Help a brother out, level kit.

The ReadyLift 4" is $800 but I was not comfortable with that much lift without longer CVs.  They included new UCAs but no CVs.  GM kit includes new CVs but no UCAs.  

I took the ReadyLift off and got a refund because it was making noises and vibrations I wasn't warm and fuzzy about.

Factory lift kit is nice and refined (AND WARRANTIED BY GM!) and zero issues.  I just want to bring the front up level with the rear.  Sadly, that involves complete front-end disassembly to remove the struts and install spacers on them so it's like paying twice for same labor.

Edited by lapoolboy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Yes, the top pic is how it currently sits with the 2" factory Trail Boss lift kit.....2" in front, 2" in rear

you gotten any input from a tire place as to what size Ridge Grappler you can go with on the stock wheels?

I agree with TX, I have had a few level kits in the past, including my current 6.2L and all they do it stretch out your suspension, so your control arm angles are much more severe, leading to a rougher initial bump in the front end because of your new steep control arm angles. I always had the dealer install them, but my brother bought one when he got his 2018 F150 and I helped him put it in. When the front suspension unloads or rebounds fully, the UCA is only 1/8" away from making contact with the strut spring. This means if you bought a set of coilovers for the front, if the coil spring is just 1/8" wider than the OEM spring it would contact the UCA, I know, many coilovers use the OEM spring but some dont. Very sketchy setup in my opinion after seeing how it all worked after. I know personally I will put a small 3-4" suspension lift on my next truck to keep proper geometry. 

Does my truck ride rough, no not at all in fact many people compliment the ride which is amazing considering a levelled truck on 20's with ranchos and 10 plies. Very solid on the road, some people like that others don't. The only noticeable time it feels rougher than stock is going over sharp bumps like speedbumps. You would be fine with a level but if you can afford a lift, that is the way to go. 

• Like 1

If I put the Bilstein ride height adjustable shocks on (when they are released), am I potentially looking at some of the same issues with level kits that are being discussed?

I would assume not, but asking just for clarity.

Edited by vancealot29

Guys, the level kit I have going on Thursday is just a small preload spacer to get the 1.5".  This is done within the length of the strut and no length is added to the strut assembly.  Yes, the control arms will sit at a more downward angle to get the 1.5" I need to level, but the range of motion of the control arms is still within the physical limits of the suspension as designed by GM.  Now, the horseshoe style spacers that go under the lower strut mount DO increase the overall length of the strut and have the potential to push the suspension outside of its intended range.

Simply modifying preload is not going to suddenly cause balljoints or CVs to fail.....it is all designed to work within the full range of motion the suspension could experience from full compression to full droop.  All it will do is "firm" up the feel of the front since the spring rate is now modified.  Make sense?

1 hour ago, lapoolboy said:

Guys, the level kit I have going on Thursday is just a small preload spacer to get the 1.5".  This is done within the length of the strut and no length is added to the strut assembly.  Yes, the control arms will sit at a more downward angle to get the 1.5" I need to level, but the range of motion of the control arms is still within the physical limits of the suspension as designed by GM.  Now, the horseshoe style spacers that go under the lower strut mount DO increase the overall length of the strut and have the potential to push the suspension outside of its intended range.

Simply modifying preload is not going to suddenly cause balljoints or CVs to fail.....it is all designed to work within the full range of motion the suspension could experience from full compression to full droop.  All it will do is "firm" up the feel of the front since the spring rate is now modified.  Make sense?

Yes, and No...what is the difference? If you add 1.5" does having on the top of the strut mean there if less overall change in the angles? If so how do they both achieve 1.5" of lift? Whether you are making the bottom push up or the top push down you are still going to change the CV angle the same amount are you not?

If I’m not mistaken, the factory gm lift that can be installed on non trail boss/ at4, is basically taller struts and longer cv axles. Don’t think it comes with new uca or ball joints. So if this is the case, wouldn’t you end up with the same ball joint angles and droop as with a regular level kit.  Maybe they they allowed more tolerances for this reason. I have a 2” level and the bj angles don’t look too bad.

Edited by AD80

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, Londart2020 said:

Ok guys, this is my first GMC Sierra and its a 2020 1500 SLT 6.2l 4x4 crew cab. I want to get a little more height to go a little bigger on the tires. I have been researching and researching I think I will go coilovers when a good pair comes out, but everywhere I read, and I don't know if its just the generic answer they give, says with a 2"-3" level you can fit the "bigger sized" 33" tire. Well from what I can tell the 275/60/R20 that comes on my truck is a 33" tire. So where are they, or am I getting things all mixed up here. I would like to run the, 2"-3" level and put on the factory 20's a set of something like 285/60/R20 and that from what I can figure it about a 34" tire. Anyone have a leveling to 3" kit on there truck that they can give feedback as to what size tire you are running? Looking for your help as I am hoping to get this done relatively soon. Thanks in advance guys..Hope to get some good readings out of this.

I have the king 3.0 internal bypass coil overs with 3.0 internal bypass rear shocks and 35 inch tires

CAD57125-7650-4087-A9AB-08255BE88F77.png

2 minutes ago, Luckyfd said:

I have the king 3.0 internal bypass coil overs with 3.0 internal bypass rear shocks and 35 inch tires

CAD57125-7650-4087-A9AB-08255BE88F77.png

You just have the coil overs and shocks? You don't think you need the UCA's