Hello Gang, This could be the start of a long story. It is a work in progress. Let's start at the beginning. Drove from Illinois to Arkansas to buy a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD Dually in Red.

Before even leaving the dealership they had to replace one of the drivers seat vibration sensors due to a dash warning light that came on after the test drive but before we were able to drive it off the lot so it happened in the service bay getting washed. NOT happy delayed our return visit by 45 minutes. Drove home just over 700 miles no issues at all just awesome ride all the way home.

A few weeks after we got her home wife notices some spots on the driveway under her new truck. So being the nice guy that I am I have my ASE Master Tech son crawl underneath to inspect it.

He says it's got multiple oil leaks, front of engine, rear of engine, and the rear cluster light under the tailgate is full of moisture. Scheduled an appointment and away we go. Got to the dealer and they had to order the rear cluster light no big deal. On with the oil leaks. The dealer claimed that the front seal was bad and needed to be replaced. they replaced the front seal got the truck back looked underneath and found the same oil leaks! Not only did I still have oil leaks but it was missing a bolt from the skid plate. Back to the dealer again. This time around they found the rear seal was bad. So GM told them to replace the oil pan. Great got the truck back and the next day had a low coolant light on. Back to the dealer again Filled up the overflow tank and away we went. Next day low coolant light back on so back to the dealer again. Refilled the overflow tank and we go home again. Took the truck camping for one week come back home crawl underneath to inspect it and start counting the oil leaks again. So let's go back to the dealer yet again. This time around they tell me the timing chain cover is leaking so they replaced it only too 10 days. Oh yeah they stripped out the bolt on the skid plate last time around. Picked the truck up the next day low coolant light on. Back to the dealer who swears that the mechanic filled it 3 times and it's full. So they fill it again and we go home next day the low coolant light is on again so back we go. No visible leaks and no odor whatsoever of coolant. So they fill it up again. Oh forgot to mention this time they cracked the gravel shield underneath so waiting on GM strike to be over to get that replaced. In the meantime the rear cluster light is full of moisture again and the dealer replaced it.

We love this truck but these oil leaks and low coolant lights are driving my wife crazy. She doesn't want to drive a loaner car she wants her truck. We checked the oil and it's fine no coolant that we can see. In the means time I'm waiting about a week before I crawl underneath and take more pictures of th4e oil leaks that they can't seem to find let alone fix. They have fixed some of the leaks so I guess that's progress. Sure hope this isn't indicative of future problems. I will post a follow up if and when the dealer can or can't fix the leaks.I will post some pictures when I get some time if I haven't already delted them from my phone.

Wow,  coolant loss and oil leaks?   Sounds like a lemon.  Someone asleep at the assembly line.   

Last few cars Ive bought I take a really powerful flashlight and spend several minutes on the pavement looking at the undercarriage.     There is a lot you can tell about the mechanical condition by checking out that.

One thing Ive noticed dealers do is they pressure wash everything, even the inside of the engine bay.   Once or twice maybe no big deal, but the engine bays are not designed to get soaked with high volumes of water!

Yes I'm leaning towards a LEMON. Based on the number of times the dealer had tried to fix the numerous oil leaks let alone the mystery coolant loss. Yet again yesterday I went to the dealer when then refilled the coolant. Drove it home 6 miles and parked it in the driveway. Wife left to go to the airport several hours later and the low coolant light is on AGAIN!!!!! WTF. This is crazy.

The dealer says the mechanic is too big to get his hands in certain places, well that's not my problem. Oh BTW they put pliers on the coolant cap because they didn't know it is reverse threads so they had to replace the cap. I will try and upload some pictures later.

Here is a sample of the leaks that I've been having on this truck. So right now it looks like they might have fixed the rear engine leak. That's it as far as I can see. I will update again when the weather clears up and I can get back under the truck.

oil filter adapter.jpg

oil pan.jpg

trans cooler lines.jpg

fan shroud bottom.jpg

rear engine leak.jpg

Wow..You’ve been more than patient.  You need to find a new dealer that has competent techs...Pliers on the coolant cap, hands too big so just skip things, multiple trips filling coolant and sending you on your way even though it’s not leaking, not to mention multiple trips for oil leaks...Terrible service department to say the least.

