Hi All,

Hopefully I placed this in the correct sub-forum...

I am due to replace my tires on my 2019 Sierra 1500 Denali with the stock 22" wheels. This means the tire size is 275/50/R22 which really limits tire availability. I have considered goin with a 285/45/R22 as that opens up more options. It is 2.1% shorter so hoping it's not going to be an issue with the speedo and mileage staying pretty close to accurate? Thoughts on that tire size? Thoughts? Concerns? How much is this really affecting my annual mileage if we say 10k miles per year? I suspect warranty company is fine with it as my mileage will add up a little faster... Any other tire sizes you guys recommend that open up options that wont require any recalibration to speedo?

In any case, I live in MN and we have a lot of snowy road days and we ice fish, etc. Using the stock tires on the lake this year was.... well... not good. I got stuck. I would like something that will perform better on snow but also not be real noisy. I have a Denali truck with no real mods because I have finally reached an age where all I want to hear in my truck is my music and nothing else lol. So road noise is a huge factor. I had a Trail Boss as a loaner for the weekend and the aggressive tire profile on those were AWFUL. But the standard all-season tire on a truck that is the same for a car just isn't it. Is there a good all-terrain tire than is quite? Does that even exist? Looking for any input and experience any of you have on the matter. 

Also considering the Continental Terrain Contact A/T as well. Reviews seem to indicate they are very quiet on road as well. These are also a 285/45/R22 (smaller diamter/circumfrence). can changing from a 50 to a 45 series tire affect road noise and comfort a lot? I had 24s on an Escalade running 30 or 35 series tires and they didn't seem to sacrifice comfort, but its been a while.

Edited by Thomas Rodriguez

1 hour ago, Thomas Rodriguez said:

Hi All,

Hopefully I placed this in the correct sub-forum...

I am due to replace my tires on my 2019 Sierra 1500 Denali with the stock 22" wheels. This means the tire size is 275/50/R22 which really limits tire availability. I have considered goin with a 285/45/R22 as that opens up more options. It is 2.1% shorter so hoping it's not going to be an issue with the speedo and mileage staying pretty close to accurate? Thoughts on that tire size? Thoughts? Concerns? How much is this really affecting my annual mileage if we say 10k miles per year? I suspect warranty company is fine with it as my mileage will add up a little faster... Any other tire sizes you guys recommend that open up options that wont require any recalibration to speedo?

In any case, I live in MN and we have a lot of snowy road days and we ice fish, etc. Using the stock tires on the lake this year was.... well... not good. I got stuck. I would like something that will perform better on snow but also not be real noisy. I have a Denali truck with no real mods because I have finally reached an age where all I want to hear in my truck is my music and nothing else lol. So road noise is a huge factor. I had a Trail Boss as a loaner for the weekend and the aggressive tire profile on those were AWFUL. But the standard all-season tire on a truck that is the same for a car just isn't it. Is there a good all-terrain tire than is quite? Does that even exist? Looking for any input and experience any of you have on the matter. 

I'm fixing to get AT tires to replace my 257/50/22.  I've checked and looked at many tire reviews on on the 285/45/22 which I'm going with.  The top 3 I'd go with is Firestone Destination AT/2, Continental Terrain Contact and the General Grabber APT.

2 hours ago, mafd2 said:

I'm fixing to get AT tires to replace my 257/50/22.  I've checked and looked at many tire reviews on on the 285/45/22 which I'm going with.  The top 3 I'd go with is Firestone Destination AT/2, Continental Terrain Contact and the General Grabber APT.

Yeah I am not sure we have any option other than 285/45/R22 at this point it seems. Reviews really seem to be pushing the Continental Terrain Contact A/Ts more than any. Lots of folks seem to be very happy with their performance and how quiet they are, etc. 

Tireracks review was pretty informative 

as well as Campus Automotive's continued reviews

The Continentals are great at everything but snow, I had a set and awful in snow.  The Tirerack reviews also say the same thing. 

Continental TerrainContact A/T (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain, 265/70R17 115S)

• What We Liked: Strong wet traction, composed ride, taut steering.
  • What We'd Improve: The ride is a little firm and winter traction is underwhelming.
  • Conclusion: The standout performer in this test if you don't see much winter weather.

We sell tons of those tires at my work, they are rather popular and I haven't heard of anyone being really disappointed in performance at all. One customer didn't like them because he thought they road worse than a set of Michelin Defenders. Which that is probably true and he has a glass ass, so I don't really count that as a negative towards the tire.

