In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Chevy aims to demonstrate F-150's aluminum bed is pathetic

Zane

skidsteer_Silverado_Bed.jpeg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

6/8/16

Chevrolet is taking Ford to task on the strength and durability of the F-150's all-aluminum bed. In a series of videos released by the automaker, the company repeatably demonstrates how the bed of the Ford F-150 turns to swiss-cheese during three side by side demonstrations that compare it to the high-strength steel bed used on the Silverado.

Spend a few minutes and watch these three videos in order.

Chevy Silverado vs. Ford F-150: Howie Long Compares Truck Beds | Chevrolet

Silverado Strong: Steel Bed Outperforms Aluminum Bed - 2016 Silverado | Chevrolet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTm2F4ysQrE

Silverado Impact Strength: Engineering Overview and Demonstration Methodology | Chevrolet

So, what do you think? Will these types of comparisons help bolster Silverado's image in the future? Will it sway potential buyers? Or is it one giant hint that the steel bed isn't going anywhere in the T1 Platform 2018 Silverado?

Would be more interesting if they also compared the weight and cost of the aluminum bed vs the steel bed. How much weight did Ford save going aluminum and how much more is the Ford Customer paying for it.

The second thought was how would they compare if both trucks had good berliners in them. I suppose LineX will give us the answer to that in their next commercial. Maybe I'll go check UTube to see if LineX has already done it. By the way - so far I haven't seen one 2014-2017 Customer owned Truck without a bed liner. So it might be a really GREAT AD for LineX or for the Ford Salesmen to sell bed liners with their trucks.

• Like 1

so in couple years chevy will have aluminum beds and then what

Thank you. Correct.

So what's the point of this expensive commercial "test" ?

Does GM plan on stronger aluminum in the next generation of full size trucks?

A hogwash "test" to me.

Would be more interesting if they also compared the weight and cost of the aluminum bed vs the steel bed. How much weight did Ford save going aluminum and how much more is the Ford Customer paying for it.

The second thought was how would they compare if both trucks had good berliners in them. I suppose LineX will give us the answer to that in their next commercial. Maybe I'll go check UTube to see if LineX has already done it. By the way - so far I haven't seen one 2014-2017 Customer owned Truck without a bed liner. So it might be a really GREAT AD for LineX or for the Ford Salesmen to sell bed liners with their trucks.

Assuming the bed liner would solve the puncture problem, I don't think Ford salesmen are going to want to point out how easily their beds are punctured if you don't buy an expensive bed liner.

I also couldn't help but think that the way that the aluminum bed also cracks around the punctures that with vibration and further abuse those cracks are going to expand.

Edited by Callous

My first thought was that it's not uncommon to put in a bed liner or have it lined. That would most likely help the Ford and provided even more protection for the Chev. If with a good liner the Ford's bed holds up much better then it becomes more of what the aluminum bed offers otherwise such as weight savings and corrosion protection.

The ads will make prospective owners think a bit.

Ahh, but that is the point, When CHEVY makes an aluminum bed it will be designed LIKE A ROCK....

I think I read its like 900 pounds saved (on the whole truck not just the bed)

Wouldn't matter to me, don't care about saving money on gas, Just want the toughest truck I can get, as a matter of fact when I saw the FORD commercial touting the aluminum truck a month or so ago I just laughed....

Also the idea that a bed liner would save the FORD makes no difference to me, I care more about whats under the liner :)

Do people really abuse their truck beds like this? I wouldn't. I'd have a sheet of 3/4 plywood or at least a bed liner. And I'd have the front-end loader drivers get a little close to the bed rail and dump more slowly. Yes, these things take time. But changing the bed liner or plywood every few years isn't that big of a deal. And how often does one dump this kind of load into a pickup. An extra 5 seconds to dump would not be a big penalty. Now, if the Ford bed was damaged more even with a bed liner or more careful dump, the promo would be much more convincing. With plywood, I'd guess there would be little damage to either truck.

My truck has the factory spray-in bed liner. It's amazingly tough, but I don't think it would help much in this test.

Edited by hclarkx
  • Like 1

Everything else equal even with a Bed liner the GM is going to hold up better. Maybe GM goes aluminum on the front body and leaves a steal bed on the back in the next generation. I think currently the Ford weighs like 155 lbs less than the GM. GM already reduced weight a bunch by going aluminum suspension pieces amongst other places.

Do people really abuse their truck beds like this? I wouldn't. I'd have a sheet of 3/4 plywood or at least a bed liner. And I'd have the front-end loader drivers get a little close to the bed rail and dump more slowly. Yes, these things take time. But changing the bed liner or plywood every few years isn't that big of a deal. And how often does one dump this kind of load into a pickup. An extra 5 seconds to dump would not be a big penalty. Now, if the Ford bed was damaged more even with a bed liner or more careful dump, the promo would be much more convincing. With plywood, I'd guess there would be little damage to either truck.

My truck has the factory spray-in bed liner. It's amazingly tough, but I don't think it would help much in this test.

Forget about the front end loader with concrete for a minute, what about the tool box knocking a hole in the bed? That IS a real world test that many people will experience.

• Like 3

Capabilities aside. I like how they used and XLT instead of a Lariat, King Ranch, or even Platinum. Its not like Chevy used their WT, LS, or even LT. Visually, along with capability would persuade me to buy the Chevy. Its a good looking truck. Im gonna take a picture of this dudes GMC Work truck, its destroyed from concrete work but i could only imagine what it would look like if aluminum.

Edited by anthony2558

Forget about the front end loader with concrete for a minute, what about the tool box knocking a hole in the bed? That IS a real world test that many people will experience.

I agree, though it's a lesson learned so should only happen once (and hopefully on a prior truck). BTW, was that toolbox really empty? I don't think the box for my electric jack hammer would be as heavy as that one seemed to be.

I keep hearing this but I can't find anything confirming that the beds will be aluminum. I hope that at least the bed floors will still be steel.

GM's stronger steel is great and all, but my last 2 GM's trucks have rusted to shit, both on the body and in the bed. I'm looking forward to aluminum just so I can stop having to repair rust bubbles in my paint.

• Like 1