New to the 6.2l world- Have some Questions

2015 Sierra Denali with 6.2 and 8 speed.Lifted 2".

I have just over 70K miles and she runs great. No shifting issues except 2nd gear is rough once in a while. With 20inch tires, at 38lbs of air I get 20-24 mpg sustained average for a 150 mile trip on the highway at 75mph.

I've been reading all the issues with shocks, trannie, etc., and crossing fingers that I've avoided those due to all the recalls and notices having been done on the truck, including the trannie flushes.

The only issue I have is a crackling noise coming from somewhere near the windshield....heard above 65mph. I came from a 2004 Yukon XL with 5.3 and 4 sped. 219K miles towing 2 ton sail;boat across country multiple times. No issues on that vehicle at all! 

8 hours ago, videoarizona said:

2015 Sierra Denali with 6.2 and 8 speed.Lifted 2".

I have just over 70K miles and she runs great. No shifting issues except 2nd gear is rough once in a while. With 20inch tires, at 38lbs of air I get 20-24 mpg sustained average for a 150 mile trip on the highway at 75mph.

I've been reading all the issues with shocks, trannie, etc., and crossing fingers that I've avoided those due to all the recalls and notices having been done on the truck, including the trannie flushes.

The only issue I have is a crackling noise coming from somewhere near the windshield....heard above 65mph. I came from a 2004 Yukon XL with 5.3 and 4 sped. 219K miles towing 2 ton sail;boat across country multiple times. No issues on that vehicle at all! 

yeah, the only thing Ive noticed is trannie hard shifts- Going to get the fluid changed this weekend. Other than that shes a beast!

Outside of regular maintenance, If you like how it feels when you stand on the gas pedal, when it’s under normal driving conditions and if it breaks well I wouldn’t worry about the rest. 

Something can go wrong at any point wether it’s boosted, NA modified  or stock. You should just enjoy your truck and the mods it came with. 

• Like 2

My 2018 6.2 is an exceptional truck, lots of smiles per mile. It’s lifted, tuned and can easily do a burn out, great truck so far and expect many more years of reliability. These 6.2 trucks are known to go way past 200k miles but remember, don’t rag on it, everything has its limitations. I’d highly recommend doing Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series every 4-5K miles, it’s REAL 100% Synthetic and not that misleading BS Full Synthetic, also Wix Oil Filter that captures small as 20 microns #10255XP, Amsoil front and rear differential fluid change, Amsoil Transfer case fluid change which takes Transmission fluid. Change your Air filter, I use Wix 42487 and helps to change out your in cabin filter too.

Most people that have excellent experiences do not mention it on forums, I love my 6.2 SLT CrewCab Standard Bed, Z71 4x4, excellent truck. Only thing I’ve had done was the preventative transmission fluid swap at 20k miles. Good luck and baby her, reserved until you need it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just because I wouldn't have bought it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the truck.  It's your money.  You spend it any way you want.  Just a lot of warning signs for me.  Most guys that spend $3k or more (just a guess) on performance mods don't baby the vehicle.
I hope your right about her "show pony" status and that she serves you well for many miles.  

It could’ve just been someone’s daily driver/commuter which lived in the burbs. Lots of those in my part of town. Also, unless I missed something, being leveled with a tune doesn’t mean it’s been ragged on, mine was leveled then Lifted and tuned, spoiled rotten lol.

On 8/27/2019 at 3:29 PM, paracutin said:

Only 2 years old with 85,000 miles, tuned, mods... I'll bet the old girl has had the piss run out of her.  Unless I knew the previous owner I wouldn't have touched it.  But you did so we are passed that.

Change every fluid period.  Start saving for a trans rebuild.  Good luck.  I mean that.  

?‍♀️ 

hysterical to imagine the truck living a grueling life for 2 years, as if it’s so much worse than doing the same amount of miles over 10 years. A truck is not a horse lol.

42,500 miles a year = one possibility. A boatload of highway miles. And highway miles, on a per mileage basis (unlike horses), have less engine revolutions, less usage of interior, less usage of every single item on the truck except the revolutions of everything after the transmission. Even the suspension sees less since highways are almost always flatter on average.

59 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

?‍♀️ 

hysterical to imagine the truck living a grueling life for 2 years, as if it’s so much worse than doing the same amount of miles over 10 years. A truck is not a horse lol.

42,500 miles a year = one possibility. A boatload of highway miles. And highway miles, on a per mileage basis (unlike horses), have less engine revolutions, less usage of interior, less usage of every single item on the truck except the revolutions of everything after the transmission. Even the suspension sees less since highways are almost always flatter on average.

Or it was in a rental fleet.

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Also, unless I missed something, being leveled with a tune doesn’t mean it’s been ragged on, mine was leveled then Lifted and tuned, spoiled rotten lol.

