There is no adjustment for the level of fish eye. But if it's more aggressive than the usual setup in some cases, it's just because of not waiting for proper computer boot up. There are some treads here about that. I believe the latest updates addressed some of the issues including the level of contrast. 

ah yeah. I just read that in the forum. its unfortunate, its very hard to get used to coming out of a previous model.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Rearward visibility is required by law, it's not a "luxury".  It's a law because people have died.  There is no way you can see what's below behind your tailgate from inside the cab with just your mirrors and turning your head.  It's foolish to pretend you can.  It's foolish to pretend a camera right on the tailgate can't do better.  I don't doubt that you haven't thought twice about it, but I guess we have the law now so you don't have to think.

A buggy camera probably doesn't meet the standards of the law.  The law doesn't require a camera, it requires visibility of a specific area behind the vehicle.  Sounds like OP's camera does not provide the required visibility.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/31/nhtsa-rear-view-cameras/7114531/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rearward visibility is required by law, it's not a "luxury".  It's a law because people have died.  There is no way you can see what's below behind your tailgate from inside the cab with just your mirrors and turning your head.  It's foolish to pretend you can.  It's foolish to pretend a camera right on the tailgate can't do better.  I don't doubt that you haven't thought twice about it, but I guess we have the law now so you don't have to think.

A buggy camera probably doesn't meet the standards of the law.  The law doesn't require a camera, it requires visibility of a specific area behind the vehicle.  Sounds like OP's camera does not provide the required visibility.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/03/31/nhtsa-rear-view-cameras/7114531/

I think your missing my point. My point is that these big trucks have been around for quite a while without having backup cameras. We still managed to back in out of our driveways/parking spots without running anybody over or hitting something. It’s not the end of the world if your camera is not working. And I doubt that GM gives a crap either. And PS... I don’t even look at my backup camera ever as I feel it’s deceiving and I’m on a 6” lift with 35’s. I’d rather use my mirrors and turn my head. To each their own. Just giving my opinion and that’s all it is. And that law is stupid because it doesn’t fix the problem of bad drivers running people over or getting into accidents. I work at an collision shop and see the damage everyday. And guess what, all these cars/trucks have backup cameras.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been having problems with my radio/back up camera. My display goes black or gets stuck in a really dark mode. My back camera has lines through it. Especially when I hit the breaks. I have other people’s Bluetooth stuck on my screen as well and can’t be deleted/removed. They told me today they are going to replace the whole thing.

• Like 1