2019 Silverado Backup Camera Problems

17 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

We still managed to back in out of our driveways/parking spots without running anybody over or hitting something.

[...]

And that law is stupid because it doesn’t fix the problem of bad drivers running people over or getting into accidents. I work at an collision shop and see the damage everyday.

So... we don't have a problem running anybody over or hitting something.  But there's a problem of bad drivers running people over and getting into accidents.

17 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

And PS... I don’t even look at my backup camera ever as I feel it’s deceiving and I’m on a 6” lift with 35’s. I’d rather use my mirrors and turn my head.

I work at an collision shop and see the damage everyday. And guess what, all these cars/trucks have backup cameras.

So if I understand what you're saying, the damage is from drivers that don't use their backup cameras?

Thing is you're partially right.  The law doesn't fix the bad drivers that refuse to use everything at their disposal to avoid hitting people.  That includes turning their head, mirrors, and cameras.  You can't fix stupid.

The law does help the situations where good drivers who do look and use their mirrors accidentally hit something behind them they cannot see by just looking or using mirrors. 

Cameras do provide unrealistic and distorted views, that is true.  Mirrors also deceive btw.  They give reversed images, and convex/concave mirrors distort the image.

You've learned how to use mirrors but you refuse to learn how to use your camera.  Was that your point?

I appreciate all the input. The fact that my camera still is not functioning properly and the way GM has handled it (or not handled it) makes me even more concerned. I am on vacation but received a voicemail from GM that incriminated themselves by saying there is no current fix but if enough people complain GM might do something about it. Now I paraphrased the message but that's what he said. The next step is the attorney general's office. I suppose I keep taking it to the deal and file a claim under the lemon law and get out of this vehicle. I don't want to because I really like it but GM is not being very accommodating here. Also, I am utterly annoyed that my Trail Boss was built in Mexico. Nothing political here just I thought American trucks were built in America...frustrating

14 hours ago, mikedeezxxx said:

I think your missing my point. My point is that these big trucks have been around for quite a while without having backup cameras. We still managed to back in out of our driveways/parking spots without running anybody over or hitting something. It’s not the end of the world if your camera is not working. And I doubt that GM gives a crap either. And PS... I don’t even look at my backup camera ever as I feel it’s deceiving and I’m on a 6” lift with 35’s. I’d rather use my mirrors and turn my head. To each their own. Just giving my opinion and that’s all it is. And that law is stupid because it doesn’t fix the problem of bad drivers running people over or getting into accidents. I work at an collision shop and see the damage everyday. And guess what, all these cars/trucks have backup cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except if you pull up your brand new truck up next to a pickup from the 70's or earlier, you'll find today's trucks are significantly higher and wider.

And I have no idea how you see the child/object/trailer hitch by either turning your head or looking in your mirrors, when they are all directly behind the truck and below the height of the tailgate...

As well, more people are using trucks, in more situations which put things in that spot where you can't see by either turning your head or looking in your mirrors.

Edited by davester
  • Like 2

I drove a truck for UPS for 34 years. We only had backup cameras for the last half of my career. They are life savers.... No doubt. If you only rely on a backup camera when you back, you are asking for trouble. Nothing beats looking in the mirrors and keeping your head on a swivel the whole time you are moving. The way we were taught " If in doubt, get out and check it out." 

Too many times I watch people driving that are so focused on looking down the hood of their vehicle, with a death grip on their steering wheel. They are oblivious to anything else that is happening around them.

The least amt. of backing you can do is best. Its where the largest amt of accidents occur. If you must back, back first before parking while you are aware of traffic situation around you. Then you can pull out head first instead of backing into traffic.

All that to say you dont have to have a backup camera to be safe if you follow some basic driving techniques. Glad I have a camera but it is not a necessity.

Edited by Country Bumpkin
  • Like 1

So the US Government's NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) wants back-up cameras on all vehicles.  The manufacturers don't want to do it.  So NHTSA mandates it.  So in return, most of the manufacturers say screw-you-Feds and put in the crappiest backup cameras they can rig on anything less than the $1200-extra-HD-360 camera system only available as part of the ultra-luxury package on their the top models.  Sounds like GM spent all of 15 minutes and 50 cents rigging their cheap ones on the 'lower' models.  Can't say I'm really surprised.  There's a small article in the current issue of Car & Driver magazine about the discrepancy between the quality/usefulness of these 'cheaper' systems.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, JayTrailBoss said:

I appreciate all the input. The fact that my camera still is not functioning properly and the way GM has handled it (or not handled it) makes me even more concerned. I am on vacation but received a voicemail from GM that incriminated themselves by saying there is no current fix but if enough people complain GM might do something about it. Now I paraphrased the message but that's what he said. The next step is the attorney general's office. I suppose I keep taking it to the deal and file a claim under the lemon law and get out of this vehicle. I don't want to because I really like it but GM is not being very accommodating here. Also, I am utterly annoyed that my Trail Boss was built in Mexico. Nothing political here just I thought American trucks were built in America...frustrating

