New Brake Recall For Full Size GM Trucks and SUVs

Gorehamj

2 of my cousins had a complete frame swap done by Toyota, 100% FREE of charge - even installed new brake lines while the cab & bed were off. Never heard of GM coming anywhere near that kind of customer service. Toyota f'ed up using cheap metals, but at least they owned up to it and made it right.

I've lost count of the things GM has burned me on in less than 10 years ...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 of my cousins had a complete frame swap done by Toyota, 100% FREE of charge - even installed new brake lines while the cab & bed were off. Never heard of GM coming anywhere near that kind of customer service. Toyota f'ed up using cheap metals, but at least they owned up to it and made it right.

I've lost count of the things GM has burned me on in less than 10 years ...

Correct. GM only will do something IF they get caught. Right now they are getting away with the vibration issue, I only assume cause it’s not safety related.

I ordered my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack in May when I cancelled my HOLD on a 16 Vette allocation, and picked it up 2 weeks later. The 3 day I owned it I noticed dents in the roof. Doing some digging I found that this is an issue other challenger owners call “mystery dents”. I got with FCA and they agreed to pull the dents out with PDR and see what happens. Within 50 miles the dents started to re-appear. Without a big fight FCA agreed to buy the car back. To me, that is standing behind their product. That is why I bought 2 new Rams. I know if I have issues they will not just blow me off like GM did. And I have bought a new GM truck every yr the last 10 yrs.

I know all cars have their issues, but it’s how the OEM stands behind their product that’s means the most to me.

Correct. GM only will do something IF they get caught. Right now they are getting away with the vibration issue, I only assume cause it’s not safety related.

I ordered my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack in May when I cancelled my HOLD on a 16 Vette allocation, and picked it up 2 weeks later. The 3 day I owned it I noticed dents in the roof. Doing some digging I found that this is an issue other challenger owners call “mystery dents”. I got with FCA and they agreed to pull the dents out with PDR and see what happens. Within 50 miles the dents started to re-appear. Without a big fight FCA agreed to buy the car back. To me, that is standing behind their product. That is why I bought 2 new Rams. I know if I have issues they will not just blow me off like GM did. And I have bought a new GM truck every yr the last 10 yrs.

I know all cars have their issues, but it’s how the OEM stands behind their product that’s means the most to me.

That is all that anyone would expect. I never bought any vehicle because it had a good warranty.

The best trucks I've owned in the past 16 years were a '99 3/4 ton PSD and '01 1 ton PSD dually. Last of the Mohicans.

The 1 ton burned up year before last from an electrical fire unrelated to any design flaw. Had about 200,000 on it. The 3/4 ton is still "in the family" so to speak. It was hands down the best of the two and as reliable as the sun.

FWIW, a friend who was a Nascar steward and raced for Dodge years ago always rides me about my Ford and GM purchases. It's in good fun. He says "one day you'll buy a good truck".

My reply: "from who?" :rollin:

I think the last real good truck, or car for that matter, rolled off the assembly line in 1972.

I have alot of good GM trucks over the yrs. I still have a 2003 Duramax that's awsome. It's this new truck that is where GM went downhill..... actually all GMs new vehicles with development post bailout. GM attacks suppliers to cut cost and shrink their own workforce and you end up with overworked engineers designing cars that will be built with cost cut parts. It doesn't take smarts to figure out what they are putting out. Look at the disaster the C7 has become.

And for the record, I talked to GM for a yr about my 2014 silverado going all the way up to executive care, in which they admitted the vibration problems and we're working on a fix, but they had nothing for me. I gave them lots of chances...... a years worth

Speaking of post bail out trucks. I recently saw a fairly old GMC Duramax go for a lot more than I would have ever thought a truck with100,000 miles and "years" on it would bring. It was an '07 or '08. Salesman stated that the "old ones" are popular for a lot of reasons, simplicity being the main one. No DEF for one and fewer bells and whistles. That was the beauty of the old trucks. Joking with a friend today about the simplest truck I ever owned. A '54 3100.

3 on the tree and heat. Roll up windows and not much else. Built "like a truck".

