2019 Silverado Backup Camera Problems

I purchased a new 2019 Silverado Trail Boss on 4/26/19. When I got home, with approximately 20 miles on it, I went to backup in the driveway and the camera became "fuzzy" with lines through it every time I touched the brake pedal. So I tried backing up several times and it repeatedly got "fuzzy" with lines running through the screen. After being in reverse for about 30 seconds or so the screen went blank and an error message appeared "service rear vision system". Within a moment or so the camera came back on however the guidelines for backing up where not there. I tried tapping the screen and hitting the home button but the only thing that got the guidelines to come back was to shift into park or drive then back into reverse. I called GM and they said to bring it to the dealer. I went back to the dealer and was given a loaner (2019 Silverado not the Trail Boss but with the same base package). I noticed this truck did the same thing. The dealer was able to replicate the issue in my vehicle as well as in several other similar model vehicles but stated at this time everything seems to being working "normally for this vehicle" and no issues were found. I find this to be alarming especially with 4 kids who could be at risk if the camera shuts down while backing up. I emailed GM my concern and received a rather generic response so I contacted the NHTSA and filed a formal complaint as this is a major safety concern. It appears that there are postings online about this issue from as far back as 9/2018 but the only thing GM has done is issue TSB's without an actual resolution. The dealer stated the common denominator was the trim level with the "cheaper smaller screen" and that the upper trim models didn't seem to be having this same issue. It would be beneficial for anyone else having this problem to contact the NHTSA with a formal complaint so that GM is forced to fix the underlying problem before someone gets hurt or killed. I was nervous switching from a Toyota to GM and this is my first "American Truck" since 1994 so it's not starting off well but I do like the truck otherwise. Thanks.

Here is the link to file a complaint and the phone number to file a complaint is 1-888-327-4236

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Screenshot_20190426-233814_Video Editor.jpg

Thanks, I know that's what they said - the HD model is not having this issue it's just the "lower end" model screens!? The dealer said there is nothing they can do with it at this point though...any ideas for follow up action plan?

Same problem here. I didn't realize I wasn't getting the HD camera package when I bought the truck. Thought the 8" meant it was HD. It's bugging me to the point I was looking for a way to do a swap.

Edited by drewbiehd
  • Like 2

Here is where I am at so far with the issue:

Initially contacted GM they said to being the truck to the dealer.

Truck goes to the dealer who is able to replicate the issue on my truck and several others with the same trim. They say no fix available at this time.

Filed a complaint with NHTSA and opened a case.

Contacted GM again today and they said the issue will be escalated to a "senior advisor" and I will receive a call back by Monday.

I told GM and NHTSA this could turn into a fatal problem, having kids if I am backing up and the camera goes blank it could be catastrophic! I won't tolerate GMs disregard for safety. I was reluctant to go from Toyota to Chevy so I hope I don't regret this decision.

I would say for everyone to complain to GM and to NHTSA to get this resolved. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hey Jay. I purchased a 2019 Trail Boss as well and I'm having the same issue. Anytime I touch the brakes while backing up the camera cuts out. It's usually a white flash or solid white line but on 3 separate occasions now it's cut out completely to a black screen just like yours. I left it with the dealer all day today and they couldn't solve the problem. I spoke with a buddy of mine who has the same truck and he also has the same problem. Both trucks were purchased last month.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyler King said:

Hey Jay. I purchased a 2019 Trail Boss as well and I'm having the same issue. Anytime I touch the brakes while backing up the camera cuts out. It's usually a white flash or solid white line but on 3 separate occasions now it's cut out completely to a black screen just like yours. I left it with the dealer all day today and they couldn't solve the problem. I spoke with a buddy of mine who has the same truck and he also has the same problem. Both trucks were purchased last month.

It's frustrating, I was advised that screens having the issues are the non HD "cheaper" screens. The dealer said the upper level trim models do not have the issue. It would be good if everyone started filing complaints with GM by calling the 800-222-1020 number and contacting NHTSA 

https://www.nhtsa.gov and click report a problem or call them 1-888-327-4236

to file a complaint and they can sign you up for any recalls on your vehicle. Just have the VIN number and tell them the issue. Someone has to advocate for us this is a safety issue for sure. I will, depending on what they say next week, also file a complaint with the attorney general's office. I have kept a log of any interactions I have had. Let us know what happens if anything. Take care. 

Screenshot_20190426-233814_Video Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20190503-152720_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JayTrailBoss said:

Truck goes to the dealer who is able to replicate the issue on my truck and several others with the same trim. They say no fix available at this time.

Contacted GM again today and they said the issue will be escalated to a "senior advisor" and I will receive a call back by Monday.

I told GM and NHTSA this could turn into a fatal problem, having kids if I am backing up and the camera goes blank it could be catastrophic! I won't tolerate GMs disregard for safety. I was reluctant to go from Toyota to Chevy so I hope I don't regret this decision.

I would say for everyone to complain to GM and to NHTSA to get this resolved. Thanks. 

Complaint filed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 1:04 PM, JayTrailBoss said:

Any update on this?

I have the RST too, and my screen is 8". I think the lower trims have the 7".

So my 8" isn't HD? I haven't experienced that. Strangely though, I just rented a Chevrolet Equinox over the weekend and noticed that problem, even said "Service Rear Video System." Seems to be a GM issue.

7 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I have the RST too, and my screen is 8". I think the lower trims have the 7".

So my 8" isn't HD? I haven't experienced that. Strangely though, I just rented a Chevrolet Equinox over the weekend and noticed that problem, even said "Service Rear Video System." Seems to be a GM issue.

The 8” comes with both cameras. HD and non HD. The HD camera is an upgrade with the RST in Convenience II, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

The 8” comes with both cameras. HD and non HD. The HD camera is an upgrade with the RST in Convenience II, I believe. 

I looked it up, I do have the HD. Yes, you're right, Convenience II. I didn't know I had that in mine. I guess that's why I have that issue. I did in the rental car though.. I noticed the quality was quite a bit less than what I was accustomed to.