• Haha 1

@Thomas RodriguezI hear 'ya - fellow minnesotan here that has the same concerns - I also have the stock Altenza 22's that are lacking off road.  I spend 3/4 time on the highway, no problem, but 1/4 time I'm pulling an RV, and have flashbacks to being stuck on wet grass with the slick street Bridgestones.  Having said that, I don't want to give up anymore sidewall with the 285/45r22's, so I've looked at 285/50r22, and 305/45r22, to get some other size options. Nothing really looks like a great option, for the price of a lot of these, you could get takeoff 18's and open the options way up - which is my leaning.  But I would like to get someones review on the BFG Trail Terrrains, too.

1 hour ago, bwoodsmn said:

@Thomas RodriguezI hear 'ya - fellow minnesotan here that has the same concerns - I also have the stock Altenza 22's that are lacking off road.  I spend 3/4 time on the highway, no problem, but 1/4 time I'm pulling an RV, and have flashbacks to being stuck on wet grass with the slick street Bridgestones.  Having said that, I don't want to give up anymore sidewall with the 285/45r22's, so I've looked at 285/50r22, and 305/45r22, to get some other size options. Nothing really looks like a great option, for the price of a lot of these, you could get takeoff 18's and open the options way up - which is my leaning.  But I would like to get someones review on the BFG Trail Terrrains, too.

Yeah unfortunately we can’t do the 305/45/R22 tires because they require a 9.5” wide rim and ours are only 9”. Looked at 33” X 12.5 X R22 and that was  $400+ a tire. No thanks… lol 

You can run a 305/45 on a 9in rim, it's done a lot. The tire will kinda look a little different with the sidewall bubble. Some stores might not let you do it but I worked for a independent store years ago that didn't care. I work in the distribution side now so don't worry about that anymore lol.

6 hours ago, crj19 said:

The Continentals are great at everything but snow, I had a set and awful in snow.  The Tirerack reviews also say the same thing. 

Continental TerrainContact A/T (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain, 265/70R17 115S)

• What We Liked: Strong wet traction, composed ride, taut steering.
  • What We'd Improve: The ride is a little firm and winter traction is underwhelming.
  • Conclusion: The standout performer in this test if you don't see much winter weather.

So I have been reading the reviews at nauseam and here is what I have come to realize:

half the reviews say they are awesome in snow and half day they are terrible in snow. The most common delineation is most the positive reviewed we’re on 4wd and AWD vehicles and most the negative ones were on 2WD or did not specify and rarely if ever were verified purchasers, which could mean they are leaving a review for the wrong tire. Oddly enough when tested by pros these have by a massive margin the BEST wet traction and wet braking and yet some of the snow complainers also complained about hydroplaning. It seems 2WD drivers think better tires will perform miracles in snow without 4WD or AWD. Even with dedicated snow tires in my G35 it was awful in the snow. In my Equus there is a zero tires that have given me any sense of traction in the snow. In fact it is the scariest car I have ever driven in the snow. I have tried so many different tires and it just doesn’t matter. 

Ultimately every tire I have seen has people complaining about snow traction. I suspect I will need to trust that the tire design will do what it was intended to do and manage well in snow with 4WD engaged. My Escalade years ago I had a set of Geolanders (can’t remember which version) and I could not throw it sideways no matter how hard I tried until I turned off traction control. If I get similar performance to those I will be happy as hell. Those Geolanders where fairly aggressive but I do not think they were a A/T tire… I’m almost certain they were the H/Ts… I would have to imagine these will perform better in snow than an H/T? I dunno…. I will wait and see what other recommendations come in. I’m still leaning towards the Continental but not sold on anything yet. 

On 3/12/2022 at 3:21 AM, Sneaky pete said:

Hi. I've got terrain trails 20in. on a 2020 elevation. I like em there quiet and smooth. Seem to be a very sturdy tire. Haven't  had them on any slick stuff yet. I really like the looks to.

From what I gather they are not as great in snow as the other A/Ts but still light years better than all the all season and H/T tires.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i cant speak for their trail terrains but their all terrains are a quality product. Can anyone with any other tire brand here claim over 30 years of use and not a single tire issue other then natural wear? I have used BFG a/t's since i had my 1989 s10 baja truck. Then i had them on my 95 s10 zr2, then i had them on my 2005 silverado and finally on my 2014 sierra, over 50k on this current ko-2 set and still have a good amount of tread, and the ko2's don't seem to dry crack like the older ko's liked to do after 50k.

Never as much had even a slow leak in a tire in those 30 years, I'm betting not many other people with Michelins, Firestones or any other brand would be able to state the same.

Edited by BIGDOGx