Block Heater

What about disconnecting the block heater/cutting power about 15-20 min before you start it up in temps above 0?  That way the coolant will still be warm and you will get warm air, but it won't be too hot to set the check engine light?  I've yet to encounter the check engine light issue on the 6.6s, even when running the block heater in temps between 30-45 degrees F- and yes, it will come on in those temps, even with that so called thermostat built into the plug. 

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

What about disconnecting the block heater/cutting power about 15-20 min before you start it up in temps above 0?  That way the coolant will still be warm and you will get warm air, but it won't be too hot to set the check engine light?  I've yet to encounter the check engine light issue on the 6.6s, even when running the block heater in temps between 30-45 degrees F- and yes, it will come on in those temps, even with that so called thermostat built into the plug. 

My '21 3.oh works the same. No codes.

It's a diesel and I'm old school. I plug it into a timer and it comes on at 3am and I start it between 7-9am. Instant heat. I don't shut it off unless I know it will be off for an hour and then I will plug it in at the shop.

I just got a used 19 AT4 and was wondering if there was an engine block installed. It was -28 the other morning and the truck started but it did not want too. Where would I look to see if there was one installed. It looks like it only kicks in at -17. Let say I plugged it in and it was only -10 out but the low was to be -20 would it automatically start when it hit -17? Thanks for the help 

3 hours ago, GMCSierra99 said:

I just got a used 19 AT4 and was wondering if there was an engine block installed. It was -28 the other morning and the truck started but it did not want too. Where would I look to see if there was one installed. It looks like it only kicks in at -17. Let say I plugged it in and it was only -10 out but the low was to be -20 would it automatically start when it hit -17? Thanks for the help 

Do you have the port to hook up the heater cord?  Not sure exactly where it's at on the Sierra, but it should be shown in the owner's manual or on a YouTube video.  If the truck was originally sold in MN then I would think it came with a block heater from the factory.

Edited by AlaskaErik

The block heater works at temps below 0F and not -17F, it would be like -17-18C if you didn't live in merica.

I have a K2 truck, sold in MN and didn't come with a block heater. I wish they all did but really just comes down to who ordered the truck at the dealer or the person.

10 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

Do you have the port to hook up the heater cord?  Not sure exactly where it's at on the Sierra, but it should be shown in the owner's manual or on a YouTube video.  If the truck was originally sold in MN then I would think it came with a block heater from the factory.

Thank you I'll have to check it out. Edit. I do not have a plug in the location so I guess I do not have an block heater. Wish I did. Now that is 2 of my last trucks originally sold in MN that did not have a block heater. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by GMCSierra99

If you want to check for it, the block heater RPO code is K05.

It is standard with the LM2, and optional with others. (same with the 6.6L dmax on HD)

afaik, the only options that are provided depending on delivery locations are the winterfront / cover for the 6.6L dmax and the front license plate mounting for both LD's and HD's

3 hours ago, GMCSierra99 said:

Thank you I'll have to check it out. Edit. I do not have a plug in the location so I guess I do not have an block heater. Wish I did. Now that is 2 of my last trucks originally sold in MN that did not have a block heater. Thanks again for the help.

I'm surprised that MN dealers would order trucks without a block heater.  You can't buy a new Chevy/GMC/Ford/Ram truck in Alaska without a block heater.  Some manufacturers make it a mandatory option for certain northern tier states.

Temp was -30 this morning, truck fired right up after bring plugged in 4 hours.  Warmed up faster than my previous truck 2012 5.3L and once it was warm I had to turn off the seat heater to keep from sweating.  Tires were down about 5psi due to cold.

We don't get too many super cold days like this but good to know the diesel will handle it just fine.

Screenshot_20210209-180921_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

I'll get 3 more opportunities to use it this weekend. Supposed to be -20's sat, sun and mon morning at the cabin.  I'll just plug it in later in the evening  until I crank it the next morning. 

Edited by Minnvmax

On 2/7/2021 at 9:43 PM, gemarsh said:

My '21 3.oh works the same. No codes.

It's a diesel and I'm old school. I plug it into a timer and it comes on at 3am and I start it between 7-9am. Instant heat. I don't shut it off unless I know it will be off for an hour and then I will plug it in at the shop.

On 2/7/2021 at 8:11 PM, Colossus said:

My '20 3.0 hasn't thrown a code when I used the block heater (knock on wood). However, after reading all the code stories, I stopped using it. I may put a smart plug on it and program it to be on for 2 hours, off for an hour, and rotate that throughout the evening.

I too am a bit old school and think a diesel should be plugged in at night when it's cold. I could get in my truck and take off at 3AM because of a fire run. I don't like the fact that it would be a completely cold truck.

I used my block heater for the first time this past weekend since it was below zero.  I had it plugged in overnight and pulled the plug and started it and the fans went at full speed.  I have a banks iDash as was able to reset it and get the fans to turn off.  Code was P0111.  Next day I pulled the plug about 15 minutes before I started and the fans didn't come on

On a somewhat coldly related note, I could not get my tailgate release button to work today. I guess it didn't like the -30 weather any more than my hands and feet did.  The remote and cab release worked thank goodness but it was a bit annoying for it to not cooperate.  I hope it perks up with less cold temps coming this weekend.