2019 Silverado Backup Camera Problems

Will installing the HD camera fix this issue or do we need to get the screen also? Coming from a 2012 F150 with the reverse screen in the rear-view mirror and it was way better. We lost a family member in a vehicle reverse situation and I am very very cautious in the driveway with the car. This is garbage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, Recneps said:

Will installing the HD camera fix this issue or do we need to get the screen also? Coming from a 2012 F150 with the reverse screen in the rear-view mirror and it was way better. We lost a family member in a vehicle reverse situation and I am very very cautious in the driveway with the car. This is garbage.

I am wondering the same. Replacing the camera would actually be really easy "it looks like." Remove the tailgate flat bottom plastic cover and then from there you can remove the top plastic cover. Camera is held by 2 screws and uses a simple connector that you can pull right off and plug back in to the new hd cam.

Edited by batman900

So the dealer told me that I had the low def camera. I told him then I want have the high def one installed. He told me it could not be installed.

i would need to install an after market one. 

I was so mad I left. So I don’t know if an aftermarket one can be installed in place of the one already installed. 

I read on other forums that due to voltage you can’t just in stall one. 

• 3 months later...

I recently traded in a 2017 Silverado 1500 with a clear back up camera and got a 2020 Silverado LT Double Cab and the camera sucks at night very fuzzy, I spoke with the service Manager and all he had to say it was a low res camera and not a HD one like in my 2017. I am not happy with the answer and complained to the sales person and all she had to say was that's because I didn't get the higher end model which is a crap excuse if you ask me. Why would GM just put HD camera's in all their vehicles the cost can't be that big a difference.

20200520_224116.jpg

• 2 months later...

Anyone been able to get the “flickering” back up camera fixed? My dealer replaced my back up camera and it did not fix the issue. They started a tac case but GM has not responded.

Edited by Hackney

• 3 months later...

Hi Jay, any updates?

I do agree this unsafe, and for those who say we didn't have cameras back in the day. I tell them yeah we didn't have carseats either but I won't put my daughter in the back a station wagon amd raddle her around.. these inventions supposed to improve our life quality/safety. I notived mind at night is so bright and useless it even makes the back mirror hard to. I shouldn't have to cover my screen when backiing up at night. Going to bring it to the dealership and file a complaint with NHTSA if the dealer don't resolve it.  Honestly, if GM don't fix this and wait till someone run over their tuddler and GM have a big lawsuit.

Remeber the stupid key back in the early 2000s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

GM like to muder people before the acknowledge their stupidity

On 11/13/2020 at 6:38 AM, Moend said:

Hi Jay, any updates?

I do agree this unsafe, and for those who say we didn't have cameras back in the day. I tell them yeah we didn't have carseats either but I won't put my daughter in the back a station wagon amd raddle her around.. these inventions supposed to improve our life quality/safety. I notived mind at night is so bright and useless it even makes the back mirror hard to. I shouldn't have to cover my screen when backiing up at night. Going to bring it to the dealership and file a complaint with NHTSA if the dealer don't resolve it.  Honestly, if GM don't fix this and wait till someone run over their tuddler and GM have a big lawsuit.

Remeber the stupid key back in the early 2000s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

GM like to muder people before the acknowledge their stupidity

I thought there was a new TSB for the backup camera. You could try looking around the forum for a post on it. 

On 11/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Cpl_Punishment said:

I thought there was a new TSB for the backup camera. You could try looking around the forum for a post on it. 

Might as well post the tsb in this thread as well. It is quite an improvement.

20201029_170009.jpg

Edited by 19Sierra
  • Thanks 1