Don't forget the headers.  
Headers, cat back and a tune all point to someone looking to get more performance.  Does that mean they ran it to death?  Nope.  That's why I said, and I genuinely mean it, that it all works out and he gets many trouble free years.

• Like 1

The OP said he was looking for a 15 year truck.  With that in mind, I would not have looked at anything that already has 85k on it unless you plan to put very few miles on it.  Let's say it makes it to 200k.  Starting at 85k that's only 7600 miles per year.  The national average is 12k-15k.

Nor would I have looked at anything tuned with performance accessories unless I knew the owner very well.  That's just me. 

I'll say it a third time... I hope everything works out and he has MANY trouble free years.  They are great trucks.  I love 'em,  you can tell from my signature.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, paracutin said:

The OP said he was looking for a 15 year truck.  With that in mind, I would not have looked at anything that already has 85k on it unless you plan to put very few miles on it.  Let's say it makes it to 200k.  Starting at 85k that's only 7600 miles per year.  The national average is 12k-15k.

Nor would I have looked at anything tuned with performance accessories unless I knew the owner very well.  That's just me. 

I'll say it a third time... I hope everything works out and he has MANY trouble free years.  They are great trucks.  I love 'em,  you can tell from my signature.  

Your opinion is fine, I was simply pointing out your specific inaccurate comments

If you are scared of high miles on newer cars its just because you never actually used logic to think about it the possible value.

Very new cars with absurdly high mileage can be smoking hot deals if you do a little due diligence.  This is easily verifiable on our trucks with the hour counter. Highway miles are so much easier on the life of the truck.

Your 200k mile figure is likely way off. A truck specifically used for cruising on the interstate could likely go 500k+ with no major issues.

If his truck actually has 85k of highway miles, it’s probably the equivalent of 30k miles with normal everyday usage.

Because not many people think about this, the market price of the truck drops dramatically and he could have gotten an amazing value. Actually the perfect vehicle to use long term and drive it to the ground since you don’t care all that much about the resale value and what that high number on the odometer does to it. 

Your opinion is fine, I was simply pointing out your specific inaccurate comments

If you are scared of high miles on newer cars its just because you never actually used logic to think about it the possible value.

Very new cars with absurdly high mileage can be smoking hot deals if you do a little due diligence.  This is easily verifiable on our trucks with the hour counter. Highway miles are so much easier on the life of the truck.

Your 200k mile figure is likely way off. A truck specifically used for cruising on the interstate could likely go 500k+ with no major issues.

If his truck actually has 85k of highway miles, it’s probably the equivalent of 30k miles with normal everyday usage.

Because not many people think about this, the market price of the truck drops dramatically and he could have gotten an amazing value. Actually the perfect vehicle to use long term and drive it to the ground since you don’t care all that much about the resale value and what that high number on the odometer does to it. 

Buying a high mileage vehicle definitely has its advantages and disadvantages, most positive as long as it’s of sound mechanical and though original owner put on lots of miles to some, it may have been bought and driven earlier year before. I wish OP a great experience and do keep us updated especially if you’ve got any questions. 6.2 ownership is a great ownership experience [emoji6]. Just keep it well maintained and it’ll last.

16 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

You are way off here buddy.  

My comments were my opinions and not subject to your definition of accuracy.

I am not scared of a higher mileage vehicle.  The MTBF for the timing chain on an L86 is 200,000 miles.  I'll find the article again and link it.  Logic states that my 200k mile figure is pretty damn accurate.  You pulled 500k out of your ass.  The percentage of vehicles (non diesel) with 200k miles is much higher than those with 500k.

As for value, I'm sure he did get a great deal.  The depreciation for mileage alone is $3,175 according to NADA.  

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I’m about 99% sure you will never find a 6.2 gm pickup in a rental fleet. Nobody rents a $50k plus msrp luxo 1500.

Maybe Turo, but that’s it

That's not accurate.  Hertz rents Porsche, Mercedes, Cadillac, Jag and Range Rover.  I did not see any high end pickups but they most certainly rent high end vehicles.

That's not accurate.  Hertz rents Porsche, Mercedes, Cadillac, Jag and Range Rover.  I did not see any high end pickups but they most certainly rent high end vehicles.

I’ve searched for the SLT 6.2’s and nope, haven’t found any but they definitely rent 1500’s. Think it’s costly over head considering they do rent dodge hemi’s which are far cheaper to purchase and maintain in their stock.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Yeah obviously lol, I just rented a $100k navigator in FL. And an $80k mercedes gls before that.

I clearly said nobody rents 6.2 pickups, why, because nobody rents a pickup unless they need to haul or tow something, and you don’t certainly don’t need a $50k msrp in a 1500 for that.

Thus the rental services do not offer them, thus what I said was accurate.