Damn, Jay, no disrespect, but if you think 'American' vehicles are all built in America, even under Trump (he is trying to get there), you haven't been paying much attention to vehicle manufacturing for the last 30 years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most safety features I like, such as backup cameras, antilock brakes. My last couple lawn mowers had a feature that shuts off blades backing up. The fist thing I disconnect, I mulch backing up. Soon they’ll jump the shark on our vehicles. I remember doing a clearing job on the side of a freeway. They made me put so many lights on the tractor it look like I was coming in for a landing. I saw so many near rear enders. I thought it would be better if they didn’t notice me.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, Thejet07 said:

I’ve been having problems with my radio/back up camera. My display goes black or gets stuck in a really dark mode. My back camera has lines through it. Especially when I hit the breaks. I have other people’s Bluetooth stuck on my screen as well and can’t be deleted/removed. They told me today they are going to replace the whole thing.

as far as i know they didn't come up with a fix yet for the camera as for other bluetooths they will drop off as you add more...i am still wait on the fix for the lines in camera when you hit the brakes or put on a signal light

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Damn, Jay, no disrespect, but if you think 'American' vehicles are all built in America, even under Trump (he is trying to get there), you haven't been paying much attention to vehicle manufacturing for the last 30 years.  

No, I wasn't under the impression that ALL American vehicles are built here but I did think the trucks were built here...my last truck was a 94 Ranger. It's amazes me that Tundra is built here yet the Chevy isn't...regardless it doesn't change the underlying lack of ingenuity and engineering reflected on "an American company"...sad actually, it's just the way the USA is going, not many hard working people left that actually care.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Country Bumpkin said:

I drove a truck for UPS for 34 years. We only had backup cameras for the last half of my career. They are life savers.... No doubt. If you only rely on a backup camera when you back, you are asking for trouble. Nothing beats looking in the mirrors and keeping your head on a swivel the whole time you are moving. The way we were taught " If in doubt, get out and check it out." 

Too many times I watch people driving that are so focused on looking down the hood of their vehicle, with a death grip on their steering wheel. They are oblivious to anything else that is happening around them.

The least amt. of backing you can do is best. Its where the largest amt of accidents occur. If you must back, back first before parking while you are aware of traffic situation around you. Then you can pull out head first instead of backing into traffic.

All that to say you dont have to have a backup camera to be safe if you follow some basic driving techniques. Glad I have a camera but it is not a necessity.

Funny, I worked on a rescue for 15 years and about 10 years ago a UPS truck backed up and hit a bicyclist...no backup camera on that truck. It's not the only method to backing up but it's a great tool. Kinda like can we make phone calls from our house sure but now everyone has a cell phone, it has become the standard/norm. 

2 hours ago, JayTrailBoss said:

Funny, I worked on a rescue for 15 years and about 10 years ago a UPS truck backed up and hit a bicyclist...no backup camera on that truck. It's not the only method to backing up but it's a great tool. Kinda like can we make phone calls from our house sure but now everyone has a cell phone, it has become the standard/norm. 

Never said it wasn’t a great tool. I said if all you rely on was a backup camera each time while backing, you are encouraging disaster. Accidents happen from time to time no matter how much care we use to avoid them. People do foolish things when not giving full attention to the activity at hand. UPS driver in that case was completely at fault for not clearing the space before backing even if the bicyclist wasn’t paying attention to his surroundings.

(And some of us still don’t have cell phones... never have owned one and never plan on owning one no matter how much my wife and family berate me over the fact. IMO, cell phones are like backup cameras. They are a convenience, not a necessity) 

Edited by Country Bumpkin

• 2 weeks later...

Having the exact same issues myself.

Also, when the screen isn't blurry, a line appears across the screen on the immediately depression of the brake. Seems like a power draw issue (im thinking either the brake system, or the power supply to the rear of the truck may be shared somehow) so it is either the lights or something that activates the lights that pull power away from the head unit.

• Like 1

Same crap kept happening with my Yukon, GM said normal and along with the transmission acting up, it’s now surrounded by Beemers in a BMW dealership. I’ve never had so many issues on any of my many vehicles until I started buying GM, I’m done with GM.

Sent from above

Same crap kept happening with my Yukon, GM said normal and along with the transmission acting up, it’s now surrounded by Beemers in a BMW dealership. I’ve never had so many issues on any of my many vehicles until I started buying GM, I’m done with GM.

Sent from above

Is the truck holding up or a new Raptor coming sooner rather than later?

• Like 2