1 hour ago, Diamond817 said:

Michelin makes the Defender LTX M/S in 275/50r22 and 305/45r22. The Michelin outperforms that Continental in every category. 

I think you missed what the OP wants and is asking.  The Defender LTX 275/50/22 doesn't come in an all terrain and the 285/50/22 comes in an LT tire. It's comes with an aggressive tread in Nitto, Toyo and Yokohama and are expensive.  Not the best ride and not quiet. The OP doesn't want an aggressive noisy tire and wants a quiet smooth riding all terrain tire to replace the 275/50/22.  285/45/22 is the best option.  I went with the  Firestone 285/45/22 all terrain on my 2022 refresh and couldn't be happier. 

3 hours ago, mafd2 said:

The OP doesn't want an aggressive noisy tire and wants a quiet smooth riding all terrain tire to replace the 275/50/22.  

The Michelin Defender LTX MS.

The Continental Terrain Contact AT tire the OP is interested in is not really an AT tire, it's more of a highway tire (like the Michelin Defender) being marketed as an AT tire. The Continental is not 3 peak rated. The Michelin will outperform that Continental all day on all terrains. 

On another note, going down to the 45 sidewall will reduce comfort and wheel protection. It also looks too thin on these Silverados. I wouldn't go any less than the 50 sidewall at 32.8". 33-33.5" would be better.

Edited by Diamond817

I've had 285/45/22's on past trucks and my '19 RST had Michelin Premier LTX 275/50/22's.  I must say, these Firestone A/T2's on my 2022 refresh ride better than the 275/50/22 Michelins did.  I'm more than happy with the ride quality and road noise.  Firestone is using a new updated tread compound on these AT tires called hydro grip which has more silica in it and something other AT tires don't have.

20220401_151103 (1).jpg

8 hours ago, mafd2 said:

I've had 285/45/22's on past trucks and my '19 RST had Michelin Premier LTX 275/50/22's.  I must say, these Firestone A/T2's on my 2022 refresh ride better than the 275/50/22 Michelins did.  I'm more than happy with the ride quality and road noise.  Firestone is using a new updated tread compound on these AT tires called hydro grip which has more silica in it and something other AT tires don't have.

20220401_151103 (1).jpg

The Michelin Premier tires are not even comparable to the Defender LTX. I don't know much about the new Firestones you have, but I know they don't make them in 275/50R22, so I wouldn't be interested in the first place. These trucks really need more sidewall & diameter, not less, in my opinion. The 285/50R22's while more expensive, really hit the sweet spot for these trucks at 33.5-33.8" overall diameter. The LT ratings on the 285/50's also are a benefit for our heavy high torque 1500 Silverados. 

-

Edited by Diamond817
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jaysusedcars said:

I’m currently in the same boat. I have a 21 Sierra Denali w/ 22’s and am looking to replace the Alenzas w/ an all terrain tire. Are 285/45/22’s basically the only option beside going to E rated 285/50/22’s?

You can use a 305/45R22 too. But the 285/50R22 is the best option for AT tires on these trucks. You won't notice the E rating at all if you are going to real AT's anyway.

5 hours ago, jaysusedcars said:

@diamond817 Thanks for the reply. I actually ran 285/55/22 G2's on my 17 Denali and the ride suffered dramatically due to the added weight. I'd really like to stay with an XL tire if at all possible. 

Does anyone know if the 305/45/22 will fit? 

The ride suffered dramatically due to added weight or because of the tread pattern of the AT tires? I think it's more because of the tread pattern. Ride is going to suffer when you go to real AT tires, no matter what the load rating is.

-

Edited by Diamond817

The ride suffered from pulling the added weight of the extreme heavy E rated tires. The 10 ply E rated tires are also a lot stiffer than a XL tire, hence the tougher ride.

I’d really prefer to go with an XL tire which is why I’m asking if the 305/45/22 would possibly fit.  I’m looking at AT3’s and G2’s so the deeper tread has me concerned they may rub. Thanks