2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3 Oil Pickup Tube O-ring Replacement

jmpidgeo

Question

Hello all,

2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 L33 5.3 with 208k miles.

I did some research, and found that my oil pickup tube o-ring is most likely causing my oil pressure 'issues'

The 'issue' is that in the morning during the first start up of the day, the oil pressure registers low enough to trigger the low oil pressure warning. At idle in PARK it will usually stabilize (when cold) between 5 and 20 psi, but it will drop below that when idling in DRIVE as well, during the first few minutes of operation.

Asthe engine warms up, the oil pressure increases, and generally driving down the road when cold it reads 20 psi, when warm its 30-35 psi.

Like I said, I believe the culprit is the pickup tube o-ring.

My question is, what is involved in dropping the oil pan to replace this $5 part? Do I HAVE to remove the front diff and everything associated with it?

Edited by jmpidgeo

Damn, 3 hours isn't bad at all. Probably would take me at least 3 times that to get the job done assuming nothing went wrong! Whaddya have access to? Alldata or something like that? I wish I could still access alldata. Would be amazing.

Damn, 3 hours isn't bad at all. Probably would take me at least 3 times that to get the job done assuming nothing went wrong! Whaddya have access to? Alldata or something like that? I wish I could still access alldata. Would be amazing.

You can buy a 1 year subscription to Alldata for about $26. Multi year subscription is less per year

Edited by txab

Brought it to the shop today. Hopefully they come up with the same explanation to my oil pressure issues, the low pressure when cold that gradually increases with oil temperature just seems to make this repair make sense. I'll gladly pay 3 hours of labor for the fix to save me the headache of dropping the pan. If they want me to replace the oil pump for some reason...I won't be very happy LOL.

At least my loaner 2013 GMC 1500 truck with 800 miles on it is freaking sweet!

Edited by jmpidgeo

turns out that the tech, lead engine tech, shop foreman, and GM think that the oil pump is the culprit since the seal at the pump and pickup tube was 'good'...so its getting a new oil pump. oh well, its only money LOL

edit: I would rather spend the money now rather than toasting my engine later, even if the pump may not be 'bad'

Edited by jmpidgeo