Radio screen blackout

Had a similar problem on my 16 LTZ. Problem occurs when I have multiple items plugged in (e.g., phone, ipod, ipad, and thumbdrive) at the same time. Often times the power to one or more of the outlets (USB and/or cig lighter) flashes on and off rapidly. Seems like they are not pushing enough juice to power all the outlets they have built into the truck. My screen will go blank and it won't recognize any media I have plugged in. Really frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

My 16 just starting doing this after two weeks! so the only fix as of now is just pulling the fuse and putting it back in?

Thanks

No not a fix, a work around to get it going if it doesn't come back after waiting or a restart.

My guess is that there won't be a permanent software fix anytime in the near future. Probably tens of thousands of lines of code with pieces being written under subcontract by many programmers and the whole doesn't work exactly right when a combinations of dozens of inputs are simultaneously being read by the radio/Nav head/phone/time delays/light sensors/bluetooth/4G Internet/USB ports/video drivers/Iphone/autoandroid and a whole lotta other crap that screws up the logic circuitry and causes a video freeze or some other unexpected occurrence.

So I pull a fuse now and then....I can live with it as long as the engine doesn't stall....my complaint is that the idiots didn't put a reboot button on the unit......or maybe the designers did a need for it given the complex nature of the computerized electronics, just like the need for reboot capability of a home PC, and the marketing people nixed it.

No not a fix, a work around to get it going if it doesn't come back after waiting or a restart.

My guess is that there won't be a permanent software fix anytime in the near future. Probably tens of thousands of lines of code with pieces being written under subcontract by many programmers and the whole doesn't work exactly right when a combinations of dozens of inputs are simultaneously being read by the radio/Nav head/phone/time delays/light sensors/bluetooth/4G Internet/USB ports/video drivers/Iphone/autoandroid and a whole lotta other crap that screws up the logic circuitry and causes a video freeze or some other unexpected occurrence.

So I pull a fuse now and then....I can live with it as long as the engine doesn't stall....my complaint is that the idiots didn't put a reboot button on the unit......or maybe the designers did a need for it given the complex nature of the computerized electronics, just like the need for reboot capability of a home PC, and the marketing people nixed it.

Driving on the roads here in Texas with 105+ heat.

I had my screen go black while I was listening to XM. The XM continued to play, the reverse camera worked when I put it into reverse, but the screen wouldn't change from black.

Turned the radio off by pressing the power button once (not holding it down), and turned it back on 5 seconds later...screen came back on just after I turned the radio back on.

I think it's more of a temperature thing than anything for us here.

Driving on the roads here in Texas with 105+ heat.

I had my screen go black while I was listening to XM. The XM continued to play, the reverse camera worked when I put it into reverse, but the screen wouldn't change from black.

I think it's more of a temperature thing than anything for us here.

You might be on to something.....mine crapped out after getting into the vehicle parked in the hot Sun. Forgot the sunshade and the internal temp was over 120F.

Well I too am in Central Texas, so the heat might be a cause, but not the whole issue. It will be interesting to see what GM does to fix this. I have a new HMI Module on order for mine, but they are on national back order, so who knows when they will become available?

• 8 months later...

You can buy all the extended warranties you want. GM will just say that's the way it is supposed to be, and refuse to fix it. Then one of these GM monitors here will get involved and pretend to do something beside ask for your vin and dealer

Mine went out for the fourth time. Dealer in Wenatchee wa charged me 135.00 to reprogram it. I asked them if it fixed the problem they said I don't know. If ti happens again disconnect the battery. What a bunch of a##munchers. I won't be going back ever again. What a rip off

I hear there is a problem with bad grounding near the dash speaker on the drivers side. This bad ground causes a lot of issues with dash power apparently. You can pop the dash panel closest to the windshield and take a look to make sure you have a good connection. You'll be able to see it once the panel is off. There may be a loose connection or a problem with the crimp on the spade.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2015 Silverado work truck, my radio screen has gone bank on many occasions and the constant fix is pulling a fuse on the right side of the dash. A technician showed me how to fix it. I feel I shouldn't have to deal with this in such a way. I was told it reboots the radio. Often I have to reset all the radio channels, time, etc. The other day I was listening to some music via USB and my wife put some music on via the SD card input located in the console. I liked the music and left it in. Later I noticed the radio would randomly cycle on and off and the controls were non-operational. Out of curiosity I removed the SD card and the random cycling stopped. I am so disappointed in the stock radio head I have decided to replace it with an aftermarket radio even though I will loose the warning / monitoring screen. I have searched the internet and found many people have similar problems but nobody has posted a resolve. My only concern is that if I replace the radio head is if the factory power wires are the culprit resulting in the same situation. Perhaps the stereo installer can wire into other circuits to solve the problem? I don't have the answer....

• 2 months later...

So I pulled fuses 41 and 56 for info 1&2 and I don’t think it worked. I called on Star to set up my free trial as I heard they may have an Update and what do ya know, it worked. Not saying onstar services fixed it but I believe that it’s a software bug and by it being connected to 4G service and getting signal it may keep it from wigging out. I will post an update but this bug has to be software and not hardware if it was hardware it wouldn’t sometimes work and sometimes not for this issue it needs to be updated by a new software from GM which it hasn’t since 2018 so old software in a new system imagine how often our phones get updates and if we don’t they break so same thing I’m thinking. 

• 2 weeks later...

So my infotainment screen just stopped working.  Sometimes the backup camera works and sometimes it does not.  Sometimes when you crank up the truck the screen will turn grey and then black.  I have fully dismantled the dash and pulled every connection and reseated them.  I have pulled the fuses and reset them.  I have disconnected the battery and then reconnected after a half hour.  None of the “easy” fixes have worked.  I scheduled an appointment for service but this seems like a ridiculous problem.   If anyone has any ideas or can help it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
So I pulled fuses 41 and 56 for info 1&2 and I don’t think it worked. I called on Star to set up my free trial as I heard they may have an Update and what do ya know, it worked. Not saying onstar services fixed it but I believe that it’s a software bug and by it being connected to 4G service and getting signal it may keep it from wigging out. I will post an update but this bug has to be software and not hardware if it was hardware it wouldn’t sometimes work and sometimes not for this issue it needs to be updated by a new software from GM which it hasn’t since 2018 so old software in a new system imagine how often our phones get updates and if we don’t they break so same thing I’m thinking. 
I had the same issue and they replaced the software and still didnt correct the problem

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk