Why would someone do this!?!?!?

So, yesterday morning I walk out to my truck to head over to the gym and noticed a scratch underneath the driver front door. This truck has absolutely no dings nor scratches on it even with 86K miles on the odometer. I couldn't believe what I was seeing ........ and then I noticed the scratch on the fender and eventually all the way around the entire truck. They didn't touch the hood or the bumpers, but everything else suffered damage.

I wanted to cry ...... but, I didn't!

I don't tend to piss people off (or at least not intentionally). Even so, this is way above and beyond what I might even do if I were really upset.

Brought it to a body shop for an estimate (Caliber Collision ....... great work in the past) and am being told that these scratches all go "into" the metal panels. Meaning the metal/aluminum is going to have to be sanded to remove the grooves. Of course, the truck is getting a complete paint job at a price of $7K. The shop says the work will take about a month to be completed.

Thing of it is is that I have dash cams mounted to the windshield and rear window. The front camera caught someone quickly walk by the front and turn toward the passenger side. The rear camera caught the same thing, but it looks like they were trying to stay low/out of sight. Maybe they knew the cameras were there?

Anyway, here's the damage ........

image11_zpsrtitml65.jpg

image10_zpstsyshpbs.jpg

image9_zpsgdyb84yp.jpg

image8_zpsktoxiwqm.jpg

image7_zps2t9s5zik.jpg

image6_zpshx4j48ry.jpg

image5_zpsqh1oieey.jpg

image4_zpszwv61hkv.jpg

image3_zpsz2risubh.jpg

image2_zpsfgvdy98c.jpg

image1_zpsdjuowcqi.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Do you have any bumper or window stickers on your truck anywhere?

Bumper/window stickers? Warning about the cameras?

From what the camera footage shows; this happened when I was parked in a parking lot the night before. It was dark enough that I never noticed the scratches.

Bumper/window stickers? Warning about the cameras?

From what the camera footage shows; this happened when I was parked in a parking lot the night before. It was dark enough that I never noticed the scratches.

No, I meant like political stickers and such. Some people are so hateful they'll damage stuff owned by people who disagree with them.

No, I meant like political stickers and such. Some people are so hateful they'll damage stuff owned by people who disagree with them.

Ahh, no. I don't put anything on our vehicles. The thing of it is ....... the parking lot I was at was the local Golds Gym and I parked in between a High Country and another GMC. I know both of the owners and checked with them to see if anything had happened to their trucks. For whatever reason I was the target apparently.

Man...people suck and that sucks! Sorry to see that.

I had something similar on my Tahoe I used to have, but I don't think it was as aggressive as those scratches, but you may try this. It actually worked on my Tahoe.

I ordered everything off this video and I think it ran me about $25, but I had no scratch afterwards.

HOLY PIZZA BOXES!!!! That's some serious hatred actions there. I know I don't worry too much about bumps and scratches but that would and does completely piss me off to see that...even on someone else's vehicle. Will your insurance help you out on that cost?

Go through the earlier footage and see if they cased it out before they did it.

I've replayed it from the time I left the house to the time I returned home and everything in between. Never noticed anything strange besides what I mentioned.

HOLY PIZZA BOXES!!!! That's some serious hatred actions there. I know I don't worry too much about bumps and scratches but that would and does completely piss me off to see that...even on someone else's vehicle. Will your insurance help you out on that cost?

Yeah.

I have a $500 deductible and they deal with the $6500+ balance.

Man...people suck and that sucks! Sorry to see that.

I had something similar on my Tahoe I used to have, but I don't think it was as aggressive as those scratches, but you may try this. It actually worked on my Tahoe.

I ordered everything off this video and I think it ran me about $25, but I had no scratch afterwards.

I wish the scratches weren't as bad as they were. Otherwise something like what you posted might be worth a try for me.

Turns out the hood has to be scuffed and recleared as well so ... yeah, total repaint to the body.

I wish the scratches weren't as bad as they were. Otherwise something like what you posted might be worth a try for me.

Turns out the hood has to be scuffed and recleared as well so ... yeah, total repaint to the body.

Man that just stinks. That would make me puke.

Assuming you had to make a police report for the insurance claim, hopefully the gym will have a camera on the parking lot that might have who did it [and that the police actually follow up at all]...

Nope, there is no surveillance of that entire area. Police only offer a report number over the phone here. No investigation whatsoever.

I guess there's a silver lining here though ........ a full paint job will basically give the exterior a flawless finish. I'm good with that.

Archived