Help a brother out, level kit.

Ok guys, this is my first GMC Sierra and its a 2020 1500 SLT 6.2l 4x4 crew cab. I want to get a little more height to go a little bigger on the tires. I have been researching and researching I think I will go coilovers when a good pair comes out, but everywhere I read, and I don't know if its just the generic answer they give, says with a 2"-3" level you can fit the "bigger sized" 33" tire. Well from what I can tell the 275/60/R20 that comes on my truck is a 33" tire. So where are they, or am I getting things all mixed up here. I would like to run the, 2"-3" level and put on the factory 20's a set of something like 285/60/R20 and that from what I can figure it about a 34" tire. Anyone have a leveling to 3" kit on there truck that they can give feedback as to what size tire you are running? Looking for your help as I am hoping to get this done relatively soon. Thanks in advance guys..Hope to get some good readings out of this.

Ok guys, this is my first GMC Sierra and its a 2020 1500 SLT 6.2l 4x4 crew cab. I want to get a little more height to go a little bigger on the tires. I have been researching and researching I think I will go coilovers when a good pair comes out, but everywhere I read, and I don't know if its just the generic answer they give, says with a 2"-3" level you can fit the "bigger sized" 33" tire. Well from what I can tell the 275/60/R20 that comes on my truck is a 33" tire. So where are they, or am I getting things all mixed up here. I would like to run the, 2"-3" level and put on the factory 20's a set of something like 285/60/R20 and that from what I can figure it about a 34" tire. Anyone have a leveling to 3" kit on there truck that they can give feedback as to what size tire you are running? Looking for your help as I am hoping to get this done relatively soon. Thanks in advance guys..Hope to get some good readings out of this.

Speaking from experience, Leveling out your truck will not only add more stress on your front suspension, it’ll ride like poopoo and especially with larger heavier tires. Save your money and buy a lift. You’ll be able to lift using your original wheels and get tire size you want without the crappy ride quality.

Don’t rush into it, take your time, save up for the real thing, CST lifts are my favorite and you can do a small lift without going high, you’ll absolutely love your truck with a “Quality” lift.

Good luck!

Sent from Above
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Speaking from experience, Leveling out your truck will not only add more stress on your front suspension, it’ll ride like poopoo and especially with larger heavier tires. Save your money and buy a lift. You’ll be able to lift using your original wheels and get tire size you want without the crappy ride quality.

Don’t rush into it, take your time, save up for the real thing, CST lifts are my favorite and you can do a small lift without going high, you’ll absolutely love your truck with a “Quality” lift.

Good luck!

Sent from Above

Thank you very much. You think the ride will be poopoo and the stress even if I opt for something like the ICON stage 2 coil overs? With the adjustable coil over and the nice aluminum UCA’s?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Londart2020 said:

Thank you very much. You think the ride will be poopoo and the stress even if I opt for something like the ICON stage 2 coil overs? With the adjustable coil over and the nice aluminum UCA’s?

No it will ride well with that set up. What Greek is eluding to is the spacer lifts (which really doesn't change the ride at all unless it is a preload type but will change the bottom out point of the suspension which impacts ride on larger bumps) as well as larger tires which usually require going to an E load tire versus the standard P rated factory tire which rides much stiffer. Your set up would be a good one and if you can stay in a P or C load rating should ride well. There certainly are other factors that come in to play but where Greek has a big 5" suspension lift many people don't like going that high which can also mean not fitting in to certain parking garages or your own garage.

If you tow or haul at all add an inch taller block in back to keep some rake for when you are doing either of those and also don't forget to adjust your headlights down so you aren't blinding other...

Tyler

No it will ride well with that set up. What Greek is eluding to is the spacer lifts (which really doesn't change the ride at all unless it is a preload type but will change the bottom out point of the suspension which impacts ride on larger bumps) as well as larger tires which usually require going to an E load tire versus the standard P rated factory tire which rides much stiffer. Your set up would be a good one and if you can stay in a P or C load rating should ride well. There certainly are other factors that come in to play but where Greek has a big 5" suspension lift many people don't like going that high which can also mean not fitting in to certain parking garages or your own garage.

If you tow or haul at all add an inch taller block in back to keep some rake for when you are doing either of those and also don't forget to adjust your headlights down so you aren't blinding other...

Tyler

I’ve already had the leveled truck, messes with your angles and rides like crap. Coil overs that add 2.5” height will ride smoother but even with new UCA’s you’re still bad angles on your CV’s and LCA’s to say the least.

I agree on height isn’t for everyone but going 4.5” from stock is only approximately 2” taller than the 2.5” everyone is looking to do. Lifting with Diff drop is the best, stock like angles etc. depending on wheel size he may just be left with E rated tire options. Even with lighter walled tires, the issue is also the weight of the tires.

The truth is as I’ve already stated, leveling gives a rougher ride and messes with your CA’s, Lifting gives a much better ride with ZERO angle issues and even with my 4.5”-5” CST Lift, I’ve never had a problem driving into any new or old parking garages. I’ve got at the least 3.5” -4.5” distance left from my shark fin to the entry of my home garage.

Sent from Above

was your level with coilover or spacer b4 the CST?

coilover level should ride better than stock, long as you dont adjust them too high.....lift kits dont drop the diff back to stock height do they?..my understanding is they only drop it an inch or so which still wouldn't be back to factory if you lift 4-6 inches, but a lot better than not having any....essentially the angles would still be compromised a bit but most say 2" is nothing to worry about....

everyone who has done coilover levels or "lifts" say much improved over stock, its puck spacers I hear most complaints about

Edited by Dunn

was your level with coilover or spacer b4 the CST?

coilover level should ride better than stock, long as you dont adjust them too high.....lift kits dont drop the diff back to stock height do they?..my understanding is they only drop it an inch or so which still wouldn't be back to factory if you lift 4-6 inches, but a lot better than not having any....essentially the angles would still be compromised a bit but most say 2" is nothing to worry about....

everyone who has done coilover levels or "lifts" say much improved over stock, its puck spacers I hear most complaints about

That’s a negative! A differential drop keeps it stock angles. I’ve had zero issues with lifted trucks and SUVs, all had straight angles because leveling doesn’t drop the differential and this is why you can put coil overs which isn’t “as bad” as blocked leveled but still throws off your angles. You guys can do whatever your hearts content but there’s an enormous ride difference between leveled with or without coil overs and lifted differential drop with stock angles.

Coil overs definitely help smoothen out but you’ll still have off angles of travel and with other components other than new UCA’s.

Good luck OP!

Sent from Above

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s a negative! A differential drop keeps it stock angles. I’ve had zero issues with lifted trucks and SUVs, all had straight angles because leveling doesn’t drop the differential and this is why you can put coil overs which isn’t “as bad” as blocked leveled but still throws off your angles. You guys can do whatever your hearts content but there’s an enormous ride difference between leveled with or without coil overs and lifted differential drop with stock angles.

Coil overs definitely help smoothen out but you’ll still have off angles of travel and with other components other than new UCA’s.

Good luck OP!

Sent from Above

I wanna do it right, and only do it once. I would love to hit the happy medium of the 4" lifted, but I have yet to see a 4" kit for the new body style. So I guess I will just wait it out until a reputable company puts one out. I have seen a few but they all say they are only for the AT4 or the TB, which is weird as the come with the factory level, you would think they would be shooting for the non AT4 owners first. I understand what you are saying about the CV angles I just didn't think only going 2"-3" with coilovers would be "that bad."

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Londart2020 said:

I would love to hit the happy medium of the 4" lifted, but I have yet to see a 4" kit for the new body style.

ReadyLift has their 4" SST lift.  I had it, took it off, and now have the 2" GM "Trail Boss" lift.

Also, the AT4 and Trail Boss doesn't have a "factory level"....it is a lift....and in fact the rake is more pronounced with it than without.  See my before and after pics on here.

I am going to install the RC 1.5" leveling kit and call it a day.  With some Ridge Grapplers and stock wheels.  Truck will look fantastic and I will be happy.

• Like 1

I wanna do it right, and only do it once. I would love to hit the happy medium of the 4" lifted, but I have yet to see a 4" kit for the new body style. So I guess I will just wait it out until a reputable company puts one out. I have seen a few but they all say they are only for the AT4 or the TB, which is weird as the come with the factory level, you would think they would be shooting for the non AT4 owners first. I understand what you are saying about the CV angles I just didn't think only going 2"-3" with coilovers would be "that bad."

I’m with you, but just 2.25” messed with all angles. You’ll find many on here that’ll swear they’re all good leveled even at 3” and later find the same AHoles on another site bitching and complaining on having to replace suspension parts, sort of helping them not feel bad. But, you’re absolutely correct, cry once do it right or cry a whole lot doing it just for the look.

Sent from Above

ReadyLift has their 4" SST lift.  I had it, took it off, and now have the 2" GM "Trail Boss" lift.

Also, the AT4 and Trail Boss doesn't have a "factory level"....it is a lift....and in fact the rake is more pronounced with it than without.  See my before and after pics on here.

I am going to install the RC 1.5" leveling kit and call it a day.  With some Ridge Grapplers and stock wheels.  Truck will look fantastic and I will be happy.

Post pics!

Sent from Above