2019 Silverado Backup Camera Problems

Is the truck holding up or a new Raptor coming sooner rather than later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, aside of a little transmission clunks I’m really enjoying my truck. To much put into it to just get rid of it. Right now it’s in the shop with 18k on it doing a preventative transmission flush. I told them it’s the only way to prevent trading it in for the Raptor, they didn’t like hearing that. I’m now realizing that I’m much more into the German Manufacturing then the GM but I need a truck for off-road and hog hunting

Sent from above
  • Like 1

is the clunking noise you hear when its down shifting, cause all my silverados did that 2010,2013,2016 and 2019 ..its normal as far as i know.

Correct but I’m driving a new 2019 loaded out loaner that doesn’t have any clunking at all as a matter of fact it’s very smooth shifting. One negative I noticed immediately is that my truck Lifted with the CST lift druves much smoother than this new 2wd and feels like a boat on handling, yuck! I’m missing my truck already

Sent from above

50 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Correct but I’m driving a new 2019 loaded out loaner that doesn’t have any clunking at all as a matter of fact it’s very smooth shifting. One negative I noticed immediately is that my truck Lifted with the CST lift druves much smoother than this new 2wd and feels like a boat on handling, yuck! I’m missing my truck already

Sent from above

Yeah they start clunking around 15000 mile after the drive train breaks in..

• Like 1

Yeah they start clunking around 15000 mile after the drive train breaks in..

And that’s why I’ll be done with GM for good as soon as I start having bad transmission issues like I’ve been hearing. so far minor once in a while soft clunks. I’ve also heard Raptor guys having issues with their drivetrains too. I’m thinking getting an older truck for Hog hunting and HomeDepot runs and hop back into the German side.

Sent from above

32 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

And that’s why I’ll be done with GM for good as soon as I start having bad transmission issues like I’ve been hearing. so far minor once in a while soft clunks. I’ve also heard Raptor guys having issues with their drivetrains too. I’m thinking getting an older truck for Hog hunting and HomeDepot runs and hop back into the German side.

Sent from above

Guys! This is a TRUCK! I don't get why everyone is so picky on this clunking thing! GM is the same manufacturer which makes Cadillac and smaller Chevy and GMC cars over 100 years, without clunking, the same as Ford. Now both GM and Ford are using the same transmissions. They both know how to make cars and their transmissions. They are not stupid to make durable trucks breaking fast. This clunking thing has been with these trucks in almost all past generations with automatic transmissions, when changed to 6-speed. It's very simple. These trucks have naturally aspirated 8 cylinder engines which oxygen intake depends solely on atmospheric pressure and does not rely on forced induction through a turbocharger or a supercharger. Therefore, they drop the rpm very fast when they come to stop. Also, the flywheel in these engines is very light compare to 4 or 6 cylinder engines. They have the flywheel just to engage the starter. Therefore, there is less inertia being saved in them when the car comes to stop in low speed in very low rpm. On the other side, all truck's inertia is transferring to the transmission from the rear end. During synchronization between the transmission and the engine in very low speeds, specially coming to stop, sometimes such clunking condition happens. It's getting better after couple of thousands miles when the computer learns your driving style, but it will never go away completely. This is my 4th Silverado. None of my past silverados (past 3 generations) had ever had any transmission issue because of clunking. 

By the way, this thread is for backup camera not for transmission clunking. They are other related threads that people are talking about it more in details. 

Guys! This is a TRUCK! I don't get why everyone is so picky on this clunking thing! GM is the same manufacturer which makes Cadillac and smaller Chevy and GMC cars over 100 years, without clunking, the same as Ford. Now both GM and Ford are using the same transmissions. They both know how to make cars and their transmissions. They are not stupid to make durable trucks breaking fast. This clunking thing has been with these trucks in almost all past generations with automatic transmissions, when changed to 6-speed. It's very simple. These trucks have naturally aspirated 8 cylinder engines which oxygen intake depends solely on atmospheric pressure and does not rely on forced induction through a turbocharger or a supercharger. Therefore, they drop the rpm very fast when they come to stop. Also, the flywheel in these engines is very light compare to 4 or 6 cylinder engines. They have the flywheel just to engage the starter. Therefore, there is less inertia being saved in them when the car comes to stop in low speed in very low rpm. On the other side, all truck's inertia is transferring to the transmission from the rear end. During synchronization between the transmission and the engine in very low speeds, specially coming to stop, sometimes such clunking condition happens. It's getting better after couple of thousands miles when the computer learns your driving style, but it will never go away completely. This is my 4th Silverado. None of my past silverados (past 3 generations) had ever had any transmission issue because of clunking. 
By the way, this thread is for backup camera not for transmission clunking. They are other related threads that people are talking about it more in details. 

