You have 37k to buy a new truck, what do you buy?

ero2

Hey all!  I’ve been researching till I can’t see straight and am at an impasse.  I can currently get a trail boss crew cab 4x4 with the 5.3, SLE or an Elevation with current rebates...or any other brand on the market In that range, to be honest.  Based on what I’ve found all companies besides Toyota are currently facing all kinds of recalls, quality control issues, and I’m wary across the board of even buying a truck, the more I read.  I’ve contemplated going the SUV route but just love having a truck for more reasons than I can list.

Needs:

decent mileage (Currently have a 2016 f150 with the 2.7 and am happy, a small reduction is good)

4x4

crew cab

rear vents

seat heaters are a plus but not mandatory

in the words of my wife “must last till you die because no more trucks for a while”

So...if you were shopping today, with that budget and those needs, what would YOU buy?

• Like 1

What location are you at?  If you are near any of these dealers are having pretty good sales right now.  Laura Buick GMC in Collinsville Illinois also Dave Sinclair in South county in St louis Mo.  11 to 12 thousand off price.

Customs are just too stripped on the inside IMO. Especially when you can get an LT/RST/SLE/ELEVATION for that price range. Probably the best value around. 

Most will have heated seats and steering wheel, push button start, power seat, and so on. Unless loaded up near the top, many trucks in those trim levels also will NOT have the power sliding rear window. As you probably know, that has been the most widespread problem on these trucks as I see it.

If you’re current truck is trouble free I’d stay with it. It’s pretty much luck of the draw reliability wise right now. If I was in the market, Toyota would be my choice. The reason as you stated there hasn’t been major changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

If you’re current truck is trouble free I’d stay with it. It’s pretty much luck of the draw reliability wise right now. If I was in the market, Toyota would be my choice. The reason as you stated there hasn’t been major changes.

I looked hard at GM and Ford trucks, still haven’t bought one. I can’t shake the feeling that all of these new trucks aren’t going to last even 150k miles without major repairs and trips back to the dealer. They seem designed for you to trade it in for a new one every few years. If you do that, drive any of em...it doesn’t matter.  It if you want to buy one, pay it off, and drive it till the wheels fall off, the only one that seems like it could last you 300k miles and 15-20 years is the Tundra. This is exactly because it’s a 13 year old design. It gets abysmal fuel economy (13 city/17 hwy), but according to Edmunds, it has a lower 5-year cost to own than any other half ton. I think people overestimate how much fuel factors into the cost to own a truck. 

AC05146B-5E53-40D7-8BEE-FB72A41609F4.thumb.jpeg.608a96dbaf8dbe9153d0b40e0df373bc.jpeg

• Like 4

Tundra meets all your requirements except for the fuel economy. That would be my first choice.

My second choice would be a used K2 with the 5.3L V8 and the 6 speed, though I don't think it has rear vents and you'd have to be sure to find one that doesn't shake. 

If I were buying a T1, I'd probably go with an SLE or an Elevation. I prefer the look of the Elevation and you can't get bucket seats in an SLE but if you don't mind chrome, you can get an SLT for what they want for an Elevation. If you do go for a T1, regardless of what you get, make sure you get the 10 speed transmission and DON'T get Convenience Package 2, which includes the sliding rear window that leaks. 

Ram is the least reliable and was redesigned at the same time as the GM twins. Ford hasn't been redesigned in 5 years and still has dozens of recalls every year. Nissan Titan has the same fuel economy and capability of the Tundra with reliability like Ram and Ford. I wouldn't even consider any of those three. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chebby said:

I looked hard at GM and Ford trucks, still haven’t bought one. I can’t shake the feeling that all of these new trucks aren’t going to last even 150k miles without major repairs and trips back to the dealer. They seem designed for you to trade it in for a new one every few years. If you do that, drive any of em...it doesn’t matter.  It if you want to buy one, pay it off, and drive it till the wheels fall off, the only one that seems like it could last you 300k miles and 15-20 years is the Tundra. This is exactly because it’s a 13 year old design. It gets abysmal fuel economy (13 city/17 hwy), but according to Edmunds, it has a lower 5-year cost to own than any other half ton. I think people overestimate how much fuel factors into the cost to own a truck. 

AC05146B-5E53-40D7-8BEE-FB72A41609F4.thumb.jpeg.608a96dbaf8dbe9153d0b40e0df373bc.jpeg

By my math, as long as my $45k CAD Tundra SR5 averages better than 23 L/100 km, I come out ahead vs buying a $65k CAD Elevation. That's assuming I'd get the highway mileage of 10L/100 km in the Sierra 100% of the time, I drive 10k kms per year (which would be lot for me), $1/litre fuel costs on average and I keep the truck for 15 years. 

• Like 1

I second the Tundra. And it was just announced that the production of the redesigned tundra won’t be until 2022 so you can drive it for two years without it looking “old” (even though they’ve been around forever). By then the f150 will probably be redesigned and the gm twins will probably get a slight facelift as well.

I have a new 2019 Denali and I may be in the minority here but I wish I could go back to my 2014. Currently looking for ways to get out of my new truck. I bought a new truck to simplify my life and it has done anything but that. Strongly considering Toyota and Ram at this point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

I second the Tundra. And it was just announced that the production of the redesigned tundra won’t be until 2022 so you can drive it for two years without it looking “old” (even though they’ve been around forever). By then the f150 will probably be redesigned and the gm twins will probably get a slight facelift as well.

I have a new 2019 Denali and I may be in the minority here but I wish I could go back to my 2014. Currently looking for ways to get out of my new truck. I bought a new truck to simplify my life and it has done anything but that. Strongly considering Toyota and Ram at this point.

With no disrespect, I doubt owning a Ram would simplify your life. 

• Like 2

With no disrespect, I doubt owning a Ram would simplify your life. 

None taken at all and that is totally fair! I tend to agree with you as well. Might hang onto this one and swap it for a 2021 gm 6.2 10 speed once they get all (most) of the problems sorted out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elcamino said:

the custom trucks look nice but damn, they have like 0 options. Not sure why so many people buy them. All it is is a work truck with nice wheels and grill on it. 

Edited by spizike9
  • Like 1