Disable AFM without Tuning

well im in just bought a 2015 silverado with the 5.3 and ordered the range through the auto anything for 159.20 . i dont have nav or the hill assist so i am hoping it will not give me error codes ? only have 200 miles on it so i may wait to plug it in till i hear someone else with a 2015 that has tried it first .

even with 200 miles on the truck i do not like the switching from 4 to 8 .

so Adam has anyone reported problems yet on the 2015 models without nav or hill assist ? and sence i ordered from auto anything with it be the latest version or should i have gotten it directly from the range site ?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new member here. I bought a 2014 silverado 3 months ago and much like you guys I am unhappy with the AFM. While reading reviews online about the Range I saw where some users were having issues with the Range draining down batteries. Either draining the battery completely down or giving the sense that your battery is weak and making it harder to start your vehicle. My truck is not a daily driver so I am curious if I will have to worry about constantly plugging/unplugging the device when I take the truck out on weekends.

Also has anyone else driving a 2014 experienced the error code problems that were mentioned earlier in this forum. Hopefully an update has seen been released and solved the problem. Thanks in advance for the responses.

My 2013 is not a daily driver either. I have just left the Range plugged in and never had any hint of it taking the battery down. I have heard of folks leaving things sit for over a week and no problem. You could either just unplug it when the pickup is going to sit for a while, or get a Battery Tender trickle charger that keeps the battery up. That is not a bad idea anyway in winter time even if one did not have the Range and the pickup is going to sit for a while.

Hey guys, new member here. I bought a 2014 silverado 3 months ago and much like you guys I am unhappy with the AFM. While reading reviews online about the Range I saw where some users were having issues with the Range draining down batteries. Either draining the battery completely down or giving the sense that your battery is weak and making it harder to start your vehicle. My truck is not a daily driver so I am curious if I will have to worry about constantly plugging/unplugging the device when I take the truck out on weekends.

Also has anyone else driving a 2014 experienced the error code problems that were mentioned earlier in this forum. Hopefully an update has seen been released and solved the problem. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Give Black Bear Performance a call and get yourself a tune. No need to worry about draining your battery, unplugging some gizmo that tricks your trucks programming, and don't have to worry about codes. No issues at all and your truck will run much better than stock or with that range thing.

• 1 year later...

Will this work on my 2011 5.3 Z71 Silverado 1500?? I just got this truck and my only complaint is the lag when I hit the gas around a corner or just after going from a stop. Seems to drag unless I floor it!! From what I'm reading it switches to 4 cylinders? Shows what I know about this truck lol. Still learning...

Thanks,

Archived