Thanks for your input professor, my 12th plus truck and never have I ever felt or heard any clunking. Escalades, Yukon’s, lots of Fords and even a few garbage Dodge and most of all there’s a reason to why GM is facing an enormous Class Action lawsuit and not because it’s a TRUCK! Btw, the back up camera SUCKS in the 14-18 but really like the backup camera in the loaner 19 as well as the charging pad that actually works on the IPhones, that’s all and IMHO rest is generic.

Sent from above

Clunking trans has little to do with my backup camera on my trailer (maybe my camera doesn’t work because my trans has been perfect?).

I am going to push this issue with GM further. A super simple way to prove the truck is malfunctioning... unplug the trailer 7-wire plug and use a jumper with fuse between the 12v and parking terminals. The parking lights come on and the camera works perfectly... plug into truck and it flashes again.  I don’t care why I only care that it is broke and they need to fix it. 

• Like 1

Clunking trans has little to do with my backup camera on my trailer (maybe my camera doesn’t work because my trans has been perfect?).  

I am going to push this issue with GM further. A super simple way to prove the truck is malfunctioning... unplug the trailer 7-wire plug and use a jumper with fuse between the 12v and parking terminals. The parking lights come on and the camera works perfectly... plug into truck and it flashes again.  I don’t care why I only care that it is broke and they need to fix it. 

The backup camera in my 18 GMC SLT 1500 is expectable during the day but has horrible grainy resolution in the evening, installed really bright led backup lights and did help. Well, at least GM got the camera right in the 19’s, excellent clarity in day or night.

Sent from above

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

The backup camera in my 18 GMC SLT 1500 is expectable during the day but has horrible grainy resolution in the evening, installed really bright led backup lights and did help. Well, at least GM got the camera right in the 19’s, excellent clarity in day or night.

Sent from above

True story. The backup camera on the truck in my 19 is so good it immediately made me realize how terrible the video quality is on the trailer wireless camera... that said I still would like the trailers camera to work as it is nice to have as a way to check behind the trailer while on the road.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:24 AM, TXGREEK said:

Same crap kept happening with my Yukon, GM said normal and along with the transmission acting up, it’s now surrounded by Beemers in a BMW dealership. I’ve never had so many issues on any of my many vehicles until I started buying GM, I’m done with GM.

Sent from above

Yet you're so pathetic you devote your life to hanging out on a GM truck forum? If you are "done with GM" then GTFO.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 8:12 PM, TXGREEK said:

, the back up camera SUCKS in the 14-18

The 14-18 trucks were the first trucks to have a standard backup camera. What do you expect? If you buy a phone with the a brand exclusive feature available across the entire product line from cheapest to most expensive, it will almost always have a lower quality than the rest of the competitors that don't offer it standard until years later. Even now, 2019+ Ram 1500's with an HD backup camera are glitchy at best and at worst don't work at all. 

It's an issue, and it does need to be fixed. My 2016 didn't have this problem.

There isn't even a TSB for the bright at night yet. They have gone backwards IMO

• Like 2

Yet you're so pathetic you devote your life to hanging out on a GM truck forum? If you are "done with GM" then GTFO.

Don’t go hurting yourself there Honda, shouldn’t go attacking people for giving their personal experience on a GM product especially since Ive owned a great number of them and highly doubt you’ve ever spent enough on one like I have to make an educated enough guess to realize that the enormous class action law suit on GM is there for a reason and yet still pumping out same transmissions. My 18 6.2 is in the shop this very moment having preventative flushing and fluid changes done so I can keep it especially after pouring large amounts into personalizing it, so not done with GM yet but when I sure as hell will not be getting a Dodge but when I’ve had enough I’ll post it then I’ll leave you with your mess on wheels.

Sent from above

It's an issue, and it does need to be fixed. My 2016 didn't have this problem.

There isn't even a TSB for the bright at night yet. They have gone backwards IMO

Correct, best of all you go to the dealership and complain about something about that transmission clunking, slipping issue or camera quality getting worse and you’ll get a “cannot find or duplicate an issue” or “found to work to GM specs” sound like to me GM has definitely lowered their standards putting profit over reliability.

When an automobile manufacturer bailed out by the very customers it sells to knows they have issues in its manufacturing and yet purposely pushes out the product for sale, to me that’s disgusting and criminal offense and the added millions of dollars that consumers are having to spend in order to keep their product running is enough for me to BAD MOUTH anyone doing so. Guess this is why my wife and kids are driving brand new Beemers lol

Sent from above