When will i need new torque converter/stall

So I have heard that I should look into changing my torque converter or stall. Can someone help me better understand what that is and why I need to change it? Also, maybe some recommendations. They are telling me this because I just got the truck 2 weeks ago but hopefully by next month ill have Intake, Headers, E85 and a street tune. Can't justify a throttle body or intake manifold, change my mind? lol. But I am new to all of this and they are saying maybe a 3200 stall will be good? no clue. TIA!!! Also, can someone point me in the right direction for info on drive shafts and when I need one.

So it's not going out but the people you talked to told you.  You need to get a new converter for basic bolt-ons.

If that's true you need to talk to new people!!!!

I have all that plus a cam and heads and still use the stock converter.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JONBLARC7 said:

So it's not going out but the people you talked to told you.  You need to get a new converter for basic bolt-ons.

If that's true you need to talk to new people!!!!

I have all that plus a cam and heads and still use the stock converter.  

What are your numbers with that setup? Did you need a new driveshaft? I heard they can blow if you go over 100? 

I think it’s more in the 120 range but yes they do go out.  But with my tires I wouldn’t go 120.

No numbers because it was remote tuned for the cam.  Then I added headers intake and Wideband later and made the adjustments my self.  It runs good though,  my wife has a Scat Pack Charger with the 6.4.  I raced her to 70 the other day only Launching in 2wd and had her by a truck until we let out.  That’s with 33 mud tires and 22x12 rims.

Edited by JONBLARC7

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, acguy2 said:

The root cause of these transmission failures IS the made in mexico converter failing and putting metal in the pumps and it turns to a grenade.

Really? Problem is in the design, not where it's made. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 11:52 AM, acguy2 said:

The root cause of these transmission failures IS the made in mexico converter failing and putting metal in the pumps and it turns to a grenade.

On 10/1/2020 at 1:15 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Really? Problem is in the design, not where it's made. 

Yep.  Grumpy got that right.  Mexico has nothing to do with it, rather GM's choice of converter design.  They can make them in the USA, still a design choice flaw.  

Have a read: https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/845-6l80-6l90-transmission-tech-advisory-consider-an-updated-converter-in-your-next-rebuild

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, newdude said:

Yep.  Grumpy got that right.  Mexico has nothing to do with it, rather GM's choice of converter design.  They can make them in the USA, still a design choice flaw.  

Have a read: https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/845-6l80-6l90-transmission-tech-advisory-consider-an-updated-converter-in-your-next-rebuild

???