• Like 1

Wow..You’ve been more than patient.  You need to find a new dealer that has competent techs...Pliers on the coolant cap, hands too big so just skip things, multiple trips filling coolant and sending you on your way even though it’s not leaking, not to mention multiple trips for oil leaks...Terrible service department to say the least.

Yep!

I would lemon the truck out then find a new dealer after I got a new truck. No way in hell I would do anything else. That dealer screwed up your truck and you will be dealing with all the issues they caused for as long as you own it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

OK new update, Reached out to GM and now have a case number. Have yet to actually speak to the rep on exactly what's going on, playing phone tag right now. Update called dealer on Monday to schedule an appointment for service repairs. He once again asked if I received a call telling me the parts are in and I said nope. He said he would check and call me back which he did and surprise the parts are sitting there NO CALL!. Dropped off truck today. Asked the service manager what work was going to be preformed. We last discussed the upper oil pan and something else I don't recall. At any rate now they will replace the gravel guard that they broke the second time the had the truck back in july I think, 3rd or forth time for the rear cluster light that's full of moisture and to fix the oil leaks..... Well now they are going to replace"Freeze plugs" when I questioned him on that he said really they are oil passage plugs not freeze plugs per the GM engineers. Told him the low coolant light is coming on every morning and he just looked like yeah so, Still not at all impressed with this dealer. Waiting to connect with GM and get the truck back to see if they fixed anything let alone the oil leaks. Oh forgot to mention I am due a refund due to be double charged for the wheels per the recall. Dealer said GM would issue a check and I told him Dealer should issue a check so this is going to be a battle. Still waiting on the block heater recall dealer is telling me it's marked closed but I never got it fixed so once again communication is broken @GM. I will post an update when the truck comes back to me until then.

Edited by spudbudy
misspelled words

From posts here and other forums, I wonder if they are dealing with the block heater issue with two notices/recalls.

First one, a safety recall, for the heater disable.

A 2nd one, for the repair campaign, not getting opened/issued until parts are assigned to the dealers area. 

The rear window defroster was done with 2 notices.

Safety 'recall' to disable it.

Later (now) 'customer satisfaction campaign' with a different number, to install revised parts and re-enable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is my story for what it's worth. Dropped off truck a week ago after making an appointment. 4 days later they called to say they hadn't got to it yet.???WTF Dealer only has one rack that our truck fits on. Got a call from GM the following Monday telling me truck would be done that day and he would call back later in the week. Dealer called later that day saying truck would NOT be ready due to the oil filter housing adapter that had to be replaced they needed to pull the water pump to replace the adapter. Got called on wednesday from GM asking how the truck was told him dealer just called to pick it up, but no paperwork would be provided due to the nightmare of the Bright wheel recall. Wife went to pick up truck and the low coolant light was on. So back into the dealership for a 1/2 hour to purge/vacuum out the system and filled the coolant and away she went. Started truck on Thursday low coolant light on yet again so back to the dealer for a top off of coolant. Started truck today low coolant light on again. Back we go to the dealer for them to perform another vacuum of the system and top it off. Picked up all the paperwork and surprise a check for $795 for the Bright wheel recall. Progress at last. Still no idea if any of the oil leaks have actually been fixed or just changing out more parts. Will climb back under it this weekend to take a look see. Confidence is low.

Quick recap parts replaced to date

Timing chain cover

Front main seal

Oil pan

Rear main Seal

oil passage plug

Oil filter adapter housing

Gravel shield-Broken by dealer

Could be more not sure anymore, so tired of all of this.

Yes I agree about that, Wife really loves the truck. The dealer is not refusing to fix it just doesn't seem able to find the source of all of the oil and coolant leaks. There is no mechanical issues with the truck just leaks. If anything after all of this the truck should not have any leaks for a very long time. That's providing they can fix them all. Fingers crossed they get it right.

2 hours ago, spudbudy said:

There is no mechanical issues with the truck just leaks.

Yet ! I would be VERY concerned about the coolant leak. There is no such a thing as a coolant monster. It's got to be going somewhere ! If it's going into the engine the life of the engine is being DRASTICALLY reduced !