Speaking of post bail out trucks. I recently saw a fairly old GMC Duramax go for a lot more than I would have ever thought a truck with100,000 miles and "years" on it would bring. It was an '07 or '08. Salesman stated that the "old ones" are popular for a lot of reasons, simplicity being the main one. No DEF for one and fewer bells and whistles. That was the beauty of the old trucks. Joking with a friend today about the simplest truck I ever owned. A '54 3100.

3 on the tree and heat. Roll up windows and not much else. Built "like a truck".

That's exactly why I like my truck. Not a bunch of extra junk like tire pressure sensors and AFM to worry about. The other big advantage is that the cost of admission was only $4200. No way I'd ever touch a brand new diesel pickup either.

I hear that - you'd have to add another zero to your purchase price ... for a USED one. :throwup:

I wouldn't trade my 2003 Dmax for a brand new 2016 diesel, no matter who built it. The diesel motor is a great thing, but the emissions technology is relatively new (gassers have been choked down since the 70’s, so it has “experience”) and all the emissions crap that’s bolted to it are very expensive to replace.

I wouldn't trade my 2003 Dmax for a brand new 2016 diesel, no matter who built it. The diesel motor is a great thing, but the emissions technology is relatively new (gassers have been choked down since the 70’s, so it has “experience”) and all the emissions crap that’s bolted to it are very expensive to replace.

Some businesses have shied away from diesels. The up front costs with added maintenance and higher fuel prices make them harder to justify unless it is purely for towing heavy loads. There are so many good gas engines that, like you state, are "experienced".

OT speaking of which:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/feb/performance-center/0202-racing-engines.html :thumbs:

There was an Excel spreadsheet on one of the diesel websites that calculated the "cross-over" point where the diesel surpassed the gas engine counterpart. The only chart I've found is a "hard copy" screenshot done in 2010. The crossover didn't happen until around 176,000 miles. The input was 22 mpg diesel and 11 mpg gas. Pie in the sky mpg on the diesel mpg imho.

There was an Excel spreadsheet on one of the diesel websites that calculated the "cross-over" point where the diesel surpassed the gas engine counterpart. The only chart I've found is a "hard copy" screenshot done in 2010. The crossover didn't happen until around 176,000 miles. The input was 22 mpg diesel and 11 mpg gas. Pie in the sky mpg on the diesel mpg imho.

Back in early 2000's before EGR, Cats, DPF, a diesel could get 22 mpg (common for my 03 Dmax) and a gasser in 3/4 ton would only get about 11 mpg. Now with emissons crap on diesels you're lucky to get 16 mpg in a diesel, and with AFM, DI, VVT a Gasser can get 20-22 on hwy (well, maybe not a 3/4 ton but a 1500 can easy). My how the times have changed. Top that off with a premium upcharge with No.2 compared to gas, its a no brainer UNLESS you need the torque to pull all the time, OR if your just one of them guys that need a diesel to help you feel more manly

Ram and Toyota often have more recalls than GM. GM is more into it this year due to legal/publicity issues. I'm glad they are more into it, rather than Toyota who tries their best to keep from doing a recall....

LIke posted above by 01LS1: Toyota 1.2 Billion fine for concealing safety defects. http://www.nytimes.c...quiry.html?_r=0

You think that fine was about "safety" :lol: yeah, ANCHORED FLOORMATS were wading up in front of gas pedals and holding them down :lol:

In my experince, newer GMs just aren't made to last anymore. You still see 400s all over the place, half of them look like they have been to hell and back. I couldn't glue my 900 back together fast enough. I don't remember the roof sheet metal seperating on any of the older SUVs.

I was all set to buy a new Camaro, until my I started driving my Tahoe daily. That was my third post 2000 GM to just go to pieces before 150k. My family ran many pre 2000 GMs to 200k or close.

What do you call the GM ignition scandal? U say GM didn't try to cover it up?

All OEMs do their best NOT to admit fault. The recalls don't bother me as much as items that SHOULD be recalled and are not. Everyone is well aware of the vibration issues on new trucks.

I call this 100% Bull. I researched these accidents. They all had "excessive weight on their keychains" I was told in the 1980's to not put too much weight on keychains because it could cause problems. GM caught hell because of humans stupidity. Totally NOT GM's fault. Sorry, you failed.

Archived